14 Passat TDI AC Problems after heater core replaced

otep858

TDI
2015 Volkswagen Passat TDI (Times 2) SEL Premium
HELP WITH A/C ISSUES. 14 Passat TDI A/C PROBLEMS AFTER HEATER CORE REPLACEMENT

Question for everyone, First the back drop. last fall i took my Passat to a dealer to get the heater core ext warranty done at like 90k miles (due to the typical no heat on passenger side deal). worked great for a few months then i started noticing the pass side blowing much colder then the drivers side again. so took it back to dealer last week, and they warrantied it again. however (and here the problem) I have zero cold air now, plenty of hot air even when its set to max ac. So i took it right back to the dealer (within 10 minutes) and they looked at it and said it couldn't be related to the heater core change, and was a coincidence that the ac compressor went out. and that the compressor would need changed to the tune of $1100. Here is where it gets dicey i take the car home. and put a set of gauges on it. Ambient temp is 85. and when i turn on the ac the high side jumps up to 225, the low side line from the compressor is ice cold. and normal condensation leaks all over the driveway. but in the cabin. hot air, and if you turn on the recirculate it gets even hotter (when set on max cold air)..I should also mention that the car blew ice cold air when i pulled into their shop before the core change and shut it off as well.. Now, any thoughts? im leaning tword a air temp door out of adjustment. Agree, disagree? Im almost wondering if the dealer is trying to recoup the loss from having to do the core again 8 months after it was warrantied the first time.. and help would be appreciated

Last edited:

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
I suspect the morons have struck once again. The core is not fully seated. Because of this the flapper door control arm is binding. It's easy enough to diagnose if you can worm your way into the footwell. Start the car and adjust the temp. The arm will not move, or not move full travel.

As I remember the cover is made of black plastic. Five screws hold it in place. The actuator arm is either plastic or nylon. All that happens is that the core encounters a false bottom. The tech doesn't realize it and puts it all back together. He may have noticed that the black cover didn't seem to fully seat and that the screws didn't bite properly... Or maybe not... Or maybe he had a hot one on the line and didn't care.

Easy fix. Too bad your dealer isn't smarter.

And I almost forgot... I'd lay odds that your dealer didn't flush the cooling system. I did a piece here on a simple and effective flush method. It's almost too simple and easy. The only real tool required past the obvious is a shop vac.

Last edited:

otep858

TDI
Thanks, for advice, Ill try this. Ive talked to them several times and they continue to say that its the compressor, which is getting frustrating as it doesn't jive at all with the current symptoms, and results.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If you have VCDS, you can scan the system for faults. It will show whether the compressor is working or if there is a stuck flap.

otep858

TDI
I have been meaning to get vcds, but havnt got a cable yet. otherwise i would, thanks

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Depending on where in Missouri you are, you might want to consider paying a visit to oilhammer (STL) or CoolAirVW (KC)

otep858

TDI
I just tore into it and there was a screw holding the outer cover for the heater core that was screwed in half way. Sticking out far enough to hang up the actuating arm for the temp motor. Ive got ice cold air again and the tech has ringing ears! Thanks for the conformation on the direction to go Nord

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I just tore into it and there was a screw holding the outer cover for the heater core that was screwed in half way. Sticking out far enough to hang up the actuating arm for the temp motor. Ive got ice cold air again and the tech has ringing ears! Thanks for the conformation on the direction to go Nord
Hopefully you chewed them out for both the improper install of the new heater core and the misdiagnosis of a bad compressor. :rolleyes:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Hopefully you chewed them out for both the improper install of the new heater core and the misdiagnosis of a bad compressor. :rolleyes:
... and I hope OP insists on compensation (monetary, credit or coupon). Hard for a service manager to say no considering the level of incompetence.

Technician 101: When new problem relates to last service, return to scene of the crime.

otep858

TDI
oh you can bet there was words exchanged. Trying to upsell me on something that i didnt need, I was not a happy camper