Volkswagen says US approves sale of modified diesel vehicles

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
about 67,000 diesels from the 2015 model, about 12,000 of which are currently in new car dealer inventory

~12,000 new TDIs about to go on sale in the US! !!hurrah!! with two years of pent up demand for new VW diesels these things will be picked up pretty fast...

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
about 67,000 diesels from the 2015 model, about 12,000 of which are currently in new car dealer inventory

~12,000 new TDIs about to go on sale in the US! !!hurrah!! with two years of pent up demand for new VW diesels these things will be picked up pretty fast...
Do you think so? I would say people would avoid them at this point. I know I would not buy another one from VW.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you think so? I would say people would avoid them at this point. I know I would not buy another one from VW.
VW diesel owners that are the buyers like me who think this entire mess is nothing more than a political ploy to try to remove the auto class diesel option leave the US & Canada have been waiting for this moment!. ~12,000 units of all makes of 2015 TDIs of new cars, there is real pent up demand for these cars!

With the first part of the fix approved allowing new car sales again, along with the years of drivers looking for these cars as an option to buy(many are chomping at the bit to buy these new cars again) I believe from what I know of those who still want these cars as a new car option these things will fly off the lots....

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Rotarykid,

IMHO, there are a few "True Believers" out there in many groups who are hard core evangelists, not matter what. Then there are the other 99.999% of the people. Maybe some of the "True Believers" are holding their breath to buy the "last" of the true VW diesels. But most of the other 99.999% have moved past the need. Certainly, most are not willing to pay full list price for a 3 year old car, simply to have the last of the VW diesels. I hope you find and buy your dream 2015 VW diesel, then drive it hundreds of miles each day for years into the future.

Me, I am done with VW. I will never buy another VW brand car again. Dieselgate has killed any future VW purchase for me. I am willing to buy a diesel from BMW, Ford, GM, Mazda, Ram, Jeep or any other brand. I have more choices than just VW and I am able to explore those choices.

I just don't expect the same pent up demand for 2015 diesels that you expect. But I am just not a real, 100% "True Believer".

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Certainly, most are not willing to pay full list price for a 3 year old car.....
That's me.....just inquired about a 2015 Passat TDI/auto w/24k. Dealer was asking 30k, I was like that car didn't even sell for 30k when NEW in 2015!! He said it was VW BB plus grievance.......I was like "keep it".....

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
yup used NMS TDI's all going for $28-35K

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I, too, hope the diesel enthusiasts can continue their dream of diesel ownership, so I'm not trying to rain on your parade.

My biggest concern about buying a moth-balled 2+ year-old vehicle of ANY brand would be the potential for electrical issues (already a very weak link in VAG products, IMHO). In my experience (and limited understanding!), electrical switches like to be used, not sit dormant.

Also, will any purchaser know how these cars were stored? Imported VAG products used to be coated with a thick waxy material that protected them in open air lots. How were these NMS Passats stored?

Will all these cars come with new tires? New batteries?

Regardless of any "diesel" desire, I think there are risks involved purchasing any mothballed car. IMO, even a comprehensive warranty won't compensate for inconvenience of system failures.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
knowing vag, they sent a min wage lot jockey to drive them back to the lot as is with zero labor other than maybe a jump start

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I turned my 15 Passat SE, 24500 miles back in on the 29th

They said it would be repaired and resold.

I feel like one of my legs have been amputated so I checked out an insurance auction I frequent to see what I could find.

Lots of Jetta's, some Gulf's and Passats, but the auction prices are crazy high, for instance...2013 Golf, low mileage, manual, flood car. sal title but run and drive, goes off Wednesday bid is at $12000.

The MB's are selling cheaper?

My 05 is looking better and better. Believe I'll take better care of it.

I'm at a lost as to what's going on, I figured for sure they would sell cheap at auction? and I would be able to snag another Passat

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
couple things, if you buy a car and try to sell it or trade it a week later. your selling a 3 yr old car not a week old car, and they will price accordingly, so the price you pay better reflect a 3 yr old car.
Banks prob wont give a new car loan on a 3 yr old car.
and those seals in the Car have been sitting dry for 2 yrs at least I bet..so will their life be compromised especially the AC pump.

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
I'm happy to hear they are selling them. Personally, I weathered the storm and happily had phase I completed so far on my 2015. I'm not so sure about them going "fast" but I believe there will be enough people still wanting them. Maybe they will sweeten up the pot with enhanced warranties.

Not sure why people who feel so strongly about "avoidance" still frequent these forums. If I was that adamant about it, I would have left and not looked back. To be honest, I've never looked at any of this as negative, except tough times for VW. This has been a great car and I've practically driven it for free the first 2 years. I'll stick it out with VW.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm right there with you, keeping diesel power as I looked into solar + EV or Plug in hybrid and its still not worth it- solar panels would pay for themselves just about when they are at the end of there life, the state tax's ev's on the miles you drive (very bad when you live a hour outside of town) and the power company just notified us that rates are jumping from 7 cents a kwh to 12 cents, all very bad for ev's
I will keep my NMS :D

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm right there with you, keeping diesel power as I looked into solar + EV or Plug in hybrid and its still not worth it- solar panels would pay for themselves just about when they are at the end of there life, the state tax's ev's on the miles you drive (very bad when you live a hour outside of town) and the power company just notified us that rates are jumping from 7 cents a kwh to 12 cents, all very bad for ev's
I will keep my NMS :D
A couple of things since you're doing some research... solar payback should be a lot quicker now that your electricity rate is almost doubling. Even at 12 cents per kWh, cost to drive is about half the cost of diesel (raw energy cost in cents per mile).

