RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks to Loki, I successfully updated to the new version.

I'm curious on a few things though:

1. 7994 (V5.2) is a reorganized version of 7870 (V5), but both has same content. How about 7963? Does this version have the same structure as 7870 or the database structure of reorganized 7994 (ie improved access...)?

2. If I decided to move back to V5.2, will the system allow me to install an older version? or it is not backward compatible?
I know 7994 is different than 7870, supposedly to improve indexing. The Data doesn't change in location, just how the 510 looks for it.

I will look a little closer at the 7963 index in comparison to 7994, and see if it matters. My 7963 runs just fine with 4366, so I am not willing to load 7994 at this time.

As far as installing, the 510 doesn't look at newer or older, just different. If you have 7963 loaded, and put the 7963 disc in, you will not get a prompt. If you have 7994 loaded, and put the 7994 disc in you will not get a prompt. If you put a disc in different than what you have loaded you will get the prompt to install, either older or newer.

Clear as mud?

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Again, I will say this one more time. If you have 4366 loaded and your unit continues to reboot/hangup, then you have a faulty unit.
In case you missed what WHMjr said
Thanks, but I've complained a bunch, including with VW Consumer Relations. Thus far, I've found that VW and the dealer frankly don't seem to give a hoot about their customers in any possible way.
To be fair, I think he knows he has a "bad" unit.

I'm glad you listed the lunch list of "updates and/or fixes" VW has tried to distro, but really? Do we need a half dozen different head units on the street that all require different versions of disc's to fix a problem? And it depends on if your unit was installed between 2pm and 8:45 pm on the 2nd Tuesday of the odd month, the disc you try to load might brick it (if it's the wrong disc)? That's pretty much what it's come to IMO. At least VW sent out a disc so I will give them hats off for that. I've had my 2011 Town&Country since new and Chrysler hasn't sent me diddly squat (well, they do send me notices to come in and get my tranny flashed every once in awhile :rolleyes:) But I think some of us look at these updates as a mine field and take a chance to fix/update something that should have been addressed LONG LONG ago. :(

Thanks for your list but as far as the gripping goes, did you REALLY think it wouldn't happen? Just sayin ;)

Oh, and by the way.. I did do my update. Took over 2 hours. Don't have the disk with me so not sure what "version" it was or what radio RNS510 is in my car. All I know is it's still stalls if you press too many buttons at once. It's like yelling squirrel while a hunter is trying to order from McDonald drive through.

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Seems to be a few flaky ones, I would say about 10 so far that the 24Hr setting helps with.
Understood - my point being that is not a 'hard' requirement, and we don't know how it is related, other than apparently having been seen 10 times or so . . .

- Tim

paxsman

TDI
Passat TDI SEL 2013
On a positive note...I have successfully installed the 4366 Firmware with the 7963 map. I can now say (after testing) the difference between the original 3696 firmware and the 4366 firmware is a substantial improvement. The responsiveness is night and day. I can't honestly say if the newer map version has made much difference at this point as I have only had it for a few days. Time will tell but the first impressions are good.
The installation process was simple and the directions that were included were spot on. You will need a few hours to complete the project but this is time well spent. I was also successful with installing the VIM vehicle in motion crack as well. Don't think it will be much use to me but my son sure does appreciate it.

So in closing let me say thanks to LokiWolf for your help and efforts. It is certainly people like you that help this world spin just a little smother.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
In case you missed what WHMjr said To be fair, I think he knows he has a "bad" unit.

I'm glad you listed the lunch list of "updates and/or fixes" VW has tried to distro, but really? Do we need a half dozen different head units on the street that all require different versions of disc's to fix a problem? And it depends on if your unit was installed between 2pm and 8:45 pm on the 2nd Tuesday of the odd month, the disc you try to load might brick it (if it's the wrong disc)? That's pretty much what it's come to IMO. At least VW sent out a disc so I will give them hats off for that. I've had my 2011 Town&Country since new and Chrysler hasn't sent me diddly squat (well, they do send me notices to come in and get my tranny flashed every once in awhile :rolleyes:) But I think some of us look at these updates as a mine field and take a chance to fix/update something that should have been addressed LONG LONG ago. :(

