40K service checklist

Fingers302

TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
I just purchased a used 2013 SEL with DSG. Dealer quoted $680 for full service. I'm brand new to diesel cars and this forum. First post. Looking forward to all the information and money saving tips/advice from the site.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I just purchased a used 2013 SEL with DSG. Dealer quoted $680 for full service. I'm brand new to diesel cars and this forum. First post. Looking forward to all the information and money saving tips/advice from the site.
Are you talking about the 40K w/ DSG service? If so, that is well within the 'ballpark' of dealer prices discussed in this and other threads. The only way to realize significant savings is to do it yourself, or try to perhaps find an indie who knows what they're doing. And I italicized the last part of that sentence for good reason. If they're not experienced diesel mechanics, and this type of car specifically, it's risky.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Just knocked out all the 40k stuff on mine. I went with the dealer (Winner, Dover DE) for the DSG service to the tune of $349 out the door. The rest I did myself for $112 ($40 for 4.5 quarts Pennzoil Ultra Euro-L, $40 fuel filter, $20 cabin filter, $12 oil filter).

Be careful putting in the new cabin filter in cold weather. It's tight quarters under the dash and the frame of the filter will snap if bent any more than slightly. I proved it.

My advice for the fuel filter is to completely surround the filter housing with shop towels. There will inevitably be a few drops of diesel spilled when you break the lid loose. No need to disconnect any fuel hoses like on the older model TDIs. Slowly pull the old filter out having a rag or plastic bag ready to put it in. Visually inspect inside of canister. I basted out all fuel at 20k and wiped inside dry. In retrospect, that was overkill. For 40k, I saw that it looked great so I left it filled with fuel and just slowly sunk the new filter in. Torque the lid back on and then run this test in VCDS to bleed any air remaining in the housing:

Fuel Pump Basic Settings

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Choose the Transfer Fuel Pump (FP) test from the drop down menu followed by [Go!] to activate the Basic Setting. The EDC should display "Running" and the electric fuel pump will run. After the result of Finished Correctly appears click [Stop].

Last edited:

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hum, just had my 30K done and got the quote for the 40k... $850+ (~450 for the normal service and ~400 for the DSG) for the 40k service and the DSG service. Might have to drive home to slower DE to get that DSG service Blue_Hen got.

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
I received a coupon for 10% off of the 40k service, so mine ended up being $611 with tax. Still expensive, but pretty reasonable compared to what most are posting on here.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
So it would have been over $700, with taxes etc. Ouch ! The parts are $120-ish, oil included - I guess they charge for 6-7 hours of labor ?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So it would have been over $700, with taxes etc. Ouch ! The parts are $120-ish, oil included - I guess they charge for 6-7 hours of labor ?
Yes- and the lion's share of that labor goes into the ridiculous lashup that is the VW DSG oil change procedure. It's nonsense, designed by armchair engineers without the slightest consideration for maintenance costs.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Ain't aces car an se - wo the dsg ?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

StoneCrab

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Just had my 40k service done today. Total with tax was $575. I had a 15% coupon from the dealer so it brought it down to $495. Still seems likes a lot, but better than other places. Work order says 1.3 hours for the oil, fuel filter, pollen filter change. 1.5 hours for the DSG fluid and filter.

5 units (quarts?) of DSG gear oil at $24.27/unit = $121.35. Is it made from unicorn blood?

MadCat

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I'm having the 30k maintenance done on my 2013 Passat (SEL, DSG) this morning. The service rep gave me heads-up on the 40k maint

$710
(Day Vw/ Audi Pittsburgh)

Unicorn blood indeed

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I just had my 30k service and asked for estimate for 40k. $750 for 40k + $400 for DSG = $1150. I'll find an alternate in the next 8 months.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Unborn Corithian unicorn blood O-negative. Raised in certified german reserves with no barbed wire, organic only.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I just got a quote from one dealer I frequent. $857.00 for the 40k+Dsg service.

He mentioned how to get a 15% discount but ugh hoping I can still find it cheaper than that at another dealer.

I have another month or so.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I just got a quote from one dealer I frequent. $857.00 for the 40k+Dsg service.

He mentioned how to get a 15% discount but ugh hoping I can still find it cheaper than that at another dealer.

I have another month or so.
Some of the service you can easily do yourself; chaning cabin and engine air filter. Check local dealer websites for service coupons. I found one for 15% off any service and had that dealer service my DSG transmission. Clossest guro to me is 2 hours away, so not practical for me.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, did mine using the warm and dry weather we had today here in nj.

The plastic engine cover is friction fit, lifts right up, no tools required.

2012 takes 4.3L of VW-507 spec oil .

Use plenty of paper towels to mask and protect against the spills during the service.

