Wiring harness for radio upgrade. (RMT 300)

Remeciis

TDI
2006 Jetta
So I've decided to upgrade my 2006 Jetta with the stock radio to the RMT 300s from the newer ones since they have built in bluetooth. Deutscheworks makes a plug and play wiring harness (which is what Id want since I am not car audio inclined) but it is comically priced at 100$. Does anyone know a cheaper plug and play option for a wiring harness?

Link to said harness:
https://shopdap.com/store/5m0-051-629-a-041.html

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
That is one I'm having a hard time finding a cheaper harness. The one you linked to has a CAN BUS emulator. The RMT-300 (from what I've gathered) doesn't have any connections for CAN BUS communications. Therefore you need something that can read those signals and interpret them to cut the power to the radio when the key is switched off and when to activate the illumination.

I have seen on ebay a seller that is offering a different type of adapter with the radio, but not the adapter separate. It requires more wiring changes, and if you aren't familiar with how the power or electrical circuits work in the car that could be an issue.

This link is for a different radio, but comes with the same type adapter that I saw with the RMT-300 on ebay. It should show you what you are up against if you don't go with the CAN BUS emulator.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=419079

There are still RCN-215's available on Aliexpress, and I even saw something called a RCD-330. Either one of those are still around $100 at this time. You just have to wait for shipping. You remind me that I need to sell my RCN--215, but I think there is still a CD in there.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
So is the main risk simply a flat battery?
That depends on which radio you are looking at.

The RMT-300 appears to have power circuits like aftermarket radios. One circuit to supply power all the time and another switched with the ignition so the radio knows when it is to turn on/off automatically. There shouldn't be any issues with battery drain there unless you wired it up to run all the time and forgot to turn it off.

The RCN-215 uses the Convenience CAN BUS (which is tapped from the HVAC controls) to know when to turn on/off with the ignition (and turn Bluetooth on/off), when and what level to set backlighting, to get speed information for the speed dependent volume control, and allow steering wheel control signals. I've not heard of anyone having battery drain issues with this radio.

The RCD-330 is a newer radio, and while I've not done enough digging into it I suspect it could range from the same issue as the newer RCD-510, RNS-315, and RNS-510 can have in A5 cars. Those radios talk over the Entertainment (Infotainment) CAN BUS, and there is more data going over that than what the RCN-215 does. These radios can prevent the CAN BUS from going into sleep mode when the car is off, resulting in a dead battery in a day or two. This can be corrected with an updated CAN Gateway module. Of note, this problem doesn't happen with all older generation cars. I have the RNS-315 in mine now and have not upgraded the Gateway module with no battery drain issue.

Remeciis

TDI
2006 Jetta
I'm looking for something strictly plug and play that I wouldn't have to splice as I have zero experience when it comes to car audio. Have you seen any options for those on Ebay? If the RMT 300 is 'smart' enough to have a circuit to power off, I'm not sure why I need to buy their 90$ wiring harness.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
The big issue there with the RMT-300 is your car doesn't have a switched power line to the radio, all that is controlled over the CAN BUS, that is why you need the expensive adapter for plug and play. Otherwise it does take some rewiring.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
To the OP. If you haven't yet bought the RMT300, I recommend you give a hard look at the RCD330g or RCD330g plus.

I got the RCD330g plus ($140 shipped of ebay) for my wife's 2006 and I couldn't be happier. You do have to change the CAN BUS if you have anything lower than the F suffix (F included). I also got the CAN bus off ebay for something like $25.

Now I have to find time to retrofit the backup camera to the RCD300g plus. Hopefully it works.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I stand corrected. CAN BUS needs to be updated to 7N0907530, I believe any revision will do, but many people use the AM version which is still less than 30 bucks.

BTW, the camera does work. I now have to install and route the cables, tap the power from reverse lights, and get a proper CAN BUS, 1K0... rev H does not solve the battery drain.

Remeciis

TDI
2006 Jetta
I stand corrected. CAN BUS needs to be updated to 7N0907530, I believe any revision will do, but many people use the AM version which is still less than 30 bucks.

BTW, the camera does work. I now have to install and route the cables, tap the power from reverse lights, and get a proper CAN BUS, 1K0... rev H does not solve the battery drain.

Can you link the Can bus you got off ebay? Im not sure which one I need to buy.

It seems if Im trying to be cost effective for a plug and play unit is to buy the radio you mentioned and a Can bus off Ebay and I have a chance of getting a working Bluetooth radio for around 200$.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I just installed the RCD330g plus in my car and I'm very happy with it. For the CANBUS I went with 7N0907530AJ. Originally I bought the RCD330 g plus with CD player version, after that I've changed my mind and bought the version without CD player. If anyone needs a RCD330g plus with CD player, I'm planning to sell the one I have extra (brand new, still sealed). I bought it for $130, will sell it at a discount.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Another update: I guess depending on which camera you get (I got a chippie from ebay) you would have to tap the 12v plug in the truck rather than the backup lights power.

Camera had a horrible flicker that nothing could help, until I changed the power source.

Yes, the camera is then "on" all the time, but I doubt it will drain the battery. Very thin wires for power can't be drawing much.

Last edited:

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I just installed the RCD330g plus in my car and I'm very happy with it. For the CANBUS I went with 7N0907530AJ. Originally I bought the RCD330 g plus with CD player version, after that I've changed my mind and bought the version without CD player. If anyone needs a RCD330g plus with CD player, I'm planning to sell the one I have extra (brand new, still sealed). I bought it for $130, will sell it at a discount.

Maybe interested in this. Does this unit come with Android Auto? or is just the mirror link system that only works on some phones?

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Maybe interested in this. Does this unit come with Android Auto? or is just the mirror link system that only works on some phones?
I'm not sure, as I am currently overseas until next week. Once I'll return I'll let you know.