Should I buy extended warranty 2015 Passat

moorsb

TDI
2015 Passat
I do not know if the EA288 engine has much reliability information yet. I found a document that details the workings of the engine and it seems to be very complex. The more parts the more possible failures. This has me wondering if I should look for an extended warranty and if so which company offers the best protection.
PHP:

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Consumer reports and every finance guru recommends against buying extended warranties and the emissions 11 year warranty covers quite a bit. See below.

From the settlement:

Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty
The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or
systems:
 The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Diesel
Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective
Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel
Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors
and actuators
 The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail,
fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all
sensors and actuators
 The EGR system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR
temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors
and actuators
 The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper
 The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, including SCR DEF quality
sensor, and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems other
than those related to the transmission.
Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine
sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder
head, camshaft, and valve train
The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable
taxes. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any
existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved
in favor of the consumer.

15jetta_leftover

TDI
2015 jetta
I bought a 7yr/100k bumper to bumper warranty with my new 2015 bought in 2017 simply to cover all the things the dieselgate warranty wont cover... care free ownership. Still going to be meticulous about maintenance and care but if something breaks ill drop her off and not worry about a bill lol.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Yeah. Part of me regrets not paying $3k for an extra 4 years.

The other part of me would be bothered by not needing all of it. $3k goes a long way at a good indie.

15jetta_leftover

TDI
2015 jetta
My 7yr/100k was under $2000 and its with "fidelity"/jm&a which is one of the best aftermarket warranty companies avaliable. No fine print with them. Been dealing with them for YEARS.

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
I bought 6/85 and gap coverage due to the neg equity from her Jetta... I wrested back and forth and finally went with it because of my Mini Cooper S experience in the 4-6 years of age.. Timing chain(under TSB thank god) Water pump.. 450. switch to the charcoal canister and some other switch for the back hatch almost a G. I figure this will cover it for the life of the loan assuming nothing changes drastically in our lives. it'll be pushing 9 years old at that point also.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Yeah. Part of me regrets not paying $3k for an extra 4 years.
Same here, it keeps me up at night :eek:

If reading the technical literature has you scared of the platform, I think a Toyota would be better off.

When I read the literature, I said its not that complex, just a bunch of different sensors that you can trace down with fault codes and easily replace at $100/pop and some alone time in the garage.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
People are saying the engine should be OK etc.

But the extended warrantee also covers the electronics which can be horribly expensive !

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I seem to be in the minority but up to 80% of what you pay goes into the pockets of the person selling the product and the company providing the warranty. At those odds I would rather bank the money and pay for things as they come.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I seem to be in the minority but up to 80% of what you pay goes into the pockets of the person selling the product and the company providing the warranty. At those odds I would rather bank the money and pay for things as they come.
I have to agree. These so called "extended warranties" are really insurance products that can be bought for 20% of what one would be gouged for at a dealership.

And why would anyone buy one precisely when they buy the new car since the manufacturer's warranty is in coverage for a specified period?:confused:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Yes! Buy the platinum warranty that list what is NOT covered and that list is small.

You get a pro-rated refund too on the warranty if you don't keep it the whole life of the plan.

For about $3000 you get the security of VW dealer repairs paid except for either a $50 or $100 deductible.

With these USA build cars you NEED the warranty. Many of us have had Turbo and HPFP failures and without the warranty the cost is huge.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I have to agree. These so called "extended warranties" are really insurance products that can be bought for 20% of what one would be gouged for at a dealership.

And why would anyone buy one precisely when they buy the new car since the manufacturer's warranty is in coverage for a specified period?:confused:
You buy the warranty 6 months or about 5,000 miles BEFORE the factory warranty ends.

Never buy when a new car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Yes! Buy the platinum warranty that list what is NOT covered and that list is small.

You get a pro-rated refund too on the warranty if you don't keep it the whole life of the plan.

For about $3000 you get the security of VW dealer repairs paid except for either a $50 or $100 deductible.

With these USA build cars you NEED the warranty. Many of us have had Turbo and HPFP failures and without the warranty the cost is huge.

Knock on wood for our 2012 with 80K on the clock waiting for buy back.