UNOFFICIAL Adblue Heater Element Failure Thread

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
It's a wrap! Picked up my "Billy Baroo (Caddy Shack)" last night at the dealer. VW NA called to follow up as well. VW knocked off 25% of the ($650) Heater Element. "Because my car was so far beyond the warranty" was their reasoning. The upside to this-

IT'S GREAT TO BE BACK INTO MY TDI !

Post mortem-
Anyone considering the purchase of a Clean Diesel should really consider acquiring the Extended Bumper to Bumper Warranty. My issue was Emissions related, not Motor-train.

The larger picture concern IS the failure of VW's ISO 9001 compliance that keeps their thumb on the pulse with regard to supply chain vendors e,g,. Supply/demand/stock to dock lead times and constant re forecasting.

#ShipsDon'tSinkInSections

2012 Passat TDI SE. 6SpM

butterme

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Year: 2013
Mileage: 43,920
Warning Light: Engine Light
Code: Not sure
Any symptoms or problems before diagnosis: None
Repair Time: Two days

My check engine light came on Saturday morning. Online I made an appointment with my VW dealer for Monday morning. I took my car in and by the afternoon I found out the car had a bad adblue tank heater. They had to order the part and my car was ready to pickup on Wednesday afternoon.

I was told by the dealer this is not an emissions issue, therefore the part is not under any warranty. Interestingly, the deal already had a paper printed up showing me all that's covered under the emissions warranty. The adblue tank and dosing pump module are covered for 7 years/70,000, but the heater isn't covered at all.

I spoke with the service manager, and he told me in the last month they've had one Touareg, and three passats (including mine) with this same problem.

I ended up having to pay $1,590 for the repair!

Thursday morning I contacted VW customer service's 800#. I explained what was going on. They promised to get back to me within 24 hours. I'm happy to report that VW will be paying for the entire repair! The service rep said I should receive a check within two to three weeks.

The VW rep said the adblue heater isn't part of the emissions warranty, but since I was just out of my warranty, and am loyal to my dealer they will reimburse me.

Last edited:

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Great to hear that : You got a quick turn-around on your car; VW is cutting you a reimbursement check; and that you are labeled a "Loyal" customer. I blew the last one when I responded that I did my own oil changes but anything else was directed to my dealer.

'12 Passat TDI 6SpM
Pre '65 HD's Rule

New England

lojeff10

TDI
2012 Passat - 6sp MT
Looks like I joined the club.

61,000 miles
CEL on for about 5 days
no other issues and appears to be driving fine
recently had software update and 60k service

Dealer quotes $1760 for Adblue Heater Module Failure and repair kit. Dealer said it was not covered under Emissions Warranty but suggested calling VW Customer Care. I did that and Customer Care confirmed that it wouldn't be covered but would look into it and "see what they can do."

Hopefully they come back with a significant reduction but who knows.

I had Scirocco back in the 80s and 90s. Came back to VW with the 2012 Passat but really not happy with large repair at 60k miles. At least the $$ for scirocco repairs were over 100k miles. ugh.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Our CEL has been off and on a couple of times in the past few months, but seems to be steady now. It's a real VW! :rolleyes: ;)

lojeff10

TDI
2012 Passat - 6sp MT
Got a call from VW today. They are still researching but hope to get me an answer tomorrow.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Our CEL has been off and on a couple of times in the past few months, but seems to be steady now. It's a real VW! :rolleyes: ;)

This is great !!! When my CEL came on I told my wife that it finely feels like a real VW. :D she didn't get it !!!

13PassatSEL

TDI
2013 TDI SEL
Looks like I joined the club, too.

37,800 miles
CEL on for two days
code: unknown
All dealer service and maintenance, no complaints.
No performance issues, runs normal.
No extended warranty.

Dealer called today with news of adblue heater failure. Said that they are in contact with VW to see what they can do about cost since just out of warranty and within the 36 months. Did not mention price at all. They did say part was on back order and estimate is 2 weeks to get part. Also said that another passat tdi had the same problem and they were waiting on the part to repair it. I asked if the car was ok to drive and they said yes. It's interesting that they wanted to keep the car until VW got back with them about the charges which could be up to 24hrs. Thanks!

