Injector service

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Hey all, my injector 3 is driving me nuts, causing symptoms of slow down shudder and mild rough idles until I tap the throttle a few times. So with that being said, I managed to snag some 706 tipped injectors from the local wrecker, and I'm attempting to clean them.

I'm soaking the nozzles with the needles out in carb dip for 30-45 mins each (doing each separately) and then cleaning them with steam. So far I'm two injectors in and the spray pattern looks phenomenal and popping between 2900-3000psi. Was curious if anyone else has tried carb dip. Lots of people I see are cleaning with just steam or Diesel Purge, and well I don't have the patience to sit there and just steam them out or run diesel purge through the pump.

I plan to install all four into my car this weekend and will post a follow up then.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Nero,

Steam? What/how are you doing this? Under pressure?
I soak mine in a acetone/marvel mystery oil mix. Then I plan
on hitting them with compressed air.

Cheers,
R*2

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Steam by setting nozzle on a work bench and running a steam cleaner through the nozzle inlet to get any junk that's in the tip, out.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just finished installing all four that I cleaned, idle's smoother than ever now. Took it for a quick test drive, no more intermittent stumble from cylinder 3. I'm about to put the old injector on the tester to see if it's bleeding down.

By the way, I did swap in the 706 nozzled injectors, hoping to see a slightly better power and fuel economy. I've been averaging around 37mpg.