Trusted Mechanic - Maybe not?

junglejim83

TDI
06' TDI Jetta
Hi all, I had to get my engine replaced and clutch swapped back on the West Coast so I went to a "trusted" mechanic on this forum and I got it put back together with a single mass flywheel b/c i learned they were more durable. I heard they were loud so I didn't think much of the clacking noise when I picked it up. But in retrospect he did seem like he was in a rush to get me out of there.

I am now back on the East coast and both mechanics I use have been telling me my 2006 jetta tdi sounded very loud at idle. I decided to have him address the issue and he was shocked at what he found. The clutch was a dual mass clutch hacked down with an angle grinder to match up to the SMF. He said the clutch and flywheel were not centered. The and the rear seal was not installed properly. See the clutch here
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/jetta_old_clutch.pdf

here is an audio recording of what the clutch sounded like.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7TQeSb5SToLRV9YemxTRThiOVNjWm1Jc1EzY2hrNkdPYnpB/view?usp=sharing

My present mechanic corrected the issues and it sounds and feels like a new car. It is like night and day. I can barely hear a difference between the car with the clutch depressed vs not, where before it sounded like a model T when the clutch was out. Further it feels like a brand new car, it is amazing but also disappointing b/c I thought I had done the right thing in the past but based on what my mechanic said and the feel of driving it now, it seems like the other mechanic was a real hack for the $6500 that he got out of me. (I paid for the colt cam, turbo and clutch kit separately)

The upside is it finally sounds like everything major in my car has been replaced, I have a colt cam, smf (properly installed), engine and turbo so, fingers crossed, it is just regular maintenance for the next 100k miles.

Also, I have been dealing with JA Autowerks and Left Lane Motors in NJ both of whom really take their time, discuss the options and seem very worthy of being on the "trusted" list.

If you agree that it sounds like the first mechanic was a hack let me know and I will reveal his name and shop so others in Southern CA can be put on alert.

Last edited: