Used 2012, overheating problem

ioghli

TDI
2012 Passat DSG 2.0 170
Guys, coming from a petrol engine I need some support here! Bardon the long story!

I bought a used 2012 Passat 2.0 TDI DSG (Europe spec) with 170,000km. Full service history at VW dealership.

I bought it from a well known car dealer, they inspect all cars and offer a full return in case of something was hidden in the inspection.
They sell cars from "salvage" up to 200.000$ worth of new car! good indication of NO mal-practice!
They rate the interior and mechanical parts from 0 to 5
This Passat had a rating of 3 (due to age and milage) and no mechanical problems at selling time.
I also bought an extended (limited) warranty from a third party company.

------------

Day 1,2: I drove it for about 800 km with no problem what so ever.

Day 3: when I towed a caravan (1000 kg), I got coolant light blinking (checked the manual, did not say stop driving as on other blinking patterns, only concat dealership). Continued driving with the caravan for around 1 hour (50 km) then decided not to take until the problem get solved.

Day 4: I took the family for a trip and the light is still blinking but the temperature gauge is normal..

After 100km NO caravan, I decided to add a mix of a coolant and distilled water. I noticed the reservoir was empty. It took only 1 litre of the mix (forgot to check for air bleed) kids were crazy!!

After like 15 minutes on the highway, the temperature went up to red line and coolant smoked and spilled when parked on the side of the road..
Called the road assistance, after 45 min they filled up the system (2-4 litre), bleed all the air and left to idle for good 20 minutes. Temperature was normal and they said its ok to drive. I was hesitant so I let them tow it to a dealership..

After inspection, the mechanic decided it is a water bump failure (cost at 1500 euro) including the timing belt and all bolts involved.

Later the other week: I contacted the car show were I bought it from and after a long discussion with them, the mechanic and a third party warranty company we got to the following:
1- The waranty company will the cover the water bump and its labour cost only (500 euro)
2- The car dealer cannot take the car back, since this is a sudden failure (not present at selling time)
3- But as a farewell, they will share the remaining 1000 euro with me and provide rental car (since it happen so quickly).

---------------------
Today the mechanic told me, when they change the water bump and the timing belt they need to inspect the car again to make sure there is no other problem (engine failure for example).

While it is in the workshop I asked also to change the thermostate and the cost would be another 500 euro :mad:
Is there any other thing should I consider!
---------------------

What else should I expect, this is my first VW and first Diesel car.
I bought it to run as a towing car for a long camping trip in the summer!!

I know Diesel engine could take a lot of abuse, not sure about this one!

Shall I consider selling it already, or I should build up my trust to VW?

Last edited:

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
There have been some reports of early water pump failure, yours is early but not by that much, normal replacement of timing belt and water pump would be at 190,000km. If they did the timing belt and all associated bolts with it while it was out you should be set for a long time. Sounds like simply bad timing.

As for the thermostat costing 500 euro, thats ridiculous, and it is doubtful you would need one just because the water pump went. I dont know who your mechanic is but you need to find someone who you can trust to explain and be reasonably priced.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What engine code does your Passat have? Here in the USA, ours have the CKRA engine, which has a bespoke thermostat that is very expensive.

In general, Volkswagen has a problem with water pump longevity, so it wouldn't surprise me if water pump failure was the cause of your problems. I would drive it around for a while and see how it performs before proceeding with thermostat replacement.

ioghli

TDI
2012 Passat DSG 2.0 170
There have been some reports of early water pump failure, yours is early but not by that much, normal replacement of timing belt and water pump would be at 190,000km. If they did the timing belt and all associated bolts with it while it was out you should be set for a long time. Sounds like simply bad timing.

As for the thermostat costing 500 euro, thats ridiculous, and it is doubtful you would need one just because the water pump went. I dont know who your mechanic is but you need to find someone who you can trust to explain and be reasonably priced.
If I I'm not mistaken, the water bump and TB replacement intervals is 130,000km and thought it was replaced by previous owner (I have to double check that).

Usually it is cheap and done as a protection measure.
But apparently it is not cheap as I read on google for this type of engine.

ioghli

TDI
2012 Passat DSG 2.0 170
What engine code does your Passat have? Here in the USA, ours have the CKRA engine, which has a bespoke thermostat that is very expensive.