Thanks for your list but as far as the gripping goes, did you REALLY think it wouldn't happen? Just sayin ;)

Oh, and by the way.. I did do my update. Took over 2 hours. Don't have the disk with me so not sure what "version" it was or what radio RNS510 is in my car. All I know is it's still stalls if you press too many buttons at once. It's like yelling squirrel while a hunter is trying to order from McDonald drive through.
WHMJr and I have taken the conversation over to PM, he has apologized to me, and I to him for the direction the posts went. We are done discussing that. I read EVERY one of his posts more than once. I know exactly what he said and didn't say. We have moved on, how about you?

Take the energy ya'll are directing on this forum complaining and direct it at VW. WHMJr has done just that, hence why he and his dealer are discussing buyback. I AM TRYING TO HELP. Complaining about it on this forum in this thread, will do little to no good. On their FB page, calling the VW service line(Not Dealer), and sending e-mails to VW customer service would be a better utilization of your time if you actually wanted to do something about it.

The disc VW sent out is next to useless. It might make a SMALL improvement in the unit, but only during NAV functions, not general use of the radio. You have a 2013, so you had 3696 Firmware, and 7870 Maps. Now you still have 3696 Firmware, and 7994 Maps. You wasted 2 hours. You could have done the 4366 firmware update, and 7963 Map update in that same time, and actually fixed some of the issues, and had a year newer Map data.

das_dub

TDI
2002 Jetta, 2013 Passat SEL, (2006 New Beetle -gasser)
Installed FW 4366 on first try with no issues with clock in 12 hour mode. Saw similar "improvements" after update as noted in earlier threads. Still running maps 7994, look to change to 7963 this weekend.

Whitecloud1

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Mk4 w/ 250K+ . 2013 Passat SEL 45K+
Ran the update last week and it took about 3+ hrs. I had one of the early 2013s with the 510. There really hasn't been any real change in the speed.

I did notice the book that came with the CD talked about having topographic info instead of weather but nothing seemed to change on the unit itself.
Called the help number at VW and they didn't know anything about it but it was a call center.......they're always the last to know.

Tim

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
I did notice the book that came with the CD talked about having topographic info instead of weather but nothing seemed to change on the unit itself.
Called the help number at VW and they didn't know anything about it but it was a call center.......they're always the last to know.

Tim
Hmm... i am installing 5.2 as we speak just to see it the topographic function really works...
also i put the pages mentioning it on flickr for lokiwolf or anyone else interested to see
perhaps this will appear in a future FW update?
Source:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5499/10074689704_70bc464fc2_o.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5539/10074725226_a8d69d608f_o.jpg

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi
Ran the update last week and it took about 3+ hrs. I had one of the early 2013s with the 510. There really hasn't been any real change in the speed.

Tim
Which update did you install? Map or firmware?

Eric

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
crystal!

i love the auto zoom feature on the map. but i noticed since the update, it disengaged itself twice already.

not a big deal, just an observation...
Yeah, mine did that on V5.0(7870) and it does it on V6(7963), but it appears to do it less. I did 7963 and 4366 at the same time, so hard to seperate.

I think the flakiness there seems to be more Firmware related and less map data related.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Understood - my point being that is not a 'hard' requirement, and we don't know how it is related, other than apparently having been seen 10 times or so . . .

- Tim
Never said it was a hard requirement. That's why I listed it as a troubleshooting tip.

My update would just not proceed unless the radio was set to 24hr mode. No clue why. Obviously I am not alone with that issue, so it's helpful to list.

panther_v

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
VWoA called me today...

I sent them an email last week about how slow the RNS510 is. I'm surprised to receive a call from them today. It's just a courtesy call and they want to make sure that my problem is addressed.

They're asking me to bring my car to the dealer so there is a documentation of the problem. They're also sending my complaint to their internal departments for further investigation.

My question is...

I installed the goodies from Loki. How is that going to affect me if I bring the car back and they finding out the s/w and map version are not what they're expecting?

