Info on DEF i learned

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
I was at a seminar today. DEF was brought up. Things to know include never use steel or black plastic funnels. Especially if they ever saw oil. A drop of oil will ruin a huge amount of def fluid. Def has a shelf life and must be kept in the cool dark.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Thanks for posting laminated; I've had my Passat 15' for almost two years now, and only let the dealer top it up on the very first service. Never again !! Spilled quite a bit by the refill area filler neck. All of it crystallized immediately, and of course I never noticed till days later. Also, don't let anyone ever tell you that you must bye VW brand Ad Blue. I've been using the Canadian Tire Motomaster brand it's working absolutely fine. On sale this week for $13.99 (9.46 L) jug....a bargain !!

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
I bit the bullet, bought the EZ pour spout(VW) bottle of Ad Blue and then after using it, I cut off the bottom and use the jug to screw onto the filler neck in the trunk. Easy and no mess...much easier to handle than a 9 Liter jug and regular funnel.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I use the VW bottle, unscrewed the top, re-fill the bottle and use it like it was new.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I got a deal on the M-B vented hose with a 10L jug of DEF. Fits the filler on our Passat's tank perfectly, and drains completely and with no spills. I just keep the empty jug and refill out of 2.5 gal. jugs of DEF I get at Rural King for $7.99. One jug is just right for the amount of DEF this car uses in 10K miles.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
We keep a 250gal tank of it at work for the trucks, I cut the bottom of the vw bottle off, press down and fill with the fuel type handle till fuel. I dry out the bottle so i cut down on the crystals and keep a clean rag in it so nothing goes in. Shelf life is pretty safe... we keep ours in the overhang which isnt heated. They say its good for way over a year in almost any condition, we turn it every few months.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
for us ideally grab the MB one, I use the 2.5 gallon container, and a siphon hose, so I can stop the flow when it gets up to the top,

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
When I was still using it I got it at truck stops that offered DEF from the pump. I seem to remember paying around 2.19 a gallon back then.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
I've been refilling VW bottles, but from now on I am just going to wait for the warning light to come on, then put 4 1/2 gallons (or whatever is a little short of tank capacity) in straight from the pump at the truck stop near home. Then repeat at next warning light. Nothing says you have to put in adblue at time of oil change. Cheapest and easiest way I can think of.

BTW, what is the tank capacity?

dieselbill

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed sedan Titanium Beige and 06 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 speed Wheat Beige
Kruse bottle success

Have used a VW Kruse bottle from the beginning and have no spills and no regrets. Fueling the vehicle includes filling the DEF. NO SPILLS EVER!:D

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip>

BTW, what is the tank capacity?
@ 5 gal.

It's just as easy for me to top off the tank when I do an OC. And 10K is right at a 2.5 gal jug. Easy and it helps me remember to do it. I will miss most things about this car, but after we do the buyback next year, this will not be one of them.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
There was early speculation that low DEF might expose internal elements to corrosion, if they're not always submerged, causing premature failure.

Someone with experience changing out the tank/heater assembly could weigh in on this, as they've been able to see how the tank is designed.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Those hoses are just too mucking fuch. When you can buy DEF at the pump for $ 2.19 and fill a brand new 2 gal gas can solely for DEF and then use the funnel method using a VW dealer bought bottle or refill same bottle.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I'd rather fill a 2.5 gallon jug from the dealership and not have to use the small bottle as a funnel. You're going to have to purchase the small bottle to cut it up so spend a little more and not worry about spilling it on the paint.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
In the VW urea bottle, I just cut the tabs that prevent the top from unscrewing, unscrew the top and refill bottle, screw the top back on and then fill the urea tank. No chance of any mess in the car at all.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Those hoses are just too mucking fuch. <snip>
To each is own. We all pay for convenience every day. In fact, a big chunk of what we pay for our cars is convenience. I got the hose. I like the hose. It's convenient.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
In the VW urea bottle, I just cut the tabs that prevent the top from unscrewing, unscrew the top and refill bottle, screw the top back on and then fill the urea tank. No chance of any mess in the car at all.
I've done that in the past. My wife's took 13 bottles. It's a lot of refilling with a Q5. We both drive Q5 TDI's so the hose is much easier for me.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
Never thought of how much my 2015 may use. I may be in the same boat as you where the 2015 uses so much more that the 2013 that I may abandon the VW bottle method.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Never thought of how much my 2015 may use. I may be in the same boat as you where the 2015 uses so much more that the 2013 that I may abandon the VW bottle method.
I have a 2015 and a year ago in the summer I took a trip of about 4,000 miles. I had filled the DEF tank before I left and when I returned it took about 3/4 gallon DEF.
Last fall I drove 3,000 miles to Mexico and again filled the DEF tank before I left. Upon my arrival when I filled it up again it took about 1/2 gallon.

BTW: Q5 is a 3 liter engine vs 2 liter on the Passat. Its heavier than the Passat and has 4 wheel drive. Don't know if it's full time or on demand.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Our 2013 Passat uses just right at a 2.5 gal jug (half the tank) at the 10K oil change. I'm really interested to see how much DEF these cars will suck up after the "fix."

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
All the bottles I've ever dealt with DEF are plastic. Not sure what "DEF being ruined" means. I personally am not overly concerned if the DEF is "ruined" as long as the hard parts I might have to replace for a silly amount of money are not damaged. I wipe out my funnels before next use and I am not going to have a "special" funned for every fluid I use them for without a darn good reason.

Any additional details/information is appreciated.

Drive safe.