2019 Jetta 1.4T real world fuel economy

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I had a brand new 1.4t Jetta as a rental for a few days and I was blown away with the fuel economy. I was driving it under the most ideal conditions (80-100km/h) on country back roads, so this was obviously a massive advantage. I didn't get a chance to drive a full tank, but for the 439km I did the car only took 24.23 liters, so hand calculated that comes out to 5.5l/100km (43mpg). This was inline with the MFD display as well. Realistically I know that a tdi like the 1.6 they sell in Europe would get a much lower fuel consumption, but it's still rather impressive.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I had a brand new 1.4t Jetta as a rental for a few days and I was blown away with the fuel economy.QUOTE]

My 1.4 turbo/5M - over 23,000+ miles per Fuelly - calc's 40.1 MPG.

Also via Fuelly: a gent from Victoriaville, Quebec has logged over 41,000 miles calculating 44 MPG (US). With an automatic transmission yet!!

After turning back my JSW TDI 6M for 25 grand, my 2017 Jetta S (bottom feeder) was available for circa $14.3.

I've no regrets, issues or negatives to date.

all the best,

ez

Doc

Veteran Member
How well do you like the 1.4 engine? Besides fuel economy. I ask because I have the SW with the 1.8 , 2015, and am considering trading it in for the 2019 SW but the to get the 1.8 one has to have 4 motion with it. I very much like this engine. To get new SW w/o 4 motion, you have to get one with the 1.4. have you had a car with 4 motion? I believe the 4 motion will reduce mileage by 5 mpg. Looking forward to your comments.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
How well do you like the 1.4 engine? Besides fuel economy. I ask because I have the SW with the 1.8 , 2015, and am considering trading it in for the 2019 SW but the to get the 1.8 one has to have 4 motion with it. I very much like this engine. To get new SW w/o 4 motion, you have to get one with the 1.4. have you had a car with 4 motion? I believe the 4 motion will reduce mileage by 5 mpg. Looking forward to your comments.
Well Doc, it would appear that you just may be concerned that the 1.4 is a weak sister when compared with the 1.8.

While I will admit to some bias (Never had a 4-Motion; had a JSW TDI 6M which went for buyback). I tried to get next to a GSW 1.8 - but the MPG -at least for this sailor - was a dealer breaker. No more need for a wagon (no bike; no dog).

Enter the little 1.4 turbo/5M.

After depositing circa 25 grand from VW, I laid out 14.3 for my 1.4.

Today I calc'd round trip Sacramento - Half Moon Bay. 47 MPG. That is almost TDI country.

I'm a fuel economy guy. Not really sure where you're coming from.............

However the initial cost, reliability (24k: no issues whatsoever ) and 5M/clutch plus handling (bigger/wider tires than my JSW) sold me.

Hope this provides a baseline for you.

ez sends

Doc

Veteran Member
Ezshift5, many thanks for your reply. My concern with the 1.4 is reliability and mileage, and it looks like you are enjoying both. I had diesels from '79 to 2015, my last one the bullet proof '03 wagon w/stick shift. Bought the 2015 Golf SW because it has a timing chain (it blew my mind when I paid $1000 to have the belt/water pump changed on the '03). The1.8 is getting 35-40 mpg, 3-4 miles less in the winter. Having driven diesels so long that it's quickness still is a pleasure. Shortly after I bought the gas SW the roof caved in on VW and it's coverup. I am leaning to buying the 1.4 SW as this is the last year for the wagon. Have no need for 4motion as I do not need to drive in bad weather.

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
The 1.4T won't be much different in terms of power, we're talking a 20hp difference (150hp vs 170hp in the 1.8T). I highly doubt you'd feel that difference in normal driving conditions. I can't speak for reliability but so far so good from general reports, and mileage, well it's clearly way better then the 1.8T and is reaching diesel territory numbers.

I had a 2015 Golf 1.8T and I can't say I felt much of a difference vs the 1.4T rental I had... the only difference was the rental was automatic

Doc

Veteran Member
The torque with the 1.4 is also fairly close to the 1.8. Does the 1.4 have a

timing chain or belt? I intend to buy the automatic, an 8 speed, which probably

is more fuel efficient vs. the 6 speed on my Golf. The automatic on my Golf

actually bumped up the torque to 199 ft. pounds. Perhaps the 8 speed will

also cause a bump up.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Can you get the Golf SportWagen with the 1.4T engine? I tried to look it up in Fuelly for years 2016 and 2017 but I could only see it with the 1.8 engine.

Doc

Veteran Member
All 1.8 GSWs' come with 4 motion. The 1.4 is the only version that does not have 4 motion, and if you want the automatic it's an 8 speed vs the 6 speed in the 1.8.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you truman and Doc for your replies. I think I have the answer I was looking for.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Former co-worker had an 03 ALH (Stock) and bought a 17 or 18 1.4 TSI Jetta. Same person, same commute each day, etc and is within calculation errors of the same MPG's on both cars (~48 MPG).

He's a happy camper, but I about cried when he told me that they gave him $2k for his 250k mile (but otherwise very clean and well maintained) 03 Jetta GLS with leather, heated seats, new fenders/paint, etc.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I like the 1.4 although if saddled with the automatic it saps quite a bit of zip out of it. Certainly tolerable, but noticeable. I have only driven the NCS Jettas with them (both manual and automatic... the manuals are only 5sp).

They really run great in the Jetta hybrids mated to the 7sp DSG. Sort of an unloved forgotten low volume car, and aside from the powertrain pretty unremarkable. But if you actually do a lot of city driving where a hybrid works well, and you want to drive something that can actually get out of its own way, that car would be great to buy used. They tank in value fast, too, so you can pick them up cheap. You lose much of the trunk though (battery is there).

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I would totally buy a 1.4L if they put them in the Passat. I had a 2017 (maybe 2018) loaner Jetta with the 1.4L and the MPG was impressive! I really liked the 1.4L over the 1.8L (had 2017 Passat 1.8L).

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I would totally buy a 1.4L if they put them in the Passat. I had a 2017 (maybe 2018) loaner Jetta with the 1.4L and the MPG was impressive! I really liked the 1.4L over the 1.8L (had 2017 Passat 1.8L).

I would say it would be unlikely to put a smaller gasoline engine, even turbocharged, in a mid size sedan for the American market.

Now in Europe or other parts of the world were fuel efficiency is a priority then it is most likely a different story.

oilhammer

TDI
I would say it would be unlikely to put a smaller gasoline engine, even turbocharged, in a mid size sedan for the American market.

Now in Europe or other parts of the world were fuel efficiency is a priority then it is most likely a different story.

You had better tell Ford and Chevrolet about that, as they both have mistakingly placed 1.5L turbo gas engines in the Fusion and Malibu, respectively. Granted, neither one of those models is going to be around much longer, but having driven both so-equipped, I'd say a 1.4L NMS Passat is not all that far of a stretch.

But Honda's Accord, also with a 1.5L turbo, is not likely to go anywhere. Neither is Hyundai's Sonata with its 1.6L turbo.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
You had better tell Ford and Chevrolet about that, as they both have mistakingly placed 1.5L turbo gas engines in the Fusion and Malibu, respectively. Granted, neither one of those models is going to be around much longer, but having driven both so-equipped, I'd say a 1.4L NMS Passat is not all that far of a stretch.
But Honda's Accord, also with a 1.5L turbo, is not likely to go anywhere. Neither is Hyundai's Sonata with its 1.6L turbo.
I don't really see the problem as long as they have enough power... The 2019 accord with the 1.5T has 192 horsepower and weighs 3199ibs... My moms 2001 accord has a 2.3 with 150hp and weighs 3142ibs... Frankly the 150hp is more then plenty so I personally don't see power being an issue here...

If you're concerned about fuel economy, it won't be worse then the equivalent 2.4L in the previous gen accord, given that the power is the same between the 2 engines and weight relatively the same

I fail to see your concern regarding small turbo engines in a car the size of an accord. Most people aren't concerned with fuel economy anyways and power is more then ample

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI

Ok, I take my statement back. Thanks for pointing this out Brian.

The other factor is the shrinking market for sedans in the US. This might make the discussion of a 1.4T in the Passat more of an 'overcome by events' situation.

oilhammer

TDI
I fail to see your concern regarding small turbo engines in a car the size of an accord. Most people aren't concerned with fuel economy anyways and power is more then ample
You quoted the wrong person, LOL. I have no concern whatsoever. I was merely pointing out to tikal that these configurations DO exist, and people DO purchase them, even here.

Actually, I do have one small concern, and that is of longevity, since a 1.5L turbo engine is going to be higher stressed than a 2.5L non-turbo moving the same car. But as far as power, they move along just fine.*

Oh, and to add one more: the Camry is slated to get a smaller 4cyl turbo engine in 2021. Toyota already has a 2.0L turbo in the Lexus NX, it may be a smaller version of that, although I doubt it as the AR engine family is physically larger (most are 2.4-2.7L) so it would seem the 2.0L variant which is currently the smallest version is likely to remain the smallest. There is no turbo DI version of the ZR engines (1.8L here, mostly), so I doubt it will be based on that. It may be a clean slate engine, who knows.

*we (in the field) are already seeing this, as expected, in the form of blown up engines, especially Honda. They've already extended the warranty on Civics and CRVs (I think the little Acura CUV is in there too). They site oil dilution as the main issue, and I figured this was going to be a problem for them as they were, at the time, the only ones specifying 0w20 oil even on these little high stressed turbo engines. Most everyone else still specs 5w30, even if their other engines spec 0w20 or 5w20. Which is frightening to think that now VAG has a 0w20 spec for some of their newest engines. If history is any indicator, it will not end well.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...a-extends-warranty-on-troubled-turbo-engines/

Of course, Honda will voluntarily stand behind their products, admit fault, and try and remedy the situation. VAG, on the other hand, will likely do nothing, blame the owner, and end up getting saddled with a lawsuit over it. Just watch. They are still fighting with the class action for the earlier EA888 Failtrain engines even now.

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
You quoted the wrong person, LOL. I have no concern whatsoever. I was merely pointing out to tikal that these configurations DO exist, and people DO purchase them, even here.

Actually, I do have one small concern, and that is of longevity, since a 1.5L turbo engine is going to be higher stressed than a 2.5L non-turbo moving the same car. But as far as power, they move along just fine.*

Oh, and to add one more: the Camry is slated to get a smaller 4cyl turbo engine in 2021. Toyota already has a 2.0L turbo in the Lexus NX, it may be a smaller version of that, although I doubt it as the AR engine family is physically larger (most are 2.4-2.7L) so it would seem the 2.0L variant which is currently the smallest version is likely to remain the smallest. There is no turbo DI version of the ZR engines (1.8L here, mostly), so I doubt it will be based on that. It may be a clean slate engine, who knows.

*we (in the field) are already seeing this, as expected, in the form of blown up engines, especially Honda. They've already extended the warranty on Civics and CRVs (I think the little Acura CUV is in there too). They site oil dilution as the main issue, and I figured this was going to be a problem for them as they were, at the time, the only ones specifying 0w20 oil even on these little high stressed turbo engines. Most everyone else still specs 5w30, even if their other engines spec 0w20 or 5w20. Which is frightening to think that now VAG has a 0w20 spec for some of their newest engines. If history is any indicator, it will not end well.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...a-extends-warranty-on-troubled-turbo-engines/

Of course, Honda will voluntarily stand behind their products, admit fault, and try and remedy the situation. VAG, on the other hand, will likely do nothing, blame the owner, and end up getting saddled with a lawsuit over it. Just watch. They are still fighting with the class action for the earlier EA888 Failtrain engines even now.
I misinterpreted your statement regarding Honda 1.5T engines not going anywhere

Also FWIW, I used to work at Honda and the problem with the 1.5T goes much deeper then what you stated. As far as I was told by Honda engineers it doesn't have anything to do with the oil weight and the problem goes much deeper, but I won't discuss details on an open forum.

Time will tell who's small turbo engine will be the most reliable, but all things considered, they are quite impressive when it comes to fuel economy. Yes I know a diesel of the same size could get much,much better fuel economy and I would love to have a 1.6tdi blue motion but we will likely never see that in North America :(

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
Time will tell who's small turbo engine will be the most reliable, but all things considered, they are quite impressive when it comes to fuel economy. Yes I know a diesel of the same size could get much,much better fuel economy and I would love to have a 1.6tdi blue motion but we will likely never see that in North America :(
Over our Labor Day long weekend, My 1.4 completed a 1605 mile trip to/from the Seattle, WA area. Used about 33 1/2 gallons.

My 2 liter JSW TDI 6M did this same trip - - - and calc'd 54 1/2 MPG.

all the best,

ez

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Over our Labor Day long weekend, My 1.4 completed a 1605 mile trip to/from the Seattle, WA area. Used about 33 1/2 gallons.

all the best,

ez

Similar loads and driving speeds, etc.?

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
Similar loads and driving speeds, etc.?

Good question(s) Señor........

Actually I was alone in the diesel wagon -

My new wife came along in the 1.4 TSI.

IIRC speeds were similar (the diesel trip was 3-4 years ago).

best,

ez

OldMan52

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2009
Take a look at Fuelly.com

all the best,
ez
Jetta 1.4l engines really give impressive mpg for a gasoline engine. Checkout 2019 1.4l Jettas on Fuelly.com and you will see average mpg is nearly 36mpg, whereas Honda Civic same year is 34mpg. Even the Mitsubishi Mirage: gives 38mpg but only 10 cars listed, so not enough to make
a statement. And it's a small car. I drove my 2016 1.4l Jetta from Florida to Canada, fully loaded with luggage, and got 45mpg running 70mph. And 2019 are more efficient. My car NOT A HYBRID NOR DIESEL at Fuelly. And these are real figures. And quite a few Jettas are doing even better at Fuelly.