Thanks in advance.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I sent them an email last week about how slow the RNS510 is. I'm surprised to receive a call from them today. It's just a courtesy call and they want to make sure that my problem is addressed.
They're asking me to bring my car to the dealer so there is a documentation of the problem. They're also sending my complaint to their internal departments for further investigation.
My question is...
I installed the goodies from Loki. How is that going to affect me if I bring the car back and they finding out the s/w and map version are not what they're expecting?
Thanks in advance.
$10 says the dealer doesn't even know how to check what version the software is....or what firmware even is in general.

Novice2

TDI
passat tdisel 2013
Thank You

Thank you for your due diligence in compiling this information. Do you think it is worth the time and expense to purchase the 7963 Map data? Thanks again for your time.

panther_v

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Have you all tried voice control on the RNS510? I noticed after the 4366 upgrade, it recognizes the names in phone book much better than the old version.

eshawger

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
V6 version 7963 is the best.

Thank you for your due diligence in compiling this information. Do you think it is worth the time and expense to purchase the 7963 Map data? Thanks again for your time.
Definitely worth the effort! New roads have been updated, and many points of interest have been added and others deleted.

This is the map update that the new 2014's are delivered with.

PM LokiWolf for help.

Eric

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Have you all tried voice control on the RNS510? I noticed after the 4366 upgrade, it recognizes the names in phone book much better than the old version.
Yes I have noticed! Because of my Job, my Contact list is ridiculously long, and I don't fight with it as much as I used to.

Earcraft

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
I have to agree, 4366 has helped allot... Thanks LokiWolf.

As warned, the V6 maps (i think) are failing to load. Not sure since when I hit the eject button, I get the warning about ejecting but it shows that the maps are still downloading and the gas gauge keeps running, gets to the end, and starts over. I'm about 5hrs in with a few car turn-offs and starts. My commute is 1 1/2hrs so the process has had time.

Should I let it keep going or eject and take my lumps? Would the 3 finger reboot be worth a try?

Also... I have Kessy and I don't know how to keep the download going with the engine off. I can start the radio with the car off and it continues for a few minutes then shuts off...

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I have to agree, 4366 has helped allot... Thanks LokiWolf.

As warned, the V6 maps (i think) are failing to load. Not sure since when I hit the eject button, I get the warning about ejecting but it shows that the maps are still downloading and the gas gauge keeps running, gets to the end, and starts over. I'm about 5hrs in with a few car turn-offs and starts. My commute is 1 1/2hrs so the process has had time.

Should I let it keep going or eject and take my lumps? Would the 3 finger reboot be worth a try?

Also... I have Kessy and I don't know how to keep the download going with the engine off. I can start the radio with the car off and it continues for a few minutes then shuts off...
Eject the disc, 3 finger it twice then put the disc in. If it doesn't work that time, load the disc from VW.

Earcraft

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
Had good travel time today so I ejected did the reboot twice with 5 min in between. 2 more hours on the road and about 40 min in the garage (car off door open)... Nuthin...

I burned the map file again, but this time on my work MacBookPro. As with the first disc, I used Apple DiskUtility on 2.4x (Memorex DVD+R DL). It took 10 minutes for the new disk to complete the install. The disks or burners were the weak link in my case.

Thanks again LokiWolf... A little something coming your way...

Whitecloud1

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Mk4 w/ 250K+ . 2013 Passat SEL 45K+
Which update did you install? Map or firmware?

Eric

Sorry, just getting back to the computer after being out this weekend. Yes, as LokiWolf said, it was just the map update.
The system is still painfully slow. I think it updated a few of the recent road changes in our area and will have to check into it more tomorrow when i'm on the road. LokiWolf, you have been in the middle and getting all of the answers. You sir, are a great help!

Last edited:

Volcombug

TDI
2013 VW Passat SEL TDI
I might have missed it when scrolling through everything. I want to know how to get VIM so my son can watch things on trips or long rides. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I might have missed it when scrolling through everything. I want to know how to get VIM so my son can watch things on trips or long rides. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
You can PM Lokiwolf and he'll send the firmware and VIM update and map links.

I am just going to use the firmware and VIM fixes and not the maps because I'm too damn stupid to figure out how to break up the 7 gigs of map info into two DVDs to transfer it to my unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.