I use plastic Rhino ramps for a number of years and a whole range of different cars, highly recommended.

To my surprise, oil filter came out very easily. The service crew at the dealer had already moved the wiring harness out of the way during the previous changes. All I had to do was tilt the filter a bit to the right and it came right out.

When doing visual inspection of the replacement filter it might look slightly different from the old one, there is a reason for it - paper on the bottom of the filter gets pushed in around the inner hole when it is inserted into the housing.

The bottom pan had 3 rear screws missing... Another reason to service your car yourself. What size are these ? I now need to acquire the replacements.

When putting new filter in, I placed the paper element into the housing first and then installed the top part. Don't forget to replace all 3 o rings. Lubricate all of them generously with fresh oil, especially the big one.

Fuel filter was a piece of cake. I removed the old one, SLOWLY, making sure I let most of the fuel drip back into the housing.

Then I SLOWLY sunk the new filter in. She started with may be 4 second hesitation. I do have a vcds, but didn't have to use it to prime the filter.

Did the air filters too, real easy stuff.

Yet to pour the DEF in, will do it tomorrow. Got "Peak DEF" at local auto parts store, 12 bux for what seems to be 2 gallons. I guess these are all the same.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
The bottom pan had 3 rear screws missing... Another reason to service your car yourself. What size are these ? I now need to acquire the replacements.
from partsbase.org: N 90735604 hexagon socket head bolt with. hexagon socket head bolt with; shoulder; M7X28

When I dropped my oil pan to install the oil sensor, I was surprised by the number of 'barely' torqued bolts I came across. When yours came out, they were probably still on the splash shield, which you dealer dumped on the prior service. Always best to do your own servicing.

Robsride2

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
My dealer charges 302.27 for the 40K on the 6MT. They gave me the pricing when I had the 30K service done.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Stonecrab, any chance you could post a copy of the receipt for the 40k service with DSG? My dealer wants 856 to do it but said they would match any other vw dealer so I would like to bring a copy in to show them.
Thanks Eric

StoneCrab

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Stonecrab, any chance you could post a copy of the receipt for the 40k service with DSG? My dealer wants 856 to do it but said they would match any other vw dealer so I would like to bring a copy in to show them.
Thanks Eric
I'd be happy to but don't want to post personal info. And I bet they wouldn't accept a partial or redacted copy. I did have a 15% off coupon which they applied to the whole service too. I have been very happy with my dealer's service department. I think the DSG service is too expensive but that isn't the dealer's fault. PM me for more info...

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
ok im confused... im still under the 3 year maintenance warranty. from reading on this thread it seems that the dsg service is out of your own pocket? why isnt the dsg part of the warranty?
Because the first DSG service (at 40k) is after the 'free' maintenance ends (36k up to '13, 24k for a '14).

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
Because the first DSG service (at 40k) is after the 'free' maintenance ends (36k up to '13, 24k for a '14).
Had my 20k today, my dealer is good. I've told them going into the 10K that I would check everything before signing the invoice copy. Haven't seen an errant oil, fuel or Adblue drip, and all levels are perfect. I asked about the 40k/DSG service and was told ~$500! I can live with that. :)

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
$500, and you are okay with that!? You can buy the parts for about $100 and pay yourself $400 for the DIY!

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
My dealer charges 302.27 for the 40K on the 6MT. They gave me the pricing when I had the 30K service done.
I find the concept of "40k" service amazing - last time I got whacked for about $500 and, when I asked what was done, they didn't' even replace all the filters.

You can do all the filter and the oil yourself for under $125, or pay a local shop a VERY generous $100 to do it for you and still save a lot of cash.

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
Had my 20k today, my dealer is good. I've told them going into the 10K that I would check everything before signing the invoice copy. Haven't seen an errant oil, fuel or Adblue drip, and all levels are perfect. I asked about the 40k/DSG service and was told ~$500! I can live with that. :)
$500, and you are okay with that!? You can buy the parts for about $100 and pay yourself $400 for the DIY!

Yes, I am, hone up on your reading skills.
I have faith in people I deal with face to face, not so much some one who solicits me on the internet. :mad:
FWIW, I do have a small business with a website, but I don't make a practice of prostituting myself by jumping into a thread and criticizing someone's choices.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, I am, hone up on your reading skills.
I have faith in people I deal with face to face, not so much some one who solicits me on the internet. :mad:
FWIW, I do have a small business with a website, but I don't make a practice of prostituting myself by jumping into a thread and criticizing someone's choices.
You, sir, are my new idol.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is no doubt time consuming, but I believe it's the way to go when this "free service" runs out. I've been having a hard time rationalizing the purchase of VCDS for personal use, but since we've got a DSG, well, the first time I service it the VCDS will basically be paid for.....