In general, Volkswagen has a problem with water pump longevity, so it wouldn't surprise me if water pump failure was the cause of your problems. I would drive it around for a while and see how it performs before proceeding with thermostat replacement.
I didn't get the chance to know my car ?

He told as it is inside a housing, it will be replaced as a whole.
Labor work is high (difficult access)

How to tell the engine code in VW?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
spare tire well

I didn't get the chance to know my car ��
He told as it is inside a housing, it will be replaced as a whole.
Labor work is high (difficult access)
How to tell the engine code in VW?
Look in spare tire well, should be a build rap sheet there, will give you engine code.

you problem is easy, water is not moving, thermostat stuck, water pump failure

Last edited:

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
If I I'm not mistaken, the water bump and TB replacement intervals is 130,000km and thought it was replaced by previous owner (I have to double check that).

Usually it is cheap and done as a protection measure.
But apparently it is not cheap as I read on google for this type of engine.

Timing belt is done at 130,000 miles not km. here in the US you will see us use the term 130K. To us that means 130,000 miles.

We as a group are not smart enough to learn the metric system, or that's what our politicians think anyway.

ioghli

TDI
2012 Passat DSG 2.0 170
Update
Work done: water pump and timing belt changed - inspection and test drive by mechanic
Out come: engine sound ok, warranty only for WP and TB.
So I picked up the car just before the end of the day. after driving for 50km everything was fine, but then I got this coolant light blinking again (as before). The temperature gauge is normal.
I decided to abuse the engine, (speeding at 140-160 km/h on 4th gear DSG) until I arrived home (another 50 km)
No over heating, only light blinking

Under the hood the coolant fluid is below the minimum level by good 4-5 fingers (I did not check before driving, I suppose it should be to the correct level).

What is this Passat doing to me now?

(While it was there, the inspection gave many failure codes! ) like lamp, traction control, sound system, vechile stability...etc. so the current coolant blinking light is new as they reset the computer and also made a programming.

What I did in the 50km point is: stoped at gas station to refuel and turned on the heater (it's still 5 c degree here in sweden )

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Sometime a top off is needed after a water pump change... I would fill to correct level, reset computer and motor on for a week or two and see how things are going.

ioghli

TDI
2012 Passat DSG 2.0 170
Yup everything is working..

AC if that is related, hot and cooling too.

ioghli

TDI
2012 Passat DSG 2.0 170
Sometime a top off is needed after a water pump change... I would fill to correct level, reset computer and motor on for a week or two and see how things are going.
Update

I added som g12 coolant while the car is cold to the right level.
Turned the engine on.. waited 30-40 minutes
The coolant level went up and stayed there.

I drove for 30 minutes and checked the coolant (when hot)
It is again bellow the minimum line by 4 fingers.

Inspection I couldn't find any leak anywhere in the system. (There is no radiator cap (as far I can tell). There is no sealant to the reservoir cap, don't know if it will leak vapor?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Update
Work done: water pump and timing belt changed - inspection and test drive by mechanic
Out come: engine sound ok, warranty only for WP and TB.
So I picked up the car just before the end of the day. after driving for 50km everything was fine, but then I got this coolant light blinking again (as before). The temperature gauge is normal.
I decided to abuse the engine, (speeding at 140-160 km/h on 4th gear DSG) until I arrived home (another 50 km)
No over heating, only light blinking

Under the hood the coolant fluid is below the minimum level by good 4-5 fingers (I did not check before driving, I suppose it should be to the correct level).

What is this Passat doing to me now?

(While it was there, the inspection gave many failure codes! ) like lamp, traction control, sound system, vechile stability...etc. so the current coolant blinking light is new as they reset the computer and also made a programming.

What I did in the 50km point is: stoped at gas station to refuel and turned on the heater (it's still 5 c degree here in sweden )
Flashing coolant light means low coolant, as you already discovered.

If you can't find a leak, the engine is likely burning coolant (head gasket) or leaking it through the EGR cooler.

ioghli

TDI
2012 Passat DSG 2.0 170
Update

after they examined the car, there is external leak from the exhaust cooler!

Which is surprisingly expensive 2200 euro
(half the price for new engine).

any ideas!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Replace the exhaust cooler. The part itself isn't that bad but there is quite a bit of labor involved in changing it. You might want to call a few different shops and get some competitive bids.