Rear Brake Line

Tartrus

TDI
Mk4 BEW Jetta
I was replacing the right rear brake line on my mk4 jetta but the bolt doesn't seem to go in all the way when connecting to the rest of the brake line. I threaded it by hand most of the way and then used a wrench so I don't think I cross threaded. Look like it's about 2 mm out from completely being screwed in. Doesn't seem to be leaking.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
Is it an OEM brake line going into OEM? The fitting may be a different length

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Tartrus

TDI
Mk4 BEW Jetta
Got the brake line from the dealer (had to get a new banjo bolt and seems like that's the only way) so it should be the same.

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
As long as it's good and tight and doesn't leak you should be fine. Bleed it and press the brakes, (I assume you have done this) if there is no fluid squirting or dripping out you shouldn't be losing brake pressure.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
It's not uncommon for some generic stuff like ebrake cables, and brake lines to not be an exact match, even from oem, that's not to say that the dealer didnt get a genuine oem part too. But if it's not leaking, and it works, well good problem solved but I'm sure you got ripped off big time

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
just compare the fitting to the old one, its probably longer.. not uncommon as aftermarket gets more generic

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
no issue

So long as it fits and gives the length needed to prevent tearing it off it doesn't matter if there's a few threads showing. I personally don't like it when I run out as it might then leak.
If it doesn't leak and the brakes function roll with it.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
It sounds like you are working the line that bolts into the caliper. Did you also replace the copper crush washers? Both of them?

Cheers,

PH

Tartrus

TDI
Mk4 BEW Jetta
It sounds like you are working the line that bolts into the caliper. Did you also replace the copper crush washers? Both of them?

Cheers,

PH
The new line came with the banjo and new washers installed. The only reason I got the line was because I removed the washers from the old banjo and bunged up the threads. VW is the only place I found that sells the banjo and only with a new line.