Longblock! or just fix the bad parts

rowl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, Black
OK, I unfotunately have the worst case scenario. I got the head off my timing belt disaster and the head is a gonner and the last piston (furthest from the timing belt, I assume #4) is beat to HE##! The exhaust valve was imbedded in the recessed portion of the piston. The good news, if there is any, is that not a single one of the other pistons or valves appear to have been touched. I think it jumped time, but now I just wonder if a valve didn't just break.

On to my real question; I have seen some discussion on this topic, but cannot find a lot; can I get some opinions on whether I should just get a longblock, or should I consider getting a head and replacing only the bad piston and rod. I assume the rod will be bent due to the condition of the piston. I have seen some say replace the bad parts and drive on.

By the way, I have a 2000 Jetta GL TDI, Manual Trans., 78,000 mi. It is my son's car and he thinks he is about to die because he is away at college and NO RIDE! There are worse things, he will survive......Thanks for any advice I can get and I am sure I will have more questions as I decide what to do and proceed to get him back on the road.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
rowl, it is sort of up to you as far as how much work you want to do and how much money you want to spend.

You can get a new turn-key engine for around $3500 usually, and this will include a turbo, injection pump, clutch, etc. They are not difficult to put in yourself.

Or, so save some money you could buy a used engine, or used head and assorted bits, and new gaskets, seals, belts, etc.

If it were mine, I'd buy a head, and whatever you need for the lower end, then put it all back together with a new timing belt deluxe kit from dieselgeek.

I may have a piston and rod (used) to sell if you cannot find one. Sold the head I had already, sorry.

jequinn

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Blue
Sorry to hear about this.

Tell your son to get ready to go out and go sit in front of the girls dorm on Friday and Saturday. There will be groups going to Party - Look for groups of two or three and ask for a ride. Worked great
for me in college and made finally getting a car sort of anti-climatic. I remember this one time arriving at a party with two girls sitting on my lap and another girl driving a convertible corvette. Way worth not having a car...

Oh yeah engine stuff. My opinion based on ONLY one case. Buy a good used engine or rebuilt longblock (Dieselgeek had two weeks ago). There are used engines for $2500 on down to $1300. Keep the old one for spare parts or parts it out for money. I tore mine all the way down and even with ZERO visible bottom end damage to the pistons etc. the bearings were all wiped. Piston rings are $95 to $130 PER PISTON. It adds up quick.

If any of the guru types chime in ditch my advice for their's. It'll be better.

Much luck. Man... I still miss college.

rowl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, Black
Thanks for the feedback. I am still kicking it around. I guess I will shop around a little to see what I can find in the way of used, rebuilt, or even new longblocks first. Any websites or other suggetions would be appreciated. If I can't find something I can afford, I suppose I will go with the rebuild of mine. If someone has a rebuilt head I may very well be interested, and I will probably contacy you oilhammer on some of those parts I will need. I want to keep the car and try to get my son through college with it, so I want to repair it sufficiently to be at least in the condition it was before.

I will also suggest the possibilities of what catching a ride can offer too jequinn. Thanks for the suggestion.

millfly

TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Get the long block. Unless you really know what your doing and plan to do the work yourself. Find a reputable side shop that will warranty their work and get a VW rebuild (If avial) You car is too low mileage to patch.

Millfly