Buying a new 2015 Passat TDI SEL from dealer in 2017.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Well, I'll just continue to post on for the record. Today I spent driving in city and freeway traffic. The 15 SEL continue to impress me. It is so much more refined and sublime than my 13 SEL. It really is very much an evolutionary upgrade and it shows in all areas. If you are on the fence considering whether to keep an earlier year or do the buy back and buy something else, you would be missing a great car by not auditioning the 2015. And the warranty tops anything out there and is fully transferable.
It really is a great car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I just put a 24MM H&R bar on the SEL Passat on the soft setting, it flattened the car out quite well and make the comparison between the 2012 much more worthy of the few lease payments we will make on it before paying it off.

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
Bought my SEL yesterday. $5K off from VW. Then I told the salesmen, "OK, that's Volkswagen's money....now sharpen up YOUR pencil". :) 72 months at 0%.

60 mile drive home. (Same dealer, same drive as when I bought the Evil Beetle.) 55 mpg. I'll take it.

-mickey

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Since there are scant few of us posting here on the 2015 embargoed SEL TDIs, thought I'd continue posting things I find different from my 13.
When I first turn the car on, the drive (D) indicator in the MFI is slow to turn on.
The speedometer is spot on accurate as opposed to the 13 which had a 3% (or so) error built in--which is a common overstatement of speed on other German Manufacturers.
Also, I am leaning to believing the traction control's engagement to prevent wheel spin on slippery inclines seems to be less heavy handed and facilitates the ability to claw up a slippery hill. This is based on a one time test on a steep hill on grass where I have previously tested the 13 and found it unable to climb the hill under similar conditions--but the jury is still out on a final conclusion.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Hopefully, it will blossom into a life of bliss for the next 162000 miles.
R U Married...........Think about it. Otherwise, fall in love with your new found queen car. I still say short lived especially after something goes wrong. You know it will:D

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
R U Married...........Think about it. Otherwise, fall in love with your new found queen car. I still say short lived especially after something goes wrong. You know it will:D
Well, we all have different life experiences. I loved the 2013 SEL, and never had an out of pocket expense, except the 40K service. This is a better car with a fabulous warranty.

My main dislike with the 13 was the turbo lag from a dead stop--that has been remedied in the EA288.

retiredatthelake

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Bought Passat SEL Premium last week. It was a "new" car with all the listed changes. But we see a lot of rust on cover behind wheels. Brakes also seem to growl when applied. This is my first TDI so not sure of how they should sound. I did have to pay the full sticker price. I used the $5k off and 72 months free financing. Like the car but overwhelmed by all the options. Bought car for Mike age.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
' lot of rust on cover behind wheels'
Not sure what that means.
My brakes are fairly soft, but very lineal, so I don't mind them.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Bought Passat SEL Premium last week. It was a "new" car with all the listed changes. But we see a lot of rust on cover behind wheels. Brakes also seem to growl when applied. This is my first TDI so not sure of how they should sound. I did have to pay the full sticker price. I used the $5k off and 72 months free financing. Like the car but overwhelmed by all the options. Bought car for Mike age.
I would say the rust is normal, as it appears to varying degrees on all VW products. Keep in mind: your car has been sitting for 2 years.
As for "growl", if the (expected) rust/corrosion on the rotors doesn't wear off in a few hundred miles, you should ask for them to be replaced. There might just be too much built-up material on the rotors, and ultimately on the pads (semi-metallic?)
If I were you, I'd have the car inspected NOW at the selling dealership, so they know there's an issue that might need correcting.

Digital4n6

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi A8L TDI
bought a 2015 passat sel for just under 22k with 42k on the odo. out the door, after all fees+taxes+title was 23.5k. financed through my credit union for 1.99/36mo.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Met the VW rep for the buyout today. All "i's" dotted, "t's" crossed. The entire process took about 20 minutes and we were handed a check for $27,646. We also used the opportunity to purchase the Customer care Maintenance program to 50K on 2015 SEL. We are both 68 and figure this is the last car for us, the 50K service, the 11 year 162K warranty, plus a car we both really like makes us pretty darned gruntled.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip> We are both 68 and figure this is the last car for us,<snip>
My father-in-law said the same. He retired, bought a nice new car, and announced it would be his last. He was only off by 3.....