why doesnt my e brake handle pull up as far anymore?

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
ok... not sure if this is due to the summer tires I just put on... but my e brake used to go up lots... like 8-10 inches. now its only 4-6 or so.. whats going on here?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
When you pull the handle, all it's doing is pulling two cables which are attached to a little lever at each rear caliper.

You could try having an assistant pull and release the handle to make sure the levers at the calipers are moving as they should. Obviously block the wheels if you're getting under the car with the parking brake released, as it might roll.

It's actually pretty easy to remove the plastic center console so you can see and adjust the parking brake cable tension.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
hmm, seems fairly simple! ill keep an eye on it in the next few days, and when it stops raining ill inspect it further. especially if most can be done from in the cab.

thanks guys

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
See if any of the e brake cables are starting to swell, particularly the last foot to foot and a half before the caliper?

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
it is possible that your adjuster was stuck internally and just started working. The levers not supposed to go up a long way.

Is the pedal a little firmer as well?

Keep an eye out for possible dragging brakes. If so one of your adjusters might be acting up. The seals on the outer ends leak and corrosion starts.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
hmmm. no idea if the adjuster was stuck before. last few days have been 18 hour days, so still no time to look at it. done about 2000 miles in the car since I last posted though!!

it used to go up a lot, like almost touch the arm rest.. now its just half ways.

I will jack car up and spin tires when I get a chance, ill try to peek under there and see if the cables are clearly hurting.