Engine noise when cold.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
I had the same exact problem. After 6 weeks in the shop, while VW tried to figure out what it was, they finally fixed it.
Didn't have confidence in the long term life of the vehicle, and I sold the car shortly after getting in back.

bboshart

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline 6M Sports Package
I got my car back yesterday and the issue does seem to be resolved. They replaced the injector on cylinder #1. Big thanks to you Rabert, because of your similar video, I pushed them on having a closer look at the injectors. Thanks also, to everyone who replied in this thread.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
yup, a bad injector can produce some pretty crazy noise :D

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
All:

My '13 Passat (116k miles) is experiencing the same noise when cold. By cold, I mean it's in a 50F garage overnight, so not even relatively cold. It started out mild a shot while ago, now is getting worse. If we let it idle for at least a couple minutes prior, it doesn't make the noise or is not as noticeable. I didn't let it sit a minute or two and it actually bucked a little on Easter Sunday, which made me realize its getting worse. Low throttle input, noticed something odd, and it bucked/nailed a bit.

I'm guessing injector as well, but don't want to put them all in if I don't have to. Does anyone know how I can use VCDS to identify which injector might be causing this noise?

ReallyBigAir

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
My 2013 Passat TDI started exhibiting this same noise at about 80k miles. The noise was most obvious first thing in the morning when the engine was cold. As the engine warmed, the noise was reduced. However, over time it seemed that the engine was still noisy, but not as loud. Some mornings, along with the noise, the engine bucked/shuttered along with the noise.

I took the car to the dealer for diagnosis. Of course, no codes were found, so they did not know what to do. They did acknowledge they heard the noise during an evaluation drive. They reached out to VW Technical support and were instructed to replace all of the injectors. After the injectors were replaced, no noise and the engine is running much more smoothly.

BTW, they did not charge me for the repair. They said it was covered by the emissions extended warranty. Bonus! I was really worried it was going to cost me a bundle to repair since I had heard (many times) that VW would only cover repairs when there was a check engine light or code produced. In my case, no check engine light and no codes were found.

bimmerjoe

TDI
2009 jetta highline
My 2013 Passat TDI started exhibiting this same noise at about 80k miles. The noise was most obvious first thing in the morning when the engine was cold. As the engine warmed, the noise was reduced. However, over time it seemed that the engine was still noisy, but not as loud. Some mornings, along with the noise, the engine bucked/shuttered along with the noise.

I took the car to the dealer for diagnosis. Of course, no codes were found, so they did not know what to do. They did acknowledge they heard the noise during an evaluation drive. They reached out to VW Technical support and were instructed to replace all of the injectors. After the injectors were replaced, no noise and the engine is running much more smoothly.

BTW, they did not charge me for the repair. They said it was covered by the emissions extended warranty. Bonus! I was really worried it was going to cost me a bundle to repair since I had heard (many times) that VW would only cover repairs when there was a check engine light or code produced. In my case, no check engine light and no codes were found.
I'm having the EXACT same issue!

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
bimmerjoe and bboshort, Did you have any Re-Programming due to the cheat modification? I did and we recognized the same thing two yeas ago, directly after flashing the cheat fix. Mine has still to be resolved. Only happens when it has sat cold for a while, not anything above 5 C (40F). I got the exact same BS about dirty fuel and use Shell, Ha. I changed filters every 20K Miles (30K km)

bimmerjoe

TDI
2009 jetta highline
bimmerjoe and bboshort, Did you have any Re-Programming due to the cheat modification? I did and we recognized the same thing two yeas ago, directly after flashing the cheat fix. Mine has still to be resolved. Only happens when it has sat cold for a while, not anything above 5 C (40F). I got the exact same BS about dirty fuel and use Shell, Ha. I changed filters every 20K Miles (30K km)
Bought the car January not my first 2.0tdi
It started doing this around june/july

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
OK, confirmed, it had the Fix flashed into it!
I don't know if it is a bug in the programming. But Individual injectors seem to be a likely cause. Mine happened after the FIX.