Head is hurting from a Pd150 swap.

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Ok so quick once over. I'm at the near end of my brain with this swap.

2003 gas 2.0 wagon with a pd150 in. Customer brings it in because of no boost. It runs, it drives, just no boost. 100% limp mode all the time. While looking through all wiring, trying a few combinations, it still runs and drives just not boost.

I take the battery out to test some wires. 2 weeks later I get back to the car. Put the battery back in and...... crank no start.

Check fuses, all good. Check timing, good. Check crank sensor, acting funny so replaced, still no start
Cam sensor test good. Lift pump good. Tandem pump seemed a little low on pressure when cranking so swapped a good known one on. Still crank no start. Also, have tried a few different ecu's.

So I guess I'll start with this question? Is there something I am missing from staring at this thing to long.

Thanks if anyone can help. Starting again on in soon.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Make sure the big round connector is plugged into side of head. Any faults? Check for gas in tank? Pull fuel hose you might be surprised. Customer brought me a car with gas in it. Drove 20 min after putting gas in it. Left it cus it was running bad. Next no start. Messed with everything, another ecu etc. cracked a feel line and surprise. Benzine !

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Big round connector is hooked up, injector harness checked as well and all looked good. Fuel in tank is fine. I ran about a quart out in to a container to test the lift pump. It's all diesel also.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Did you scan for current codes?
Do all the dash lights come on?
I assume 'Lift pump good' means you hear it running or did you take the feed line off after the filter and get -fuel- not -gas- ?

You posted as I was typing. :)

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Current codes are the same as it had when it came in. Showing a short to ground for the n75, n18 and intake flap (which is deleted). Reasons for the no boost issue before this crank no start had started.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check fuse 34, 10 amp.
Use an ohm meter. :)
If the fuse is bad check for the short listed.
While it's out with the key on test there's power in the fuse box where the fuse plugs in.
If not check relay 109.

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Wonneber it's a 2.0 gas to p150 swap. So some of the curcits are different than a stock pd150. But all fuses and relays checker out good.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wonneber it's a 2.0 gas to p150 swap. So some of the curcits are different than a stock pd150. But all fuses and relays checker out good.
I'm assuming its the 2.0 gas fuse box.
Either engine use the fuse as far as I can tell, Bentley lists it as 'Engine Control Elements'. It does not distinguish 2 separate fuses or relays for power.
It also provides power to relay 109 which is the power for the ECU and such.
Is there a relay 109 there?

Now that I thought about it a few minutes, for that major swap did they swap the power harness as well?
PD150 is newer so my pointer could be wrong.
My Bentley covers 99 to 05 which is PD

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Is the tach registering when you crank?

109 relay still should be held suspect.

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
No. and there is not 109 at this time do to being a 2.0 gas swap. My 00 alh car does not show rpm when I crank either.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Hm... I'd read that this tended to indicate an issue with the CPS:confused:

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Uhoh I wish. tested good. Swapped with known good one also and still no dice. Cam sensor also.

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
A simple resistance check can be done to prove out the senser. Double checked all fuses and relays today. Still nothing found. It almost points to a bad ecu, but I have 3 here and all do the same thing.

And no you can not use vcds while cranking.