RNS 510 Volume

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Could anyone tell me if there is a volume adjustment for when you are using the Nav unit in a route.

I'll have the radio on and have it set for the volume I want to listen to. But the voice giving directions is barely audible.

I've searched the manual but don't see anything like that.

Thx

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I don't have the RNS, but in my RCD the volume for media and for phone calls is separate and I need to be actually using the "phone" part of the radio to adjust that volume (it's a green bar). I'm spitballing here, but maybe you have to adjust the nav volume while it's speaking to you? My phone acts this way too - I have to catch it in the middle of talking to change the navi voice volume vs. the ringer volume.

Hope this is helpful and someone can confirm or refute definitively!

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
On the RNS510, when she is speaking, you can adjust her volume with the regular volume knob. One of the buttons on the face makes her repeat her last statement so just push that and adjust from there.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thx for the suggestions. I'll try them tomorrow when I can set up a route to somewhere.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
There are also a few settings that affect the overall audio nav vs. radio in the menus, but as noted, 'grab it and twist it' is the main volume adjustment, the other is mainly to control ducking (how much the radio comes down when the nav is talking).

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat TDI 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel
if you press the guide button on the head unit
the nav will speak, while the nav is talking
ADJ the volume.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't have the RNS, but in my RCD the volume for media and for phone calls is separate and I need to be actually using the "phone" part of the radio to adjust that volume (it's a green bar).
As far as the phone volume is concerned, it automatically overrides and silences any music playing from the radio.

But I'll try any of the above suggestions today. I've printed them out so I have them with me in the car.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
It doesn't necessarily silence, it reduces radio volume (ducks), and the amount is configurable in the menus . . . from off to almost no reduction . . .

- Tim

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks all

I set up a route today and when the prompt came on I turned up the volume. Then to check the volume I pushed on the station selector button. The message repeated and while it repeated I moved the volume up another notch.

Very pleased now, any prompts are very audible now.:D

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Glad you got it working like you want. Just as a FYI you can also use the volume controls on the steering wheel to do the same thing. When the directions come on just hit the volume up/down on the wheel to adjust the volume.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup, minimum, speed compensation, radio 'ducking' volume, etc. all in the sound/navigation menu.