crankshaft position sensor

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Is it not down the front at the at the gear box end? Usually held in with a poxy little bolt that can be got at with a cheapy 9mm ring spanner, the kind with like 12 points in the ring and not hex.

Not 100% sure on the BEW though

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Front, right side of the block, facing it. A 9 mm 12-point socket loosens it IIRC.

--Nate

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
wire goes down from center of block just below the head by the oil filter housing. Held in with 1 9mm 12 point bolt (cap screw)

Its the gray connector in the pic link below

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
FWIW The camshaft has a position sensor; the crankshaft has a engine speed sensor.
Well kinda. The crank sensor does sense speed, but is indexed to crankshaft position in relation to TDC.

I think your point is that what stroke you are on can't be determined from the crank sensor.

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Well kinda. The crank sensor does sense speed, but is indexed to crankshaft position in relation to TDC.

I think your point is that what stroke you are on can't be determined from the crank sensor.
When you look in Vagcom at engine speed; this is the sensor that tells the ECU that piece of information. When you are at idle speed; this input (engine speed) is what the ECU will adjust the fuel injection to maintain the desired idle RPM. If this signal isn't there (or if it faulters intermittently like mine did); the car just turns off as if you did it with the key. I'm not so sure if this sensor on the BEW engines reports anything having to do with crankshaft position. The camshaft has a position sensor & the setup for knowing camshaft position is quite different.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Pumpjet engine speed sensor tone wheels have an index mark for syncing and fast starting. VE-EDC have 1 equal sized notch per cylinder and use the #3 injector lift sensor and the basic setting (assumed crank position) to sync injection.

It doesn't matter what you call it. Even nonindexed engines recover position information from the CKP (the top of each stroke), with the start of cycle being determined by an assumption combined with another input (#3 NLS).

Skullbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen
CPK code

Hey double dee, just had a stall the other day with a CPK trouble code. Did you end up replacing yours? Any problems? Go OEM?

indysoto

Veteran Member
This sensor could lead to a no start?

Fried these wires when my alh engine caught fire due to a broken return line, I think my engine shut down when this fried, and will not start, part is on order. Assuming this tells the IP when to inject?