2015 SEL vs SE

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
We brought our 2015 eGolf in for the 1st and only free checkup the other day and I was speaking with the salesmen who sold us our 2013 Passat SE TDI. He mentioned the $5000 cash + 0% for 72 months on 2015 TDIs now available.

We had hoped to keep our 2013 as it is fairly low miles and in excellent shape but still no word on the "fix". We decided to look into a new 2015 and realized we could get a "new" 2015 SE with nav for about $850 and our buyback. A SEL would be about $4000 more than the buyback offer.

Any opinions on if the SEL is worth that much more than a SE? It seems like the dealers here are all asking the sticker minus the $5000.

We may also test drive a TDI SEL sportwagen.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Vermont Dealer or Tilton Autoserv? Quirk in Manchester has quite a few.

We just tossed a deposit down on a Gray SEL, I believe it has the better nav, at least it was on the 2012, and the better seats leather with memory, also fender sound system.

I think the base SE (without nav) has no fogs and no beauty trim.

Granted we are coming from the 2012 SE with nav and roof, so.

All said and done we are going to lease it for the 8500 and pay it off cash as fast as possible. They hardly budged off MSRP, lets just say even for a returning customer after 3 month of us buying the alltrack they wouldn't even cover the dealer doc fees of 300. These are going to be cash cows for the dealers if people snatch them up at MSRP. After buy back of the 2012, we will be out 8-9K, which isn't a scorching deal but going from 80K on the 2012 to 40 miles on the 2015 plus some extra bells and whistles the wife is happy.

I mentioned a down pipe and tune may be in the future of the 2015, and she asked why she already didn't have it on her current passat, ha. She wants the power and MPG.

Last edited:

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Personally, I think the SEL is well worth the extra. The seats are amazing compared to the SE. Plus all the other stuff mentioned above.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
the eGolf came from Medford MA as we couldn't lease or buy one in NH, love it for local driving. The 13 Passat came from Walker in VT.

I've been in contact with Walker, AutoServe Tilton, Quirk Manchester and Miller in Lebanon. A few have suggested leasing instead of buying and then buy it out ASAP. looks like 3 lease payments have to be made before buying it outright. The numbers come out about $700 in out favor leasing it so far

We can get into a SEw/nav for < $1K + our buyback, as SEL for about $3K + buyback. We only have about 35K on the 13 and would keep it if we could know for sure we could get it fixed.

Leaning towards a SEL, none want to budge from the msrp - cash back + doc fees

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Off topic: Skimax: Who will service your eGolf? How far are you from a "certified eGolf" tech?
I'm tempted to bring an eGolf to Ft. Worth, but discovered that VW dealerships don't have techs to work on the cars...or at least, that's what I've been told.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
Our closest VW dealer is in VT, 55 miles, where you can buy eGolfs. They serviced our, the 1st free one. Looks like I'll take there for the hi voltage check and do the rest myself.

The service writer there said the 10K service was basically just oil and filter change! I replied I didn't have time to wait while they swapped out drive train. I guess you get what you pay for. The tech told me the rotors were a bit rusty. No wonder after the road salt over the winter and hardly ever using the brakes.

BTW the eGolf is a great local car.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Obviously maintenance is a no-brainer...not much to "maintain". I'd be more concerned about issues that might crop up, but I suppose 55 miles isn't a huge distance to flat-bed a car.
Don't know how close to DFW I could get eGolf service...

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
Just signed the paperwork for a lease on a 15 TDI SE w/nav. Still waiting for our buyback offer from VW. Looks like we'll be driving a 2 year old new car for about what our buyback will be. We'll pay it off after 3-4 payments.

Tried the seats in the SEL and the few other bells and whistles, didn't seem worth the 3K+ more to us and they only had them in white and black.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We brought our 2015 eGolf in for the 1st and only free checkup the other day and I was speaking with the salesmen who sold us our 2013 Passat SE TDI. He mentioned the $5000 cash + 0% for 72 months on 2015 TDIs now available.

We had hoped to keep our 2013 as it is fairly low miles and in excellent shape but still no word on the "fix". We decided to look into a new 2015 and realized we could get a "new" 2015 SE with nav for about $850 and our buyback. A SEL would be about $4000 more than the buyback offer.

Any opinions on if the SEL is worth that much more than a SE? It seems like the dealers here are all asking the sticker minus the $5000.

We may also test drive a TDI SEL sportwagen.
Jason and I actually upgraded our SE with a lot of SEL components and the difference between the two cars is pretty significant. I would recommend going for the SEL if you don't mind spending a little extra money. In my opinion, the seats alone are worth the upgrade, especially if you take longer road trips.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
Obviously we couldn't do a long test drive in the SEL but we drove 100 miles in our SE to the dealership and I didn't notice a big difference between them. We got our buyback for our 13 SE/sunroof offer. We're getting into a 15 SE/nav and coming out in the black.

