Acceleration pulsing, 40-55 mph

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
I've had an issue on my 2003 that has gotten worse over the last 2-3 years and about 75K mikes, and I'd like suggestions on how to diagnose it.

From about 40-55 mph and under acceleration, there is a pulsing vibration that seems timed about to the rotation of the wheels. The pulsing is uneven; some pulses seem stronger than others. I feel this primarily in 4th gear, because it's the most appropriate for acceleration in this speed range. However, I've felt it also in 3rd gear. The stronger the acceleration, the stronger the pulsing, and if I engage the clutch and take my foot off the accelerator, the pulsing stops completely. This has been consistent across 4-5 sets of tires (both summer and winter) and numerous balances.

Clues -- maybe relevant and maybe not:

• I lost my right axle at freeway speed about 6 months ago. The inner CV joint was apart and the 8mm bolts from axle to transmission were snapped. A shop replaced the axle for me (had no time at that point to do it myself).
  • About a month ago, I was under the car and noticed that the 8mm bolts were loose. One or two had backed all the way out and were only being held in because the head was against the rubber CV joint boot. I took it back to the shop that installed the new axle and had them retorque the bolts. I checked them again this past weekend after a few thousand miles, and they were all still tight. This will be a regular check for me at <= 5K mile intervals until I'm satisfied that they are not loosening after being torqued properly.
  • I had my transmission mount replaced about a year ago, and I replaced my engine and dogbone mounts about a month ago. This didn't help; if anything, it made the pulsing more noticeable.
  • Both the transmission and engine mounts have oval holes for the bolts that go down and engage the aluminum adapter block. These allow for about 1-2 cm adjustment for the engine left or right. When I replaced the engine mount, I noticed that on both the engine and transmission mounts, the engine is adjusted all the way to the right.

My current hypothesis is that one of my inner axle CV joints is going lopsided at certain speed/load combinations, causing the axle to flop around. How can I test this? My only idea is to strap a camera down there and watch the axle when it's pulsing. I'm thinking a GoPro, but I would have to buy one.

Perhaps the engine is too far to the right and causing the inner CV joints to run off-center, causing a floppy axle. I plan to center the engine in the next couple of weeks when I have time to do it; if this is the issue, re-centering should improve or eliminate the pulsing.

I would appreciate any ideas about causes, diagnosis, and cures. Thanks!

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Just from reading here, some aftermarket axles will do this. Generally you want to keep the factory solid axle and refresh with quality joints.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
Just from reading here, some aftermarket axles will do this. Generally you want to keep the factory solid axle and refresh with quality joints.
I actually did that about 2 years ago in an early attempt to solve the issue. It did not help, and it was much more expensive and time-consuming than just replacing the axle. With my most recent axle replacement, I needed the car back in operation ASAP and didn't have time to do that. Potentially at some future point I might snag a junkyard axle.

Thanks for the input.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
Since no suggestions on a better way to diagnose, I ordered a refurbished GoPro Hero 5 Black from eBay. When it arrives, I'll secure it where it can watch the axle at 240 FPS and then take a test drive.

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta sedan 2002 Jetta wagon
Put your front end on jackstands and start wiggling things around. I aslo think ive read a few things about people replacing motor/trans mounts and either the engine or trans not sitting straight afterwards. Could possibly be a wheel bearing as well i just went to the junk yard last week and replaced my passenger side spindel. I had similar symptoms as you described

Diesel_Man

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Wagon 1.9l BEW, 5 spd Tiptronic
I've had an issue on my 2003 that has gotten worse over the last 2-3 years and about 75K mikes, and I'd like suggestions on how to diagnose it.

From about 40-55 mph and under acceleration, there is a pulsing vibration that seems timed about to the rotation of the wheels. The pulsing is uneven; some pulses seem stronger than others. I feel this primarily in 4th gear, because it's the most appropriate for acceleration in this speed range. However, I've felt it also in 3rd gear. The stronger the acceleration, the stronger the pulsing, and if I engage the clutch and take my foot off the accelerator, the pulsing stops completely. This has been consistent across 4-5 sets of tires (both summer and winter) and numerous balances.

Clues -- maybe relevant and maybe not:

• I lost my right axle at freeway speed about 6 months ago. The inner CV joint was apart and the 8mm bolts from axle to transmission were snapped. A shop replaced the axle for me (had no time at that point to do it myself).
  • About a month ago, I was under the car and noticed that the 8mm bolts were loose. One or two had backed all the way out and were only being held in because the head was against the rubber CV joint boot. I took it back to the shop that installed the new axle and had them retorque the bolts. I checked them again this past weekend after a few thousand miles, and they were all still tight. This will be a regular check for me at <= 5K mile intervals until I'm satisfied that they are not loosening after being torqued properly.
  • I had my transmission mount replaced about a year ago, and I replaced my engine and dogbone mounts about a month ago. This didn't help; if anything, it made the pulsing more noticeable.
  • Both the transmission and engine mounts have oval holes for the bolts that go down and engage the aluminum adapter block. These allow for about 1-2 cm adjustment for the engine left or right. When I replaced the engine mount, I noticed that on both the engine and transmission mounts, the engine is adjusted all the way to the right.