KleenDiesel

TDI
2012 Passat
2012 with 128600km's (80mi)
MIL came on yesterday morning. Continued to drive another 250km's. Other than light on, an obvious diesel exhaust burning smell was very evident.
Just got off of phone with Dealer... Heating element malfunction not allowing system to regen. Authorized another hour to complete the diagnosis.
Will post total$ in Canadian funds when all said and done.

Last edited:

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Solid CEL
P205B
Two codes within 90 miles; no other symptoms observed.

Have dealer appointment on Thursday. Asked service writer on whether or not VW is covering DEF system repairs under the extended emissions warranty and he said, "Yes." Will report findings.

Updates:
06/18/15 - Dealer ordered replacement part.
07/01/15 - Replacement part arrived at dealer.
07/07/15 - Repair performed at no charge under powertrain warranty (P/N: 561 198 970 A).

Very pleased with my service experience. However, I'm concerned that the replacement part is not re-engineered/improved and will not provide longer service life.

Last edited:

KleenDiesel

TDI
2012 Passat
Picked mine up this afternoon. $360 in Diangnosis. The Heater Element is on order. Dealer says the part is backordered and it should arrive in 3 weeks. No Coverage under the extended Emissions Warranty, 8yrs/130000km's....

lojeff10

TDI
2012 Passat - 6sp MT
VW customer care said they would cover the parts and the dealer would discount the labor. I was told it would take the original $1760 quote down to about $530. Dealer said they would need a couple of days to get parts. Now they say they need a couple of weeks. I didn't want a loaner so I have my Passat back until the parts come in.

Not sure how or when this will end.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Picked mine up this afternoon. $360 in Diangnosis. The Heater Element is on order. Dealer says the part is backordered and it should arrive in 3 weeks. No Coverage under the extended Emissions Warranty, 8yrs/130000km's....
$360 for the diagnosis? It's plugging in the computer and reading what the code is! :eek: I'd be ticked off about that.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Returning back here to this thread >10 Days since my Adblue Heating Element mitigation I wonder if there exists enough similar issues to warrant a feasibility study to launch class-action

'12 Passat TDI 6SpM
Pre '65 HD's Rule

New England

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
2013, 85,000KM's, code P202B, heater element, CEL on solid, no messages.

Will make appt at the dealer tomorrow.

Don

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
NSTDI, though the heater element supply chain should've been resolved find out from your dealer if they can confirm that they already have the part or the supply line can confirm the stock to dock delivery of the component. If they can't confidently answer then take precaution

'12 Passat TDI 6SpM
Pre '65 HD's Rule

New England

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
NSTDI, though the heater element supply chain should've been resolved find out from your dealer if they can confirm that they already have the part or the supply line can confirm the stock to dock delivery of the component. If they can't confidently answer then take precaution

'12 Passat TDI 6SpM
Pre '65 HD's Rule

New England
Good idea.

Don

KleenDiesel

TDI
2012 Passat
$360 for the diagnosis? It's plugging in the computer and reading what the code is! :eek: I'd be ticked off about that.
They insisted the full removal of the DEF tank was necesary to complete the diagnosis..
The Dealer called this morning and the heater has arrived two weeks early!
8am appt, i was quoted 2.0hrs to R&R.
I have also contacted vw customer relations and requested assistance. A file has been created and they are investigating.

KleenDiesel

TDI
2012 Passat
Picked up my vehicle this afternoon.
Diesel exhaust fluid Heater element was replaced, MIL is off.
Another $430 before taxes. That's a grand Total of $800.
I also just got off of the phone with VW customer relations, no assitance will be given based on the information they received from the Dealer, and the component is no way related to the Emissions System or Emissions Warranty.
Nice to hear US Customers are getting looked after for the same repair.
Oh well, it's fixed. Good for another 100000km's

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Perhaps there is no relation in the summer, when the fluid won't freeze. In the winter, when the fluid freezes and can't be pumped, NOx emissions will be higher and the vehicle will not be in compliance with emissions regulation, which is why VW must include the no-start countdown when the vehicle is out of emissions compliance.

