Audi A3 Dieselgate -- Info

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
You can find the info here, if you have not looked through it already.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/162-3006/volkswagen-group-america-inc

It appears we will not get much for our modded cars, unless we put them back to stock, which for probably most of us, will not be easy. Below is some things being said from professionals in the community.

-----------------------------------------
From KermaTDI:
I'm being told that any payment will be contingent upon VW either buying back the car (to make it compliant) or fixing the car to make it compliant. The payout will be minus he cost of any "repairs' needed - "reverse delete" for example. So tuned guys simply go back to stock, but if you have a delete it needs to be reversed or VW will take the cost of the dpf and other parts out of the total.
-----------------------------------------

What do you think? What will you do?

For me, I'm not sure how much effort it would take to get my car back to stock, and will it be worth it? Maybe. I sold off some of the emissions parts, but my car has low enough mileage to yield almost $10k of what I bought it for in the buyback price tables.

Then again I like the car. I don't love it, I'd love more MPG, but at the same time, I don't want to keep the car and have the amount I owe be double of what the car is actually worth. So... I have some thinking to do. :confused:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
They wont be able to fix our cars. Maybe some of the newer models which already have a adblue system.

So for us our only option will be to sell them back... according to their chart they would be giving me around $22000 after mileage and option adjustments.

I'll lose $2k if I keep driving the car until May 2018 because of mileage adjustments, which I may do. $20K for my 2011 A3 in May 2018 sounds like a great deal.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
For my car with the options and mileage, according to the charts... If it was stock, I could get over $27k. That would be nice. Not including the restitution cash.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
There is no restitution cash.. Thats already included in the buyout price.

How are we $5k apart with the same year A3?

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup! Was yours a premium plus with all options? I got a lot from that because mine was.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I want a E250 4matic but dont want to spend more than $25k on a daily driver.

When the right one comes along, I'll sell the A3.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I want a E250 4matic but dont want to spend more than $25k on a daily driver.

When the right one comes along, I'll sell the A3.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I will hold onto my A3 for now, just to see if there is any way they can fix it.
I average less than 1042 miles per month so the value will stay about the same.

I'm a little bummed about (losing) the DSG tune but at least I'll have it for as long as I keep it.

My buyback value came out at 29,177 or about 6k more than the used vehicle only cost last August.
Not exactly a windfall after having paid 27,813 with tax, license and extended warranty.

Racer007

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I may be misunderstood on the definitions of the FTC agreement but as I read the documents the modifications definitions apply to vehicles that owners turn into for becoming compliant with EPA regs. Does this truly apply to vehicles with tunes and DPF deletes that are buybacks only? Where does it state in their documents that the buyback prices include the cash retribution compensation? If I am reading it wrong please correct me without flames.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I may be misunderstood on the definitions of the FTC agreement but as I read the documents the modifications definitions apply to vehicles that owners turn into for becoming compliant with EPA regs. Does this truly apply to vehicles with tunes and DPF deletes that are buybacks only? Where does it state in their documents that the buyback prices include the cash retribution compensation? If I am reading it wrong please correct me without flames.
http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwmdl/proposed-settlement

First column clearly states those numbers are buyback and incentive combined.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport

Wrong. You get the car bought back at Sept 2015 and compensation of up to $8,000 if you are an OWNER.

Leasees only get the car taken back, no restitution since they did not own the car and had no value in the car.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Wrong. You get the car bought back at Sept 2015 and compensation of up to $8,000 if you are an OWNER.

Leasees only get the car taken back, no restitution since they did not own the car and had no value in the car.
Double wrong on your part.. Lesses do get some compensation back.

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/att._3a_-_lessee_restitution_table.pdf

I wish I was wrong but in this case you are.

The amounts listed on this site are what you get. These amounts already have the incentives added to them. For example.. my car last Sept was valued around $17-18K.. but I'm getting $22K.
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/att._1a_-_buyback_modification_table.pdf

Adjusted by this mileage adjusted table.
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/att._2c_-_passat_and_a3_mileage_table.pdf

Feel free to read through the 50+ pages here to verify what I'm saying.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=463015

Last edited:

Tailwagger

TDI
2015 A3
Hmmm... by my calculation from the current documents, thanks for the links BTW, and assuming this is all approved, my premium plus + bo + nav + driver assist and given my current mileage of 15K, will net me somewhere around $50K on the buyback. The car listed for $42, I paid $38K cash in Nov 2014 + $800 for the service plan. Not to mention the $500 cash and $500 in gifts from the card they handed out.

I'll admit I was pretty annoyed that Audi went ahead and sold me this car despite knowing that there might be a problem given they were first informed about the discrepancies months before I bought the car. when this first broke, I would have been happy with a settlement that had them taking the car and just returning the original purchase price. From the look of the residual value numbers, we're getting the retail value on the buy back, not the trade-in value. Hard to understand why any owner would keep their car, unless you felt they were all going to the crusher and couldnt bear to let that happen. I get they should feel some of the same pain about this just as we all have and I wont turn the cash down, but I cant help but feel this level of compensation is a bit excessive.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
Hum mm interesting, I paid $33k out the door for my 2015 A3 last October and I don't even have 10,000 miles on it yet. I wonder if it's worth giving back...?

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Where are you guys finding payout amounts for our cars? Maybe I can't get to it on my phone? If anyone can tell me easily what mine would be it's a 2010 with 190k

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Where are you guys finding payout amounts for our cars? Maybe I can't get to it on my phone? If anyone can tell me easily what mine would be it's a 2010 with 190k

Premium or Premium Plus?
Moonroof?
Navi?
Sport Package?
Bose?
Power seat?

Tailwagger

TDI
2015 A3
Courtesy of Racer007 in post #17

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/162-3006/volkswagen-group-america-inc

for the base buy back price:
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/160628att1a.pdf

for the mileage adjustment:
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/160628att2c.pdf

5FDP

TDI
A3
Not sure what I will do. Maybe a BMW 328D or Elio (84mpg!). I put about 2000-3000mi/mo on my car.

ChinaBob

TDI
2016 BMW 328d x-drive; 2015 Audi A3 TDi
From the look of the residual value numbers, we're getting the retail value on the buy back, not the trade-in value. Hard to understand why any owner would keep their car, unless you felt they were all going to the crusher and couldnt bear to let that happen. I get they should feel some of the same pain about this just as we all have and I wont turn the cash down, but I cant help but feel this level of compensation is a bit excessive.

Yeah, what you said. I can't believe what they'll be paying me for what by October will be my two-year-old A3 with around 90,000 miles on it. But I look at it this way: They've got to pry 85% of these cars away from us and/or fix them, and between carrots and sticks, they've got no sticks, which means the carrots are going to have to be awfully big. Thus, they've made us an offer most of us can't refuse.

As for myself, I'd love to have another A3 diesel and they're plenty cheap and plentiful right now, we just can't buy them. Hopefully there'll be a fix soon, but if not, then what? I'm already looking at 328d's. But as another poster pointed out, the settlement might actually drive prices for diesel cars up. Think of it, over 400,000 current VW diesels owners suddenly in need of cars starting in October, and many of those, like me, who really want another diesel.

This is going to be interesting.

5FDP

TDI
A3
I'm going for either a Elio or BMW 535D. The 328d is suddenly going to be a hot seller. I'd love to pick up a 735D bit the prices are still too high for me as they only came out in 2015.