Yet another suspension question

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Ok, so I've searched high and low, both here and VW Vortex, and can't find quite the info I'm looking for.

What I have: 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition (GLI suspension, 18" wheels, 225/40 R18 tires)

I'm currently at 163k miles, planning ahead to do a complete suspension refresh at 200k miles because my back end sags with a full tank of fuel, and really sags with 2 kids and camping gear. Finances dictate that I plan ahead and get best bang for the buck. Would like new suspension to last for the next 200k miles if at all possible. (Next 200k will probably look very similar to my first 200k)

What I'm looking for: Slight lift is preferable, stock ride height at a minimum. More firm handling is preferable without being too jarring.

-I've looked at doing Tiguan springs & Koni FSDs, but while I really like the look of that height on the JSW I haven't liked the look on the Jetta sedans that I've seen with those springs. (Although that blue Golf R on the lifting JSW forum looks super bada** and would LOVE to transfer that to my Jetta so if anyone has a link to that guy's build let me know as I haven't been able to find it.)
-Bilstein HDs claim a 1/2" lift over stock. I can only assume this is compared to "normal" stock suspension. Does anyone know how this alleged amount of lift compares to the GLI suspension? Also, I'm concerned about the ride being a little too stiff.
-Koni FSDs with OEM springs looks like my most inviting option so far. Is there any lift to be had with this setup compared to GLI OEM suspension?
-I will be due for new tires at 200k as well. I'm looking at going larger sidewall. I have found plenty of folks saying that 225/45 R18 fit just fine. I have found enough posts to "know" that 225/55 DO NOT fit and WILL rub. I have found 1 post from 1 person here on tdiclub that 225/50 R18 does fit with no rubbing on his JSW. Can anyone chime in on this size tire? It looks real inviting but don't want to buy something that doesn't fit.

I will probably just use an air lift to level out ride if I ever start towing a small trailer, so towing is not a primary goal/concern for spring selection.

I know this is more of a vortex question but everyone over there seems to be stuck on lowering cars and winning pissing matches vs the helpful environment on this forum.
Thank you in advance for your input.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Bilstein HD's are a high gas pressure design.

Twin-tubes are low-pressure gas design, So, Bilstein B4 Touring, Koni's, etc will like the stock Boge or Sachs dampers.

While you're there, look at refreshing the front bushings also.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Black Friday being what it was, I went with Koni FSDs and the complete Tiguan spring set from idparts. (Shoutout for all the help I have received from them so far).

After install, I thought the back end looked a little low. Today I finally got to pull into my garage (closest to level surface available) and measure.
The front height looks perfect, raised about 1.75" from where I was before.
The rear only got about 1.25" lift - not the ~2" as advertised - so the rear is sitting .25" lower than the front (measured from ground to top of fender) and this is unloaded.
Thinking there was a mix somewhere, I double checked part numbers on the site, on the box, and on the springs - all match.
My goal is to have the rear sitting either level or higher than the front.
Sportwagon towing springs look to be "too much" for the golf or Jetta on paper... but then again, the Tiguan springs were supposed to lift close to 2", but I got closer to 1".

I realize that the 2010 Jetta TDI is kind of the redheaded step child in this world. It's a mk5 body with a mk6 engine and a mostly mk5 interior but some aspects of interior are mk6.

I've spent ~$1100 on the suspension because the car was squatting...and it's still squatting.

Any guidance on rear spring options is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: the only reason for posting here today (Saturday) is that idparts doesn't answer the phone on the weekend (understandably) and I wanted to try to get some input over the weekend.
Please and thank you.

Last edited:

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
As you found out there are only a few ways to go with a stock shaped spring. Some thing you need to look at the rear bushings over time they settle so a 1/8 inch or 1/4 there can drop ride height. the key thing is it should of said (Eibach PRO-KIT spring set for 2005-2010 A5 Jetta Sedan and 2009-2014 Sportwagen TDIs. This kit will lower the car approximately 1.2" in the front and rear. Includes a pair of front and rear springs.) as it says in the site for the Eibach it should say the same on all the spring on the site if changing from a stock spring.
One thing you can do to diel it in is use a spring spacer.

Last edited: