HELP: front strut issue

rbptdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDi 2-door - no mods unless you count missing parts and a leaking sunroof
Mos def. First of the season.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Correct. PO had shoulder nut on top.

Back together. Much better. Note 2" lift spacer.

Bearing sits like a washer on top of the strut shaft shoulder.

How are you supposed to torque these things to 44lbs? Can't hold the 7mm hex still with any kind of torque wrench on either nut...

I know you have everything put back together, but to answer your question (for the benefit of others reading this thread) about the torque look at the first pic on the fixmyvw link. It shows the metalnerd tool for just this situation.

Last edited:

slevang

TDI
2002 NB TDI
Alternatively, if you use a spark-plug socket on the nut, you can make use of a crows foot to get the torque wrench on.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Alternatively, if you use a spark-plug socket on the nut, you can make use of a crows foot to get the torque wrench on.
My thoughts exactly. Spark plug sockets have a hex head on one end, so you can put a wrench (or a crow's foot) on it.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Sigh, I've done all this but still pretty much impossible to get a full torque on KONI struts. Wanting to say that Koni uses a smaller allen size. I've done three sets and have ended up just torquing as high as I can: first job I'd busted my allen wrench, in which case I went to the max that the tools would go (then learned that I cannot push too far).

rbptdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDi 2-door - no mods unless you count missing parts and a leaking sunroof
I had 7mm hex on top. Think they were Bilstiens.

With the spark plug socket, my 3" hex driver socket was too short to reach - would need at least a 4".

But even if I were counter-holding the hex through the top of a spark plug socket, best I could do would be a large open end on the top of the socket, right? Don't have a crow's foot adapter for my TW, but even if I did, wouldn't that throw off the torque reading?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I had 7mm hex on top. Think they were Bilstiens.

With the spark plug socket, my 3" hex driver socket was too short to reach - would need at least a 4".

But even if I were counter-holding the hex through the top of a spark plug socket, best I could do would be a large open end on the top of the socket, right? Don't have a crow's foot adapter for my TW, but even if I did, wouldn't that throw off the torque reading?

Yes. and depends

https://www.finishing.com/118/94_crows_foot_torque.shtml

This one may be better.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/renderers/torquewrench/wrench_formula_main_en.asp

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Don't have a crow's foot adapter for my TW, but even if I did, wouldn't that throw off the torque reading?
Yes, slightly depending on how much longer it was.
For the strut I don't think I would be that concerned.
How many times have we tightened things w/o a torque wrench? ;)
I'm sure we've all done it on things.

DavidMTroyer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta
My understanding is that if the crow's foot is at a 90 degree angle from the torque wrench it won't affect torque spec. Pretty sure that's how you're supposed to use the metalnerd tool, as well.

rbptdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Or a hammer as a 1/2" ratchet?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
My understanding is that if the crow's foot is at a 90 degree angle from the torque wrench it won't affect torque spec. Pretty sure that's how you're supposed to use the metalnerd tool, as well.
Correct. Crows foot goes at a 90 degree angle. If you put it "inline" it will be MATERIALLY off. Don't do that.

rbptdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Understood. What's the top of a 13/16" spark plug socket? 7/8"?

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The end on mine is 13/16.
Don't overthink the torque thing, it's a simple lever and force thing, foot pounds, if you add length to the lever the calculation is adjusted, a crows foot is only like an inch, so you would reduce the force by 1/12.