VW Golf TDi High Idle

Cgreiner

TDI
2015 VW Gulf TDI
As a new owner, and one that has always driven manual cars, I was wondering seeing if my observation about the Golf is par for the course. At a standstill, in drive - at a traffic light for example, - the car will idle around 900 RPM. Immediately upon removing my foot from the break it will elevate to about 1000k. However, at 1000k my car will freely drive itself across a flat parking lot continually​ with no accelerator input.

This is not a momentary effect. I drove about 100 yards over small speed humps yesterday without pressing the pedal.

Is this normal?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I think so. First diesel I've owned but I once rented a Renault Trafic that would do the same in any of its 6 gears as long as you feathered the clutch on the way down. Somewhere around 24mph in 6th with feet off all pedals.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Normal DSG type behavior. And some of the newer TDIs are more aggressive with this, but be thankful they've VASTLY improved the behavior overall of the DSG. It no longer deserves the Dorky Spastic Gearbox moniker so many of us gave it way back in 2004.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
There is logic in the ecu that changes the idle pattern based on the position of the brakes, clutch the gear you are in, and road speed among other considerations. It's designed to make it easier for example to leave from a dead stop with less throttle input. In other words it is easier to drive.

Or in other words what you are seeing is normal.