So, if you have a failed heater in the winter, the car can't control NOx, and you get a no-start countdown for emissions compliance, what is VW's story going to be? Also, how do I pass an emissions inspection in a state like VA with a check engine light on for a failed DEF heater?

This is a similar case to VW's denial of HPFP problems. I anticipate that these repairs will ultimately be covered under some sort of warranty or good will, but it may take a few more years.

lojeff10

TDI
2012 Passat - 6sp MT
I got mine back today with a $575 bill. While it could have been a much more expensive repair without VW good will, I am still not happy that such an expensive part fails just over 60k miles. When I was paying I overheard tech calling a customer saying the an add blue repair was needed for a fluid level sensor. No price was mentioned. Not good.

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I had to have my a/c recharged after 2 years on my 2013 and since they could not find a leak??? I paid 265 bucks and got no where with the rep at VWoA. They sent me a survey and it may not make any difference but it gave me the satisfaction of telling them like it is. I am starting to think i will ditch mine once i hit my 4 year xtended warranty mark...too many big ticket items going bad with not many miles.

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Perhaps there is no relation in the summer, when the fluid won't freeze. In the winter, when the fluid freezes and can't be pumped, NOx emissions will be higher and the vehicle will not be in compliance with emissions regulation, which is why VW must include the no-start countdown when the vehicle is out of emissions compliance.

So, if you have a failed heater in the winter, the car can't control NOx, and you get a no-start countdown for emissions compliance, what is VW's story going to be? Also, how do I pass an emissions inspection in a state like VA with a check engine light on for a failed DEF heater?

This is a similar case to VW's denial of HPFP problems. I anticipate that these repairs will ultimately be covered under some sort of warranty or good will, but it may take a few more years.
Exactly, Vw is full of BS on this one. Adblue is needed for the car too
A. Help it start in the morning
B. Provide additional weight in the rear for winter driving
C. Inject into the exhaust system to meet emission standards
D. None of the above

I suppose if a vwoa rep took this test they would select D.

hockeypuck

TDI
2014 Passat 6M SE
Trying to figure out a pattern

I do not go past 10k miles for a refill. Any chance failures are due people running tanks low on ad blue?

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I do not go past 10k miles for a refill. Any chance failures are due people running tanks low on ad blue?
These cars should be made to not cause a major repair because you are low on ad blue. They should shut down before they get to that point.

Does the manual say not to run low on ad blue?

For that matter, does the manual say not to interrupt a regen? Another thing that should be "built it/foolproof"?

Don

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Hockeypuck, I thought the same thing and asked the question a while ago but there were people who had theirs fail and never ran theirs to the low warning. So I'm not sure what, if any, pattern may exist.

houseofkafka

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Year: 2012
Mileage: 85k
Warning Light(s): CEL
Code(s): P202A
Any symptoms or problems before diagnosis: none
Repair Time: first quote 3-5 business days for parts. Then at 5 days the service rep said 2-3 weeks because the part was coming from Germany. Then at 3 weeks the service rep said "the part is on backorder indefinitely--nobody across the county can get this part in!"
Any pertinent info from dealer: Volkswagen of Boise (Idaho) is who I took the car to. They have been very helpful, but unfortunately cannot get the part in to fix my Passat.

I was originally told that it would be unsafe to drive the car without the AdBlue heater fixed but that statement was revised when I went to pick up the car after 4 weeks and the parts still with unknown ETA.
The service rep said to call VWoA and add my name to the (apparently growing) list of folks having this same issue.

$1200 was the approximate estimate for repairs.

VW should eat this--especially if there is now such a severe shortage of the part?!

Also, I was informed by the service rep when I went to pick up my Passat that after driving it unfixed for 400 miles I would hit some sort of hard-stop because the issue wasn't resolved and the car would not be able start. huh?

Last edited: