2004 Jetta MT, clutch safety switch bad?

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
Ok, so my car is an 04 TDI Jetta with a 5 speed MT. I recently replaced the starter and it has a new battery. Drove the car all day today, started no problem. Final destination, depressed the clutch and turned the key and nothing!

Ended up push starting the car and it fired right off.

So, I am thinking it is the switch that when you press the clutch. Cause the car will not start without depressing the clutch and this is my 1st thought of why its not cranking over. I don't get a click or any other typical starter problem, so this is why I think its a clutch switch.

Anyone have any advice? Is there a way to bypass this switch?

Comments and ideas welcomed!

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Are you sure that the starter solenoid connector got fully seated upon installation?
Another thing is that the solenoid wire can get fatigued and break.
Battery terminal and engine ground connection tight?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Was the starter from Autozone or something?

I think you need to diagnose your problem first. Clutch switches rarely fail, and you can see their operation I am pretty sure with a scan tool.

The CCM has a starter lock out function too, for the anti-theft system.

If there is a "crank" signal when you turn the key, then chances are it is the starter. Easy to check. Voltage on the little wire in the crank position.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I had a friend with the same issue on a different car.
Push the switch all the way in and see if it starts.
Could be the adjustment is off causing it not to be depressed all the way.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Definitely check around the starter before jumping to conclusions, you can test if you're getting 12v on that trigger wire while the clutch is depressed, should be first check if wires all look tight.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
I found the problem. When I installed the starter (No! Not a cheap AutoZone one! It was a $400 Bosch starter from Napa, thank-you very much!)

I had noticed during the installation that the little steel wire clip that holds the spade plug into the starter was missing. Anyhow, that was the issue, the spade had worked itself loose and the wire was hanging there willy-nilly. Going to try and find this little retaining clip or maybe smear some silicone on the plug and hopefully that will hold it together!

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited: