45 cetane in central Virginia

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GTDI (sold), 12 GTI, 98 M3/4, 95 M3
I was at G-Force last night and forgot to drive through the Hess, duh.

Anyway I'm told that one has two pumps now, one with some sort of orange stickers/labels. So they've either got regular and premium, or on-road and off-road. The reason it sticks in my mind is because the orange stickered/labeled pumps in South Boston are the ones with 45 cetane stickers... and that's pretty new, definitely in the last few months.

RHunter

TDI
2011 JSW
Gonna check this week, hopefully the HESS station here in Richmond at the corner of 360 & Laburnum may have this 45 cetane diesel as well.
I just went through this HESS this morning to check up on this.
2 standalone pumps, one with Kerosene (Orange Label) the other with plain ol' 40 cetane (Blue Label) :( (based upon the stickers on the pumps...)
Guess I'll stick to Woodfin B5 for the moment...

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for checking/posting. And, interesting. Orange label pump was definitely not kerosene and definitely had a 45 cetane sticker @ South Boston HESS.

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Went by at lunch today. Diesel & kerosene pumps are separate from gas pumps. Looks like newish stickers, but still 40 cetane diesel. Checked stickers on both sides.

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
Really wish the companies could/would standardize this stuff at their stations. :confused:

Here's the one in South Boston VA...

sullystull

TDI
2011 JSW 6spd manual
Can any of you confirm the woodfin watchcard locations are still (and reliably) selling B5 diesel? I live in WV but my in-laws are in Manakin Sabot and I'm looking for a source for B2 or B5 when we are visiting them. Or, if you know of any other locations around Richmond that sell bio blends. On findbiodiesel.org, the only locations on the west side are the woodfin stations. Thanks

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Can any of you confirm the woodfin watchcard locations are still (and reliably) selling B5 diesel? I live in WV but my in-laws are in Manakin Sabot and I'm looking for a source for B2 or B5 when we are visiting them. Or, if you know of any other locations around Richmond that sell bio blends. On findbiodiesel.org, the only locations on the west side are the woodfin stations. Thanks
Woodfin does not have a B5 statement on the pump, but has has one that claims B5-B20. Speaking with Woodfin ops, they say it's B5. Personally, I would be more comfortable if they backed that up with a B5 sticker.

As such, I assume it's B20 and splash blend it down to be within VW B5 requirements.

sullystull

TDI
2011 JSW 6spd manual
Thanks I64 for the info. I haven't decided yet if I am going to go through the steps of obtaining a woodfin account. Other than what's listed on findbiodiesel.org, are there any other places you've found to be selling bio-blends in your neck of the woods? Thanks,

Sully

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
I seriously doubt that an occasional tank of B20 would harm our cars, but it is technically going beyond what VW has mandated. i64, how do you blend - take a calculator and a 5gal can of Woodfin with you to the Shell? You're a devoted TDI owner if you go through all that every time you fuel. :D

And, said inability to show/prove that it's definitely B5 is the only reason why I have been reluctant to use 'em. In fact their own website says nothing about it at all - it just implies that they use additives (http://www.watchcard.net/additives.htm ). Next time I see Jack Woodfin at G-Force or VIR, I'll ask him about this.

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
Sully-

Not to speak for i64 but as another local who is interested in good fuel (as demonstrated by the fact that I started this thread, hahaha) I haven't yet found any other low-percentage bioblend sources in the greater Richmond area other than Woodfin. Reportedly there is a station on Route 5 near 295 (east of town) with B20. But that could be a 45+ min drive from your in-laws even if it was actually B5.

Luckily, Manakin-Sabot is rather near the Country Store Shell we all like to visit, with the best & most reliable local non-bio fuel we have found so far. So that may be as good as it gets for your particular situation...

sullystull

TDI
2011 JSW 6spd manual
Thanks for the info. I'll def. look into the country store. My wife is in manakin now with the tdi. I should tell her to hit that up before heading back home.

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info. I'll def. look into the country store. My wife is in manakin now with the tdi. I should tell her to hit that up before heading back home.
Good call. It's big and easy to find and many people love their fuel (not just us - a bunch of Ford Powerstroke truck guys I've talked to swear by it too.)

The diesel station is out back, the nozzle closest to the building is the car-sized one. Physical address is...

45 Broad Street Road Manakin Sabot, VA 23103

Edit: not sure how late she'll be in town but they turn off the pumps at either 9pm or 10pm iirc

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
i64, how do you blend - take a calculator and a 5gal can of Woodfin with you to the Shell? You're a devoted TDI owner if you go through all that every time you fuel. :D
I estimate the amount of fuel required to fill up, use ratios, make two stops. I keep biodiesel below 5% at all times.

It would be great if Woodfin clearly labelled its bio pumps. If I was certain it was B5, I'd buy more.

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
Put the first tank of B5 through mine with no issues, from the Sunoco in Mt Gilead OH (mentioned here.) Power and mpg seemed a bit down, and the engine was definitely noisier... compared to the 47 cetane BP the car had in it before and after that tank of B5 anyway. Would buy again, but wouldn't go out of my way to do so...

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Observed last night that the Woodfin Watchcard location on Pouncey Tract has closed. Fueled today at the North Hamilton location, which is now part of Quarles Fleet Fueling. Biodiesel just became a bit harder to find in Central VA, but I noted that Quarles is no stranger to biodiesel and markets a "premium diesel" product as well. Stay tuned.