Not bad driving a car 3 years 8 months and then upgrading to a 15 SE/nav with $ in our pockets and a "new" car with a full warranty, thanks Martin Winterkorn.:D Oh wait you didn't know anything about this before you resigned just after the SHTF!

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
Obviously we couldn't do a long test drive in the SEL but we drove 100 miles in our SE to the dealership and I didn't notice a big difference between them. We got our buyback for our 13 SE/sunroof offer. We're getting into a 15 SE/nav and coming out in the black.

Not bad driving a car 3 years 8 months and then upgrading to a 15 SE/nav with $ in our pockets and a "new" car with a full warranty, thanks Martin Winterkorn.:D Oh wait you didn't know anything about this before you resigned just after the news broke!

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Thats sounds like a great deal, i really wanted to hold out for an sel esp for the seats. I drive way to much for crummy seats but have been happy with the SE overall, everything i need and even the sunroof.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Thats sounds like a great deal, i really wanted to hold out for an sel esp for the seats. I drive way to much for crummy seats but have been happy with the SE overall, everything i need and even the sunroof.
We have a set of CC seats in our Passat SE that are very nice. They're 8-way adjustable plus 4-way lumbar, heated black leather and three position memory. Anyone interested in them before the car goes back to VW? They're a little lower than the stock Passat seats, so you get about an extra inch of headroom and a slightly sportier driving position.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
We have a set of CC seats in our Passat SE that are very nice. They're 8-way adjustable plus 4-way lumbar, heated black leather and three position memory. Anyone interested in them before the car goes back to VW? They're a little lower than the stock Passat seats, so you get about an extra inch of headroom and a slightly sportier driving position.
YES, i thought the switchover took a crazy amount of time... was it you who posted all about it? Does the heat still work? I always loved my recaros in my old a4 jetta.

When do you return yours?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Personally, I think the SEL is well worth the extra. The seats are amazing compared to the SE. Plus all the other stuff mentioned above.
From what all I have seen, this is what the SEL gets you over the SE:

-Better, more comfortable seats with better materials, a slightly softer padding, and more bolstering.
-Different shock absorbers
-18" wheels
-Much better sound system - 11 channel DSP amp under the driver's seat, 2 ohm woofers in the doors (with the front ones being dual voice coil) with plastic cones instead of paper, higher output 2 ohm tweeters, and the dual voice coil sub in the trunk
-A pass through to the trunk in the rear armrest
-"High" body control module
-Fog lights, lights in the interior door handles, lights in the front footwells
-(for non 2012s) Dual zone climatronic. Also very nice

If I had known all of that in 2012 I think we would have spent the few extra $$$ for the SEL.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
YES, i thought the switchover took a crazy amount of time... was it you who posted all about it? Does the heat still work? I always loved my recaros in my old a4 jetta.

When do you return yours?
The job wasn't too bad when we put them in our car and everything works perfectly. Now that we know how to do it, it should be pretty easy on someone else's car. An SE requires some additional wiring that an SEL already has, but it isn't particularly difficult.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Also, one wire needs to be moved on the CC passenger seat plug - the sense for the seat heater. I forget exactly which pin it is, but it's clear when you have the 2 wiring diagrams side by side (NMS and CC).

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
-(for non 2012s) Dual zone climatronic. Also very nice
I believe the 2012's have dual zone as well. I know my 2012 has separate temp controls for the driver and passenger so we can each set our own temps.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
We were able to get our buyback date of May11th. We also changed our lease deal to a 2015 SEL silver with just a small amount of $ above our buyback offer. Looking forward to our new ride.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just for whatever its worth. For more than 15 years I have been using Garmin GPS standalone units and find them very easy to manipulate.

When I found out that the Nav system in my 2015 Highline (USA SEL) model is Garmin based I was thrilled.

I have since found that the Nav system is very difficult to work with. To add your own "waypoints" is nearly impossible unless you speak German and can log onto a German VW website to create a file from your own waypoints which you then copy to a SD card to load into the Nav system. Even then it is time consuming and frustrating to set up a long route.

Additionally almost any new Garmin comes with LIFETIME map updates which are downloadable about 3 times a year. VW charges a lot for ONE map update.

In my opinion it is one hell of an expense to get a back-up camera and an inferiior 3rd rate GPS system.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Just for whatever its worth. For more than 15 years I have been using Garmin GPS standalone units and find them very easy to manipulate.

When I found out that the Nav system in my 2015 Highline (USA SEL) model is Garmin based I was thrilled.

I have since found that the Nav system is very difficult to work with. To add your own "waypoints" is nearly impossible unless you speak German and can log onto a German VW website to create a file from your own waypoints which you then copy to a SD card to load into the Nav system. Even then it is time consuming and frustrating to set up a long route.

Additionally almost any new Garmin comes with LIFETIME map updates which are downloadable about 3 times a year. VW charges a lot for ONE map update.

In my opinion it is one hell of an expense to get a back-up camera and an inferiior 3rd rate GPS system.
I just tell myself we paid extra for the seats, homelink, and kessy, and the radio was free!!!