Easiest way to remove right side motor mount bracket

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
I was just finishing up doing a timing belt on my 01 Golf and was tightening up the 2 bolts for the right side engine mount into the engine bracket ( the ones that are 44 ft. lbs + 90 degrees) and one of them was stripped. I was only at 30 lbs. when I noticed this. I removed the top mount and could see the threads on the side closest to the front of the car were badly stripped. Anyway I am trying to remove the mount and am not sure if it will come out from the top or bottom of the car. I have done 4 TB jobs on this car and I never had it out so this is a new one for me. I have already ordered a new mount and the 4 stretch bolts but would appreciate any insight into removing this mount.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
you have to get the engine as low as possible.

be careful of your downpipe flex section in the exhaust.

might also help to remove the turbo inlet pipe to make maneuvering room.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
You'll have to remove all the sheet metal timing belt covers and like growler said, get the engine as low as possible. When you have it there, you'll need to kinda work it around the side of the engine as you rotate it (hard to explain the motion).

When you put it back together, use the new torque spec: 74ft lbs.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Almost impossible to remove with TB tensioned, even in the lowered position.

Support engine. Lock everything. Untension the TB and pop the cam sprocket loose. Remove top bolt from engine mount. Lower engine. Remove harmonic balancer. Remove the two TB tins. Remove the two bolts that hold the mount to the block. Remove lower small roller. and put TB behind the roller stud. Slide mount backwards and rotate slightly and it will come out.

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
Thanks for the help so far guys and yes that was my next question paramedick. I use a homemade engine support along with a jack under the oil pan to raise/lower the engine and I have run out of threads lowering on my homemade engine support. Before I just relied on the jack and lowered the engine further I was going to ask if this can be done with the belt on or does it need to be removed or just tension released. I am having fits with the cast iron tit that the timing cover screws in on the bottom, the plastic shield on top and the water pump sprocket on one side and the tb belt on the other. Just to clarify it does come out from below the car right? And should I try lowering the engine further or remove/release tension on the belt? Thanks again.

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
Finally got it off. Lowering the engine as far as it would go and I still could not remove it. I released the tensioner but still was difficult so I removed the cam sprocket and was able to remove it. Thanks for all the help, it was much appreciated.

reddtekk

TDI
1996 Passat TDI
Just did it from the top

I was getting ready to pull what's left of my hair out over this. Just did a timing belt and had put the tin on the engine and was ready to go......:mad:

I tried a few ways both top and bottom. Here is what worked on my U.S. 2003 Golf TDI:

First I jacked the engine up as far as I could go without hitting anything on the cowl. Next I leaned over the bumper and pulled the intake manifold as far forward as I could get it. I slipped it over the cam sprocket and rested it just on top of the curved plastic piece that gets in the way of putting the front screw boss into place. I then lowered the engine a few inches, pulled forward again, and was able to sneak the bracket away from the front of the engine enough to pass by that plastic shield and rest it in place.

Glad I didn't have to tear everything apart again. My downpipe flex section is already shot, so I wasn't worried about stretching it - but for a car with a good pipe this may tear it up. The turbo flange is usually surprisingly easy to remove. May want to do that if you are afraid of screwing up your exhaust system with this maneuver.

rwtags

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2000 Beetle
Just did it from the top

I was getting ready to pull what's left of my hair out over this. Just did a timing belt and had put the tin on the engine and was ready to go......:mad:

I tried a few ways both top and bottom. Here is what worked on my U.S. 2003 Golf TDI:

First I jacked the engine up as far as I could go without hitting anything on the cowl. Next I leaned over the bumper and pulled the intake manifold as far forward as I could get it. I slipped it over the cam sprocket and rested it just on top of the curved plastic piece that gets in the way of putting the front screw boss into place. I then lowered the engine a few inches, pulled forward again, and was able to sneak the bracket away from the front of the engine enough to pass by that plastic shield and rest it in place.

Glad I didn't have to tear everything apart again. My downpipe flex section is already shot, so I wasn't worried about stretching it - but for a car with a good pipe this may tear it up. The turbo flange is usually surprisingly easy to remove. May want to do that if you are afraid of screwing up your exhaust system with this maneuver.
Sorry if i am reviving this from the dead, but this comment helped me out dramatically.
There was no way it was going in from the bottom, i had the engine as low as it could go and there was no way it was hitting the sidewall before it could even pivot into the slot.
I was able to follow these instructions, i jacked it up till it hit the cowl, it rotated the engine so it was more horizontal. Then i was able to feed the mount in upside down, get the mount portion that fits under the tab, and i was able to rotate the mount while rocking the engine front to back. When it got close to the timing belt plastic, i pulled the engine as far forward as i could, used a small pry bar on the AC line to pull up about a 1/4", centered the bolts into the mount, and hit the engine mount into place.

Thanks reddtekk!