Farewell TDI Forum

Costello

TDI
no longer
Sadly, I have now sold my 2012 back to VW. The car was everything I'd expected, and (except for frequent regens, more recalls than I can recall, and a VW buyback) I enjoyed driving it a lot. I truly hope that affordable auto diesel technology is again available in the USA one day.
Many thanks to the Forum, moderators and members. Best wishes to everyone. Here I learned neat tricks with VCDS, oil change instruction, fuel filter methods and DSG service methods, all which I did myself over the 80K I had the car.
PS, shameless plug - My leftover maintenance items are listed for sale in - TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=475391

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I was going to do my own farewell but it would have said the same, minus the plug for the for sale thread.

Only extra I can say is tdiclub is one of a kind. Wish their were other car forums this detailed and helpful.

Good luck to all keeping your cars.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
My cars are gone, but I'm still hanging around. Yes, indeed, TDIClub is one of a kind. The willingness of a few gurus to assist, and the decades of real-world experience by the...uh...senior crowd are incredibly valuable.

By contrast, the Leaf, CMax, and especially the Avalon Hybrid forums are...quite dull. Hmm...maybe it's because they don't break as often??? HAHA!!!

I'll be back in a VW when the time is right.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
See you guys around! I'm glad that you found the forums helpful while you were here.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Yeah i would take you up on the for sale but i have been cleaning up with oil change kits and already having my timing belt kit for a couple months from now. I'm set for a couple of years with all these good deals! There definitely something to be said for this forum.. it is indeed one of a kind.

Costello

TDI
no longer
Glad to see the positive responses. Thanks for the kind words to the forum.
This is an extremely helpful place.

As I hold out hope to get another diesel (auto) one day,
I'm sure I'll be checking back in.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
seen another car carrier packed full of TDI's headed down to the port of Portland. Sad, hope they don't get scrapped. lots of JSW's too

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
My cars are gone, but I'm still hanging around. Yes, indeed, TDIClub is one of a kind. The willingness of a few gurus to assist, and the decades of real-world experience by the...uh...senior crowd are incredibly valuable.

By contrast, the Leaf, CMax, and especially the Avalon Hybrid forums are...quite dull. Hmm...maybe it's because they don't break as often??? HAHA!!!

I'll be back in a VW when the time is right.
Agree! After being a part of this for 17 years and having TDI's all that time, you don't just walk away.

May not have the need to come here for information, but I can still contribute on the old Jetta VE's, the 2004/2005 Passat PD engines, and Biodiesel in VW's....

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
It's a unique culture here. Does anyone think it could adapt to include more light duty diesels?

Besides the usual suspects, the new Mazda diesel due soon in North America looks like a perfect fit - similar customer base and price point as the TDI.
Light duty diesels are more alike one another than not. Perhaps a slight name change is in order? Fred's Total Diesel?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
(with the VAG created diesel disaster, either Mazda will try to take advantage of the loss of new TDIs, or they'll bail on diesel in the USA. I predict the latter, but what do I know???)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
It's a unique culture here. Does anyone think it could adapt to include more light duty diesels?

Besides the usual suspects, the new Mazda diesel due soon in North America looks like a perfect fit - similar customer base and price point as the TDI.
Light duty diesels are more alike one another than not. Perhaps a slight name change is in order? Fred's Total Diesel?
Why does "TDI Club" need a name change? It would be merely a matter of adding new categories to the main forums list.
As for me, I'm dubious about Government Motors moving into diesel passenger vehicles, and have no use for either a Cruze or an Equinox. Like the previous poster, I am dubious about Mazda- and it's an SUV as well.
We're going to need a car in 2018 when we turn this Passat in for the buyback, and the other options (MB, BMW) are too pricey to even consider.
So- it's back to the world of gas cars, and at this point (ever subject to change), we like the NMS Passat well enough that the gasoline version is a likely candidate.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
the new Accord gets 50MPG real world on cheap RUG! True Its not a German ride but at least the oil filter is easy to access :D My old 2009 Accord that I sold my father to buy the nms is still going strong with $0 in repairs vs $500 or so in my nms (clock spring)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
nms: Careful about MPG claims. That 50mpg may be real for ideal circumstances, but there's still no way any current RUG engine is getting 50mpg tank-to-tank.

I can easily achieve 44pmg with my Avalon Hybrid, one-way trips, but on the way back, drops to 35mpg. I AM getting a solid 38mpg with every tank, combined C/H.

For comparison, my 2014 Passat SEL, day-to-day, averaged 34mpg C/H where I currently live. THAT'S "real world". My 2009 JSW (Revo tuned), with DSG, 32mpg.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Tdiatlast, If I recall you bought your Avalon Hybrid what, 3-4 months ago? With some time behind the wheel, how are you liking it? As satisfying to drive as the Passat?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
TdiatLast, I thought the same thing but A good friend picked one up after his buyback- he said so far its exceeding his TDI by a huge margin in winter weather, where cold and rain dropped his TDI in the 30's his Accord is staying around 45MPG and often 55mpg on dry days on flat ground! We are planning a dual family road trip threw the mountain lakes in the Northern Cascades this summer and we will top both my NMS and his Accord off at the same station both before and after the trip- will report back in August :) This was mostly planned to find out the true MPG difference, don't tell our wife's ;)
This is the same car he picked up> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKTD6izrMqg

Last edited:

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Jrm, have you driven the Accord Hybrid? What year? Enjoyable/satisfying to drive as the Passat?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I have not, he lives a few hours away- he is not a vw fanboy while I am. He loves the Accord so far, its a 17 hybrid as in the video and has just over a thousand miles on it and loves it- but I'm sure id prefer my TDI torque over it any day :) We shall see what does best in steep terrain!

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
turned my 15 in this AM, its headed to Canada for the fix then resold back in the States. That's what I was told?

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tdiatlast, If I recall you bought your Avalon Hybrid what, 3-4 months ago? With some time behind the wheel, how are you liking it? As satisfying to drive as the Passat?
We've put 16k miles on the 2014 Avalon Hybrid. The ONLY thing I dislike about the car is the ride is softer than the Passat, wanting to wallow-porpoise a bit. However, with the concrete issues in the DFW region (uneven at expansion cracks), the Avalon is MUCH more user friendly.
Different class of vehicle, and it's noticeable in every way.
Averaging right at 39 mpg, c/h combined, driving normally.
Torque? Plenty.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
the new Accord gets 50MPG real world on cheap RUG!
Maybe going downhill with a tailwind :)

All kidding aside, the Hybrid Accord has 0 trunk room and the rear seats do not fold down at all. That's why I bought the 2.4L gas engine version. It is averaging about 31mpg on RUG. My TDI was around 41. But unleaded has been cheaper, so my Accord is costing less per mile.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe going downhill with a tailwind :)
All kidding aside, the Hybrid Accord has 0 trunk room and the rear seats do not fold down at all. That's why I bought the 2.4L gas engine version. It is averaging about 31mpg on RUG. My TDI was around 41. But unleaded has been cheaper, so my Accord is costing less per mile.
"All kidding aside", I believe the Accord Hybrid has much more than "0 trunk room.":p

Gotta be careful about hyperbole. Ask any politician.:D

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
set your cruise at 75, go find some mountains, let me know how many gears it drops down to keep up and how close to red line you get

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
any one of the three in your stable

On Houston freeways, Leaf's and hybrids are a nuisance we like them in the right lane.

Great cars for grocery shopping.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nuisance? That's the driver's fault, not the vehicle.
Less stink for the air you breathe, though...but you'd always be in front of me anyway...and I stay in the right lane, moving right along at 70mph, getting 39-40mpg from the Cmax and Avalon Hybrid...and 2 cents a mile fuel cost in the Leaf...with zero stink...ever...windpower sourced electricity in our home.
Oh...and low-end torque in all 3 is superior to the CRTdi...

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I envy tdiatlast for having wind power to recharge his vehicle. That is the only way to go and claim it is clean. In our part of the country 99% of the power is from dams so power it is also clean. But if you have an electric vehicle in many places in the country where electricity is generated from hydrocarbon power plants, the vehicle owners can't brag that their vehicle is clean, because hydrocarbons are burned to generate the electricity to charge their vehicles. For me a EV is not practical because I drive father than most vehicles can go, unless you can afforded a $65,000 Tesla, and I do tow a trailer with the Harley at times.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
Exactly, in many parts of the world a Leaf would be a coal powered car :D I already added a 50A outlet next to each parking spot in my house, that way once solar drops in cost I will add a 10kw setup and pick up some sort of ev that has 200+ mile range. Until then, the NMS happily motors on :cool: The only problem I foresee is the tax on EV's by the mile- that would also be a complete show stopper