Fortunately solar costs continue to go down, so holding off for a year or two should make installing a system even cheaper than it is today. Solar life, while typically quoted at 20 years, is generally much longer than that. Payback depends on how much solar insolation your site actually has, how your system is set up and how much of that power you can utilize or sell back with a grid-tie system (and how much the power company pays you on a grid-tie system).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
These cars weren't parked in the Sahara. They'll be fine.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
A couple of things since you're doing some research... solar payback should be a lot quicker now that your electricity rate is almost doubling. Even at 12 cents per kWh, cost to drive is about half the cost of diesel (raw energy cost in cents per mile).

Fortunately solar costs continue to go down, so holding off for a year or two should make installing a system even cheaper than it is today. Solar life, while typically quoted at 20 years, is generally much longer than that. Payback depends on how much solar insolation your site actually has, how your system is set up and how much of that power you can utilize or sell back with a grid-tie system (and how much the power company pays you on a grid-tie system).
Good points. I have to wonder if he did the r.o.i. calc based on that 7 cent kw/hr power. An owner installed array will also cut the r.o.i. period significantly.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Funny you think like that.

The 50+ 2015s my dealer has have already been spoken for and most have down payments already on them. Apparently it took about three days and they're taken. Just waiting for the final thumbs up which will probably happen very soon.

Regards

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
Seems to me like this could end up helping values for those of us who are keeping our cars.

ben

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I turned my 15 Passat SE, 24500 miles back in on the 29th

They said it would be repaired and resold.

I feel like one of my legs have been amputated so I checked out an insurance auction I frequent to see what I could find.

Lots of Jetta's, some Gulf's and Passats, but the auction prices are crazy high, for instance...2013 Golf, low mileage, manual, flood car. sal title but run and drive, goes off Wednesday bid is at $12000.

The MB's are selling cheaper?

My 05 is looking better and better. Believe I'll take better care of it.

I'm at a lost as to what's going on, I figured for sure they would sell cheap at auction? and I would be able to snag another Passat
https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=24102777&RowNumber=24 sold

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
yup, these prices for used ones are rocketing back up

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
all of this talk of tires needing replacement from sitting, for what a year & 1/2...???....

I really think even though original tires are not the best clocking long miles due to their "quality",......this has nothing to do with their age....

On Getting good tires, I have had the best results from Michelin's that easily lasted far longer than any other make for me....

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^I guess you've never experienced flat-spotting? There have been members here (IIRC) that purchased NMS cars that had tires with permanent flat-spots, having sat for 2-3 months.
VW says these cars are periodically moved around, but really, who knows?
This, from TireRack: "Tires on vehicles stored on the ground for many months can be permanently flat-spotted." I've learned this is true, from experience.
But what do they know? They're in the business of selling tires...
Are current engineered tires LESS prone to flat-spotting? I don't know.

MP517PRCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI Lux
Spoke to the used car manager at my local 'dub dealer on Friday night...

Don't believe 90% of what the rumor mill is saying...

He just go back from a VWAG sales conference in Las Vegas Thursday Night, and had a lot of new information.

VW hasn't actually rescinded the stop-sale on any of "new" or "buyback, i.e. CPO" 2015s yet. While some dealers are taking deposits, they are still not allowed to sell any "new" TDIs and VWAG hasn't released any "fixed CPOs"

Sale prices for "new" or "CPO" 2015s have not been set yet.

"New" 2015s will all get new tires and new brake pads before they are sold due to the fact that they have been sitting for 2 years.

"CPO" TDIs will not be available until at least mid summer 2017.

"CPO" TDIs will be released onto the market gradually over the next few years to avoid flooding the market and thus depressing values.

"CPO" TDIs will be pulled from the holding lots and fixed based on their position in the holding lot, i.e. the ones closest to the edges of the lot will be fixed first, the ones trapped in the middle of the lot will be fixed last. So, it will sort of be a first-in, last-out ordeal.

Also, when someone turns in a "buyback" the dealer has the option to "request" the car back from VWAG once the car is "fixed."

He had a Grey 2015 GSW SE 6M with 20,000 miles on it pass thru the dealership that he is trying to get back from VWAG for me once it is fixed.

In regards to dealer attempting to sell used TDIs for more than sticker, the guy I spoke to had a customer flat out refuse to be involved in the buyback. They explained to him repeatedly that he could get more doing the buyback, but he didn't want to "go online." He traded in his TDI for far less than he would have gotten from the settlement. The dealer sold the car the next day for market value and for the following week got calls from other dealers across the county offering them as much as $5000 more than retail value for the car. So, it is possible that dealers are selling used TDIs for more than sticker, but they are NOT factory CPO cars with the "fix."

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Even if I discount your post by the 90% you recommend:D, VAG's plans are still as clear as mud.
Very glad I'm out, for the moment. Values for these cars will be virtually impossible to determine, for insurance purposes, re-sale. The pain will come for those unfortunate folk that have an accident that totals their car...

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
that's true. A friend got hit head on in his mint 2007 Dodge diesel, insurance gave him blue book- but you cant find even beat down one for less than 25K :eek: he lost over 10K in the accident that wasn't his fault