My current hypothesis is that one of my inner axle CV joints is going lopsided at certain speed/load combinations, causing the axle to flop around. How can I test this? My only idea is to strap a camera down there and watch the axle when it's pulsing. I'm thinking a GoPro, but I would have to buy one.

Perhaps the engine is too far to the right and causing the inner CV joints to run off-center, causing a floppy axle. I plan to center the engine in the next couple of weeks when I have time to do it; if this is the issue, re-centering should improve or eliminate the pulsing.

I would appreciate any ideas about causes, diagnosis, and cures. Thanks!

If you get a new axle, go with Raxles. They are a little more expensive, but HIGH quality and have a lifetime guarantee.

Diesel Man!

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, guys.

Louie -- I've did the "wiggle test" about 6-8 months ago. I found that the right ball joint was a little loose, and I replaced it. I'm pretty sure I rechecked after, and everything was tight, but I need to change my oil this coming weekend, so I'll recheck then.

Diesel_Man -- When my right inner CV joint grenaded on me, I had to get my car back on the road ASAP, so I just get a rebuilt axle from O'Reilly. I know Raxles have a great reputation, but I didn't have time to wait for one to come in. Also, the pulsing was there both before and after the axle replacement, so I don't think the new axle is behaving any differently that the old one. The old one was an OE axle I had rebuilt myself with quality German CV joints about 2 years ago. I rebuilt it because of the pulsing -- so the pulsing issue has been with me a very long time.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
My refurbished GoPro Hero 5 black arrived today. Now I need a memory card and to figure out a way to lash it down under the car pointing at the axle. This model will take 240 fps at 720p, which should be helpful in seeing vibrations clearly. The latest GoPro will do it at higher resolution (4K, I think?), but it costs over $300, while I paid $100 for the one I got (from eBay).

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?
Would not be that. All that happens, is you gradually lose power as filter clogs, but it still runs steadily.

You may have a "dirty" throttle positions sensor. Try this: with engine and key OFF, mash the accelerator pedal rapidly to the floor and releasing 15-20 times. I successfully cleaned a TPS on a few different vehicles doing this.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I've had the same problem with my axle CV bolts on my wagon. It does do a hum/vibration at about 1800 rpm. (which goes away at higher rpms) I did have the bolts torqued correctly, but they still came loose. I cleaned them all up and reinstalled them with Loctite (blue) and I have been fine since.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?
Every 20K miles, so last replaced 6K miles ago.

I've had the same problem with my axle CV bolts on my wagon. It does do a hum/vibration at about 1800 rpm. (which goes away at higher rpms) I did have the bolts torqued correctly, but they still came loose. I cleaned them all up and reinstalled them with Loctite (blue) and I have been fine since.
Thanks. I replaced my right axle over the weekend. I thought about Loctite but decided just to torque them to spec and check them for the next few oil changes. If they loosen, I'll try the Loctite then. In replacing the axle, I did find that the shop that installed the old one didn't install the curved torque spreaders/locking plates (1K0407357C). That might have contributed to the bolts coming loose.

Last edited:

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
FIXED! I just finished replacing the cheap right axle installed by the shop a few months ago with a GKN Löbro 303162 axle from idparts. On my test ride, the vibration was completely gone.

So much for Chinese Replacement Auto Parts (CRAP).

To diagnose, I videoed the axle with my GoPro while producing the vibration and then slowed it down to 1/4 speed. I could see the axle moving around at the wheel end. I would upload the video if I could figure out how, but so far, I haven't.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
FIXED! I just finished replacing the cheap right axle installed by the shop a few months ago with a Lobro GKN 303162 axle from idparts. On my test ride, the vibration was completely gone.

So much for Chinese Replacement Auto Parts (CRAP).

To diagnose, I videoed the axle with my GoPro while producing the vibration and then slowed it down to 1/4 speed. I could see the axle moving around at the wheel end. I would upload the video if I could figure out how, but so far, I haven't.
Glad you got it fixed and posted the resolution.
It may help others down the road.
I've read it numerous times not to use parts store axels.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
BONUS! I had a pretty bad vibration that peaked at 3500 RPM in any gear. It was next on my list to tackle. But tonight while driving the car I realized that the 3500 RPM vibration is totally and completely GONE. The engine is now smooth as it can be all the way up to 4000 RPM.

The only part related to my work that spins at engine speed is the input shaft to the transmission. And, I did have a leak. Perhaps the gear oil was low and caused the vibration; replacing the oil with VW G060 726 A2 and filling it full fixed it.

Another benefit of the oil change: operation of the shifter is now significantly smoother and easier.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I've read it many times that someone replaced the trans fluid with the correct one and it helped the shifting.