MK6 6 speed and other parts swap options?

Alex22

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I have a 2006 Jetta and access to a MK6 Jetta TDI with a 6 speed as well. What parts can be interchanged between the two?
From what I've found through Google is that the transmissions can be swapped as long as it's done along with the clutch/flywheel assembly, axles and I heard mention of the starter and hubs. How much would be involved in a 6 speed swap?

-Alex

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Myself? I would pass on a 6 speed. If you have a 5 speed manual you are golden. My understanding is that if you throw out the miserable DMF and go with a proper SMF, it will destroy the wimpy syncros in a 6 speed.

Alex22

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Myself? I would pass on a 6 speed. If you have a 5 speed manual you are golden. My understanding is that if you throw out the miserable DMF and go with a proper SMF, it will destroy the wimpy syncros in a 6 speed.
I would likely keep the DMF as part of the swap and not increase the power of the '06 over '14 levels. How quickly are the syncros going on SMF swapped 6 speed cars? Clearly I'm out of the loop on these things.

-Alex

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
what is the difference between the MK4 5spd and MK5 trans?

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I have a 2006 Jetta and access to a MK6 Jetta TDI with a 6 speed as well. What parts can be interchanged between the two?
From what I've found through Google is that the transmissions can be swapped as long as it's done along with the clutch/flywheel assembly, axles and I heard mention of the starter and hubs. How much would be involved in a 6 speed swap?
-Alex
Starter yes. Hubs, no. You will also need the slave cylinder line all the way up to the master.

The shift cables are technically different and the shift cable bracket on the trans is definitely different so grab that shift box. At the very least you'll have a spare.

I did do one of these swaps once. It was pretty easy and fast.

The bigger DMFs for the 6 speeds don't really fail with the same frequency as the 5 speeds.

And to those saying that the MKV 5 speed is "golden" I just have to turn around and point to the 4 0A4 gearboxes sitting over there with blown up pinion bearings that punched out the bell housing. Happens all the time. They're just built wrong or something.

There are further advantages to the 02Q besides the extra gear.

Sadly, the US cars have all pretty much been bought back by now so we're back to getting swap kits from Europe.

Alex22

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Starter yes. Hubs, no. You will also need the slave cylinder line all the way up to the master.
The shift cables are technically different and the shift cable bracket on the trans is definitely different so grab that shift box. At the very least you'll have a spare.
I did do one of these swaps once. It was pretty easy and fast.
The bigger DMFs for the 6 speeds don't really fail with the same frequency as the 5 speeds.
And to those saying that the MKV 5 speed is "golden" I just have to turn around and point to the 4 0A4 gearboxes sitting over there with blown up pinion bearings that punched out the bell housing. Happens all the time. They're just built wrong or something.
There are further advantages to the 02Q besides the extra gear.
Sadly, the US cars have all pretty much been bought back by now so we're back to getting swap kits from Europe.
This car is headed back to ze Germans, so the 5 speed will be going back into the MK6. If a swap one way works, will it work the other way as well?

-Alex

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I wouldn't recommend doing a 5mt/6mt double swap with a car being bought back by VW. Find a parts car to swap from.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
I wouldn't recommend doing a 5mt/6mt double swap with a car being bought back by VW. Find a parts car to swap from.
technically the buy back only talks about the motor, not the trans so....... when they figure it out in 2yr I wonder if they'd be able to do anything about it.

I'd say go for the swap and see how it turns out.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
technically the buy back only talks about the motor, not the trans so....... when they figure it out in 2yr I wonder if they'd be able to do anything about it.

I'd say go for the swap and see how it turns out.
I think he could probably get away with it- I just find it unethical. And very much against the spirit of the settlement. The judge has already issued a warning against such behavior. If it were 100% known that his buyback car would be crushed without any salvage of parts, that would muddy the waters. But that is not known.

Alex22

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Me again.

I sourced a o2q swap kit from a member on vortex a while back and It's time to actually get to this swapping this tranny out.

The transmission came out of a 2011 Jetta TDI and is a NFP code O2Q. It came with both axles, bolts, starter, dogbone mount and shifter assembly. I'm not sure which clutch assembly & flyhweel I'll need for the swap, one for my 2006 or one for the 2011. IIRC it needs the newer 2011 clutch & flywheel assembly because of the different offset of the O2Q starter.

I've seen one mention of a transmission to engine block that is too short but a replacement can be ordered through a dealership cheap enough but I can't find that thread at the moment.

The car still has the stock turbo, frank06 cam and will be getting a Malone 'stage 1' tune to go along with the 2.5" exhaust but otherwise the car is stock and I plan to keep it that way as a basic commuter for the foreseeable future. The consensus on a few of the FB groups is that these newer 6 speeds with steel syncro gears don't do well with the single mass flywheels so my plan would be to use a DMF assembly over the SMF.

-Alex

Alex22

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Hmm..... excuse my ignorance but I have a Mk5 with the dreaded 3rd gear synchro issues. Does the SMF reduce the problem?
From what I've been seeing through the facebook groups is that the SMF is harder on the steel syncros of the O2Q transmission where as the O2M uses bronze(brass?) syncros that are more forgiving.

If you are having trouble finding gears on your 5 speed check the nut that holds the shifter assembly to the transmission, I found mine had rattled lose somehow. The bushings are also known to wear out and may need to be replaced or swap out the whole thing for a short shift kit if you're into that.

-Alex

Courageous

TDI
Golf 1.9
Hey Alex, thanks for the reply. I only seem to be having the issue with 3rd gear and have no problem finding it, just grinding unless I wait for the RPM to drop and then it engages OK. So it's a clear synchro issue as it appears to me. My Mech also has a golf and he says his does the same, it's common and live with it! The car has 175k on the clock and has had a new clutch and flywheel (according to the seller as I just bought it) but I have no idea if it's S or DMF.