Beetle Hatch Won't Unlock

tdijoe

TDI
2002 beetle
I have a 2002 Beetle. There is no keyed lock for the hatch. The door switch and the key farb will not open it. May question is, is there a way to get the thing opened without crawling through the backseat, pulling of the boot, and opening it. With a screwdriver? Could it be fitted with the latch from an older model? At this point, I don't care if I have to drill a hole,if I could use a key. Or could I just pull the battery cable to reset the computer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Not sure on the beetle but on my golf I've found sometimes the lock actuator doesn't quite pull the lever far enough to properly unlock the boot. I've found working the fob while giving a couple of thumps to the lock with a clenched fist gets it open though lol.

Not to hard as to cause a dent though. It only happens once in a blue moon so I've never really got round to doing much about it.

As far as I know though you either have to go through the back seats or maybe drill out the lock barrel in the hope you can access the lever.