Best way to clean out biodiesel?

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
02 & 03 Jetta TDI,99 Beetle TDI, 04 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
I just picked up a 99 Beetle that has a starting problem (Won't start unless some propellant sprayed into intake, but runs fine).

Anyway, it was running on biodiesel and is disgusting. Red crap everywhere.
So far we have drained the tank, pulled the filter and sprayed down the engine.

The tank has red crap on the walls of the tank. What is the best way to get that all out? I need to clean the lines to the engine too. Thinking about getting a pump sprayer and spraying it down with some gas or something and then cleaning that all out very well.

Any ideas?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
...red? are you sure they were not just running dyed diesel?

Are you blaming the no start on the biodiesel?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
100% Bio won't hurt anything and isn't the cause. Homemade (poorly so) bio or WVO is another matter. It's not uncommon for that to gum up the pump (or worse, corrode things internally) to the point that it's basically a waste of time to try to clean it out.

You might try running some 100% (commercially made) biodiesel through it although if it was running on WVO there's a decent shot you're looking at either major pump work or a different pump. If you do run 100% commercial bio be prepared to change the filter frequently for a while!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
...................You might try running some 100% (commercially made) biodiesel through it although if it was running on WVO there's a decent shot you're looking at either major pump work or a different pump. If you do run 100% commercial bio be prepared to change the filter frequently for a while!
Yes, quality B80 or B100 is rated as one of the top cleaners.
And as he suggests, check your car over for those parts that get damaged from WVO use.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I concur, B100 is an amazing solvent as well as a fantastic lubricant for the IP and injectors. At approx 100k mile (when I bought my Jetta) I started running Bio-D percentages all the way to B-99. I ran through a few fuel filters early on as the old D-2 was some dirty stuff. I recent pulled my tank sender (256k miles) and the inside of the tank looked brand new, there was no junk built up anywhere. I still run a little Bio-D when I have a jug of it in the garage. My engine just seems to run better when I run a 2%-5% Bio-D blend in the tank. With the Stage 4 Tune I am currently running, fuel economy isn't as high as it used to be, so the slight hit I take by using a small percentage of Bio-D is no big deal.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I just picked up a 99 Beetle that has a starting problem (Won't start unless some propellant sprayed into intake, but runs fine).
Anyway, it was running on biodiesel and is disgusting. Red crap everywhere.
So far we have drained the tank, pulled the filter and sprayed down the engine.
The tank has red crap on the walls of the tank. What is the best way to get that all out? I need to clean the lines to the engine too. Thinking about getting a pump sprayer and spraying it down with some gas or something and then cleaning that all out very well.
Any ideas?
Starting problem could be from the injection pump timing is too retarded. The red is probably from offroad diesel being used. See if you can get with someone with a VCDS to check out the IP timing.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
My guess...
The red is glycerine...from improperly made bio....a home brew maker didn't wash/let it settle right....
And it's red cause somebody was cheap, and ran off road diesel too....
Good luck
Know on heavy trucks we consider starting fluid to be risky...
It usually starts ok...but occasionally you have something bad happen and it time for a motor.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Just 1% bio improves lubricity by 1000% over conventional diesel.
I would ensure that the lines are purged of air as all the work you have done will let it in.

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, I have not answered these. Yes, he was making his own biodiesel. I am not saying the no start is from the biodiesel. I just want to clean it out before I try to work on the no start condition. They previous owner said it runs fine but won't start after shutting it off.

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
Starting problem could be from the injection pump timing is too retarded. The red is probably from offroad diesel being used. See if you can get with someone with a VCDS to check out the IP timing.
I have VCDS and will check it out once I get the fuel system cleaned out.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
What Jokila said. You can check static timing (which is important for starting performance) by rotating the crank (do it with the crank bolt and NEVER counter-clockwise!) to be right on TDC and then look at the pump's pin hole. If it is partly misaligned that's likely your problem; it should be dead-balls on and you should be able to pin it (if you have the pin.) If it's off a TINY bit it'll start ok but if it's off by much the car will be extremely hard to start initially -- if it will start at all.

If it's off then before I went any further I'd give a VERY close look at the entire timing belt system. If there's evidence of trouble there you definitely want to fix it now before you get an ugly surprise.

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
What Jokila said. You can check static timing (which is important for starting performance) by rotating the crank (do it with the crank bolt and NEVER counter-clockwise!) to be right on TDC and then look at the pump's pin hole. If it is partly misaligned that's likely your problem; it should be dead-balls on and you should be able to pin it (if you have the pin.) If it's off a TINY bit it'll start ok but if it's off by much the car will be extremely hard to start initially -- if it will start at all.

If it's off then before I went any further I'd give a VERY close look at the entire timing belt system. If there's evidence of trouble there you definitely want to fix it now before you get an ugly surprise.
Yeah, he said he had the timing belt done by a local person. I have the tools and will check that out before we try to start it.
Thanks.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Unlike the AHU, if one has made an adjustment to the timing of the ALH after setting it using the tools one can no longer expect the pump pin to fit "exactly".

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
True that, but it ought to be damn close. If you're far enough out to miss the start window it will be quite obvious with #1 at TDC if you look with an inspection mirror.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Bio is hell on the injection pump.
I recommend looking at priming the pump and ensuring it's operation.
May need seal replacement or something.
A good thing would be to get some commercially produced bio, prime with that, and allow it to clean it out for you.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Never use starting fluid if you have glow plugs or some kind of an intake warmer or risk blowing things up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
Never use starting fluid if you have glow plugs or some kind of an intake warmer or risk blowing things up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I don't think the glow plugs were working. The GP harness is bad and hanging.