Klokke

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Biodiesel in Charlottesville! B5!!

Hi All,

Newbie here. Just picked up a new (5/11 build) 2011 2D Golf TDI 6MT (BT, Cold Weather, Golf Distinction Kit, Black) and thanks to you all I'm now up-to-date on how to feed it. I've wanted one of these since renting a MK3 diesel in Europe years ago. Thanks for all the advice.

I pulled over a block from the dealer and added some Power Service but was looking for a longer term solution. This is a long thread but I don't think I've seen this station listed yet. It's a Shell in Charlottesville on Rt. 29 South at Greenbrier Dr. I asked the manager what kind of biodiesel it was and she said it was either B2 or B5. She thought they might be switching to B2 for winter.

So first I call Shell US HQ. They had no idea but told me to contact the franchise owner. I tracked them down and they were really helpful. I don't know how many Shell's they have in the area but this is the only one in Charlottesville with biodiesel. The guy I spoke with told me it was B5 and he even checked their delivery receipt on the phone for me. B5 for sure! Only 40 cetane though. He said the station fills the tank around once a week and they had no immediate plans to switch to B2. I politely suggested a B5 sticker for the pump and he agreed. I told him I'd let the forum know and he thanked me. Here's his number if any of you want to speak with them: 800-955-5668

P.S. I confirmed that the BP/Amoco on Fontaine Ave. in Charlottesville still has the Amoco Premium 47 cetane diesel. I think my plan will be to alternate half tank fills between the B5 Shell and the Amoco Premium to give me roughly B2.5 43.5 cetane all the time. I'll keep a small bottle of Stanadyne in the back if I ever need to fill up somewhere weird.

Last edited:

sullystull

TDI
2011 JSW 6spd manual
Hi All,

Newbie here. Just picked up a new (5/11 build) 2011 2D Golf TDI 6MT (BT, Cold Weather, Golf Distinction Kit, Black) and thanks to you all I'm now up-to-date on how to feed it. I've wanted one of these since renting a MK3 diesel in Europe years ago. Thanks for all the advice.

I pulled over a block from the dealer and added some Power Service but was looking for a longer term solution. This is a long thread but I don't think I've seen this station listed yet. It's a Shell in Charlottesville on Rt. 29 South at Greenbrier Dr. I asked the manager what kind of biodiesel it was and she said it was either B2 or B5. She thought they might be switching to B2 for winter.

So first I call Shell US HQ. They had no idea but told me to contact the franchise owner. I tracked them down and they were really helpful. I don't know how many Shell's they have in the area but this is the only one in Charlottesville with biodiesel. The guy I spoke with told me it was B5 and he even checked their delivery receipt on the phone for me. B5 for sure! Only 40 cetane though. He said the station fills the tank around once a week and they had no immediate plans to switch to B2. I politely suggested a B5 sticker for the pump and he agreed. I told him I'd let the forum know and he thanked me. Here's his number if any of you want to speak with them: 800-955-5668

P.S. I confirmed that the BP/Amoco on Fontaine Ave. in Charlottesville still has the Amoco Premium 47 cetane diesel. I think my plan will be to alternate half tank fills between the B5 Shell and the Amoco Premium to give me roughly B2.5 43.5 cetane all the time. I'll keep a small bottle of Stanadyne in the back if I ever need to fill up somewhere weird.

Thanks for this update. This station is not listed on findbiodiesel.org (not sure how up-to-date that site is). I will keep it on the radar during my travels to richmond from wv. Thanks again!

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
$3.759 at the Country Store Shell in Goochland today. For the second consecutive visit, the station was power washing the diesel pad, had to stretch the car nozzle across to the truck nozzle side. PITA. It couldn't have been that bad.

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
$3.759 at the Country Store Shell in Goochland today. For the second consecutive visit, the station was power washing the diesel pad, had to stretch the car nozzle across to the truck nozzle side. PITA. It couldn't have been that bad.
I was there today also, filling mine up probably for the last time (it's for sale.)

No power washing, luckily.

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you sir, and... we'll see. Advertised at $20k, several really interested people but no commitments yet. Thought a one owner, always garaged, 16k-mile car would go quickly but I guess not... luckily I'm in no hurry.

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thank you sir, and... we'll see. Advertised at $20k, several really interested people but no commitments yet. Thought a one owner, always garaged, 16k-mile car would go quickly but I guess not... luckily I'm in no hurry.

If I needed a second one.... I actually prefer the silver exterior.

The image is gorgeous, recognize the fueling location at a glance. Send this over to the Goochland chamber! :D

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Filled up at the Country Store Shell in Goochland on Thursday. $3.699 for 45 cetane. At the same station, RUG was $3.499 and PUG was $3.759. Looks like the the $0.50 spread between diesel and RUG has shrunk to about 20 centavos....

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
It may sound stupid but the reason I'm posting this is so others can find it later.
I sold the TDI so I don't come on here much anymore and I am no longer seeking quality diesel for anything but the F350 PSD that I borrow occasionally. Would someone like to take over the list in the original post?

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
[EDIT: Now confirmed via phone that all BPs (at least in No. VA) are going to cetane 40 diesel. :mad:]

Last edited:

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
BTW, I've got commercially-manufactured, ASTM-certified B99 at my house in Manassas, VA, if any of you VA people are ever passing through. :cool: