ACTUAL purchases of '15 USED (buyback) TDIs

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Phase 2 is supposed to add a sensor to make certain the emissions system is working. That's it. If it does anything else I'm certain people will be in here yelling.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It also includes some component replacement depending on mileage and transmission to ensure the vehicle performs to the EPA standard throughout the warranty period. Depending on how many miles you drive between purchase and the stage 2 fix you may or may not receive new hardware.

But the Stage 2 is no big deal. I don't plan to take mine in at all.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Yes, but as I read it, with the same parts - more of a 'refresh' than a 'replace' so should be zero change to how it performs/behaves/etc.

eutecticpt

TDI
2004 Jetta
I tend to keep my cars a long time and want something that will take me a good way into retirement which is about five years away. what do you mean by Miles and miles, years and years? Does anyone think that the phase 2 mods will reduce the longevity of the vehicle?

eutecticpt

TDI
2004 Jetta
One more questions. Phase 1 of the mods results in more DEF dosing. Will the additional DEF dosing result in more loading of the diesel particulate filter? I have heard that the particulate filters are very expensive to replace. Starting to think that the gain in fuel economy may not justify the complexity of the emission system

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
I tend to keep my cars a long time and want something that will take me a good way into retirement which is about five years away. what do you mean by Miles and miles, years and years? Does anyone think that the phase 2 mods will reduce the longevity of the vehicle?
Nope, because phase 2 *IS NOT MODS!!!!* It adds *one* trivial sensor and *replaces* a few wear parts with identical replacements . . .

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, maybe . . . but considering the sensor is for just DEF quality, it won't change how the car runs . . . it'll just keep folks from filling with water . . . So still a big *nothing* in terms of any reliability or mileage changes . . .

eutecticpt

TDI
2004 Jetta
The car I am considering has 17,000 miles with the six speed manual. I don't anticipate putting 53000 miles on the car by the time the Phase 2 mods roll out. If the car does not have 70,000 miles on it when the Phase 2 mods begin, will I be ineligible to have the emission components replaced at no cost to me?

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
The car I am considering has 17,000 miles with the six speed manual. I don't anticipate putting 53000 miles on the car by the time the Phase 2 mods roll out. If the car does not have 70,000 miles on it when the Phase 2 mods begin, will I be ineligible to have the emission components replaced at no cost to me?
You'd be ineligible to have the emission equipment upgrade of you took it in with under 70k. (besides one sensor, eventually). I doubt there will be a short deadline to take it in though. Heck, GM is still hounding me to take a car in for the ignition key fix. I plan on taking mine in with exactly 70k, as it will cost VW a huge anount of $, require them reimbursing an entire day dealer labor and rental, and will surely have to include additional warranty months/miles starting the day of the emissions hardware upgrade.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
11Y/162K , they are confused. It is court-imposed and cant be changed.
And dont forget free/new DPF/Cat assy next year, and may be another one
before 150K miles.
Welcome to the "We aint gots nuttin to worry about" club.
Unless Volkswagen runs out of money. ;):eek:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
VW is worlds #1 auto maker, de facto backed by trust in/financial might of 4th Reich.
Javol. She'll be around long time.

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Would it be safe to say (or required) that all 2015 CPOs have gotten fixed and are covered by the extended warranty?

What about non-CPOs that are sold by VW dealers?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO's yes - it a requirement to be eligible for CPO. Non CPO is anyones guess - there are no requirements that anything be done with those to permit sale.

Ultimately, check for the labels under the hood if there is any doubt.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Non CPO is anyone's guess - there are no requirements that anything be done with those to permit sale.
Hmmm . . . I would certainly understand that for a private party sale or a used car lot sale, but I would think that if they were sold by VW dealers there might be a requirement there.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Throughout this entire ordeal, dealers have been allowed to sell used non-CPO TDIs without restriction. Nothing that I know of has changed that . . .

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
VW dealer sales must be "fixed"
Don, tadawson sharply disagrees with you. What is your basis for saying that non-CPO TDIs "must be fixed"? Is it in the settlement agreement?

I'm just trying to get the right answer here.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Don is most likely correct. I can't imagine that a VW dealer would sell any TDI that's not fixed, CPO or not. From conversations I've had with my local dealer they'd have hell to pay if they didn't do it. Besides, they get paid to perform the fix so they have incentive to do the work. Warranty? Probably, since that's part of the court agreement, but I'm not sure.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't imagine that a VW dealer would sell any TDI that's not fixed, CPO or not. From conversations I've had with my local dealer they'd have hell to pay if they didn't do it. Besides, they get paid to perform the fix so they have incentive to do the work.
IBW, yes, it makes logical sense. But tadawson says the VW dealers have been selling non-CPO TDIs all along. I frankly wasn't aware of that. I even thought the Stop Sale might have included those.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
IBW, yes, it makes logical sense. But tadawson says the VW dealers have been selling non-CPO TDIs all along. I frankly wasn't aware of that. I even thought the Stop Sale might have included those.
I bought my 2014 Golf TDI from a VW dealer - used, back in March.
There was no fix at the time and no restriction on its sale. (only restrictions were CPO'd and 'new' TDIs for the stop sale)
I imagine now that they have a fix available, it would have only been sold post-fix.

It is likely that there is a document from VW to the dealers asking/telling them to only sell used cars that are fixed now, as 98% of them can be.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Keep in mind that now that there is a fix, that what they are *allowed* to do and what they *actually* do may differ . . . But in the pre-fix days, there are multiple non-CPO dealer sales documented. The issue was more that nobody wanted to take a lowball trade to give the dealer the TDI in the first place, since the buyback values were known, so it was likely not seen too often . . .

Last edited:

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I am tempted to find me a 2015 Passat TDI to replace my 2010 Jetta TDI. The fact that it is bigger, newer, less miles, and less wear and tear on the vehicle make me want one bad. It would cost me about $7k-$10k if I sold my Jetta back, but it is tempting.

When I factor in I need to do my timing belt, brakes are due soon, and DSG next 10k miles, it could save me some $$. On the other hand my Jetta TDI has never given me mechanical issues. My ignition switch did just go out, but it's fixed now. It's nice knowing how our car was treated, but a newer car does sound nice.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Unless Volkswagen runs out of money. ;):eek:
Might happen

Keeping my options open.

Plan (A) is to do the fix, part one and two.

RESTITUTION WITH BOSCH = $7,051-ish

And watch VW like a hawk.:confused:

But you are correct, if they BK, I will get hit:mad:
VW is not holding the buyback money. As part of the agreement, the money is in a trust that we are all or will be drawing from.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
VW is not holding the buyback money. As part of the agreement, the money is in a trust that we are all or will be drawing from.
Forgive my lack of EXACT figures

The trust is small-ish

And they add to it as funds are drown down

In the case of a BK

... good bye NEW funding:(

I'm I wrong:confused:

eutecticpt

TDI
2004 Jetta
So--according to the Carfax the car I'm looking at was serviced at about 4,000 miles. I reached out to the dealership that serviced the car and this is the response I received.

After running the VIN # in our system there is only one record of this vehicle being in our service department. It was on 2/11/2016 at 4,112 miles. Customer complaint was that the "vehicle stutters and hard to add diesel fuel" and car was towed in. We found gasoline in the system. We removed the in tank fuel pump drained and cleaned the fuel tank. Replaced the fuel filter and added diesel fuel. Test drove and no issues found.

To say the least, the customer dodge a bullet here because I have seen this same thing cause a lot of damage, but it appears that this minor repair fixed their issue. Let me know if you have anymore questions or if I can be of anymore assistance to you. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Have not taken delivery of the car--is this a deal breaker?

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Have not taken delivery of the car--is this a deal breaker?
Potentially, for sure.

If you can't find any other car spec'd like this one that you want, use this as a bargaining chip to get even more $ off or further warranty coverage.

The whole HPFP issue was based on VW claiming that a tiny amount of gas could destroy your whole fuel system and blame the customer for any and all of the costly repairs.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
There are a lot of conflicting stories about mis-fueling and damage to the fuel system with these cars. Some say it's the death knell, others have done what your dealer did with no ill effects. And the EA288 seems less sensitive in general to fuel issues than the earlier common rail TDIs. And keep in mind that the fuel system (HPFP at least) is covered by the extended emissions warranty. Don't know about injectors.

However, having said that I wouldn't want that car. It might be fine, but the concern would always be in the back of my mind. I'd suggest you find another.