2014 Passat TDI SE

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
I have a 2014 TDI SE DSG, I am interested in what others with like vehicles are doing as to buyback or repair? We have just shy of 40,000 miles on the car and have used Opti-Lube since new. We are getting calculated 36-38 with mostly town driving. To get a vehicle with equal fuel mileage is out of our price range.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Welcome, you are welcome to wade through the dieselgate posts... most who are did the buyback are starting to disappear. But many (myself included) are holding out for the modification and cash. Really comes down to why you bought the car. If you dont drive that much many did the buyback and traded in for another economical car or gas passat. Other like me who drive a ton and love the space plan on pocketing the money and driving on like i have done for the last couple of years...

Those that have done the mod on the 2015 model have no noticeable difference in drive or economy... The 13 and 14 should go the same way and just have a software modification, the earlier 12 models will have probably have to undergo more physical modification. Welcome to the group, lots of info around here, just have to search a bit and wade through the crazys.

rwesley21

TDI
2015 Passat
I bought a 2015 with the fix and it's a very noticeable difference from factory tuned car. This has more pro and accelerates much better. I am getting about 47mpg on this tank of fuel. Before in my 2013 it would be like 42-44.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Same here. With only 200 miles on my 2015 Passat SEL Premium, I drove over 800 miles. On the way there I drove on HWY 2 and the majority of the speed limit is 60 & some 65, and that tank I got 44.6 MPG. On the 400+ trip back I drove I-90, and most of the trip is 70 MPH, and I got 43.3 MPG. Both of these numbers are about 5 - 6 MPG better than either of my previous 2013 & 2014 Passat's got. Very impressed with the performance and mileage with the 2015.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
To respond to the OP, we are waiting until late next year (car must be scheduled in Sept. for turn-in in Dec.) and doing the buyback on our 2013 Passat SEL Premium. We bought it new in July '13, and will have about 80K on it by the time we turn it in. So that's 5/12 years of driving, and if we kept it we would be looking at some significant maintenance costs. Plus, even with the extended warranties on turbo, AdBlue heater, and heater core, I can't be sanguine about owning this car in the long term given all the fragile and expensive emissions gear it's got. The final point is that VW is going to pay us about $2K less than we gave for the car new. Given these facts, I can't seriously consider the fix.