car-net

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Can anyone explain to me what car-net actually does on a 15? VW keeps sending me reminders for a free trial that talk about the great things it can do on a 16, but nothing is clear on the actual car I have! My initial assumption is that I wouldn't get much for the 17 bucks a month they want.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Not much. I think it locks/unlocks the doors, does remote start, and gives you information like fuel level. It isn't worth $7/month, let alone $17/month.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
just a little bit too big brother for me....Probably makes it easy to repo your car.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
Would disabling it in the CAN Gateway turn it off without having to remove the parts?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
should have included 4G wifi hotspot for that price. Even then i'd still wouldn't do it.

Never touched it on the alltrack and won't touch it on the passat.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
My bigger question would be: How can I totally disable it?
There are several threads on how to disable the telematics system, with options ranging from unplugging the antenna to electronically removing it from the CAN gateway (the latter makes the most sense to me).

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Car Net

My wife and I are both in our 60s and live in the Phoenix Arizona area. The big selling point for me was the ability to find us if we are in an accident or have a medical emergency. There are many many miles of nothing in the desert. During the summers it can get to 115°F. We take precautions but the summer temperatures can kill within hours.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That many miles of nothing does that mean it has a signal? Is it the same as On Star with satellite connection? In the western mountains of Maine the signal is very very spotty.

Thus my grandparents skipped the subscription thou they would have kept it for the same reason you stated in AZ.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
My wife and I are both in our 60s and live in the Phoenix Arizona area. The big selling point for me was the ability to find us if we are in an accident or have a medical emergency. There are many many miles of nothing in the desert. During the summers it can get to 115°F. We take precautions but the summer temperatures can kill within hours.
I believe Car-Net runs on AT&T and T-Mobile (?). It will only work where it has cellular service.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
It's kind of cool to push directions from your smartphone to the car's nav unit. Not $15/month cool, tho

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
It's kind of cool to push directions from your smartphone to the car's nav unit. Not $15/month cool, tho
That works on the RNS-510? Only info I could find was that it works on "supported" navigation units. I might sign up for the free trial if that feature works as it is the only one I was interested in.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
That works on the RNS-510? Only info I could find was that it works on "supported" navigation units. I might sign up for the free trial if that feature works as it is the only one I was interested in.

It works on my 2015 Golf with the 5.8" composition media unit.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
On our '15 GSW, I went with the trial (no credit card needed) to see what it was like. I used it once for emergency road service and found the experience.... unsatisfactory. (Waited over 1 hour for the VW tow, called AAA, and AAA still got there first).

It's free to try, and unlike Sirius they didn't nag me excessively when I declined to start paying for it.

I will add that my auto insurance would have given me a discount due to the stolen car locator feature.

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
I have not noticed any lose of coverage, BUT I really was not looking
for coverage.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe Car-Net runs on AT&T and T-Mobile (?). It will only work where it has cellular service.

Thus it'll only work if your less than 5 miles away from 95 in Maine and useless.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which is still spotty soon as you hit the hills, Verizon piggy backs off US Cellular towers but get sub par service. But it is better than the GSM flavors.

rileyctr

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Insurance reduction if you have Car-Net?

On our '15 GSW, I went with the trial (no credit card needed) to see what it was like. I used it once for emergency road service and found the experience.... unsatisfactory. (Waited over 1 hour for the VW tow, called AAA, and AAA still got there first).
It's free to try, and unlike Sirius they didn't nag me excessively when I declined to start paying for it.
I will add that my auto insurance would have given me a discount due to the stolen car locator feature.
That is interesting. Does the reduction cover the monthly cost?