TURBO: 2012-2014 Passat turbo failures [discussion thread]

PassatDriver

TDI
2012 Passat SE 6MT
After calling the SA to inquire why he thougt it was an electronic problem but the paperwork read as follows:

Code P029900 ran test plan check turbo charger. Test plan failed. Hard rattling from turbo. Turbine shaft broke excessive play in exhaust. Removed turnin pressure pipe found oil building up in the bottom of cooler. Talked to tec. He agreed on turbo. Replaced turbo charge and reran test plan vehicle passed test plan.

After two days of waiting for an answer from the SA, and another call to the service manager, the SA called me to say that originally he thought it was an electronic problem, but when the tech took the turbo off, he found that the shaft was leaking from the bearings and there was oil in the cooler. Interesting how the paperwork says nothing about an electronic problem. I guess the tech and the SA don't talk to each other, or the SA doesn't read the paperwork.

The SA was somewhat reserved during the conversation. I don't know if that was because I called the service manager when I did not hear from him for 2 days after asking him to give me the real story, or that he was holding something back.

They standa behind the explanation that it was a defective part, no driver error or abuse, and it should not happen again.

Mbmaring

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black
After calling the SA to inquire why he thougt it was an electronic problem but the paperwork read as follows:

Code P029900 ran test plan check turbo charger. Test plan failed. Hard rattling from turbo. Turbine shaft broke excessive play in exhaust. Removed turnin pressure pipe found oil building up in the bottom of cooler. Talked to tec. He agreed on turbo. Replaced turbo charge and reran test plan vehicle passed test plan.

After two days of waiting for an answer from the SA, and another call to the service manager, the SA called me to say that originally he thought it was an electronic problem, but when the tech took the turbo off, he found that the shaft was leaking from the bearings and there was oil in the cooler. Interesting how the paperwork says nothing about an electronic problem. I guess the tech and the SA don't talk to each other, or the SA doesn't read the paperwork.

The SA was somewhat reserved during the conversation. I don't know if that was because I called the service manager when I did not hear from him for 2 days after asking him to give me the real story, or that he was holding something back.

They standa behind the explanation that it was a defective part, no driver error or abuse, and it should not happen again.
I would be a little concerned of any contaminants in the oil and or intake of the motor. Maybe you should ask them to change the oil for you after you drive a few hundred miles with the new turbo to make sure the oiling system is free from contaminants of the old turbo

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
**Turbo failure discussion thread** NMS Passat

Started up my 2012 tonight around 12 degrees. Got about 2 miles from home under easy acceleration before i had a sudden loss of power and a loud squealing sound that increased with throttle request. I havent investigated it yet since i had to get to work but I was able to limp it home. No check engine light so far. Im thinking a possible split boot in the intercooler piping but was wondering if anyone else has encountered this.

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
"Loss of power" is something I never want to hear about from these new cars. I'm not the expert but from what I've read before on this site, the problem may be related to the turbo. Intercooler piping is related to the turbo, but I can't believe it wouldn't be designed to handle the extreme cold, since they are selling these in Canada.

14F this morning when I started my Passat in Maryland. Only 5 seconds before the glow plugs were ready and fired up on the first try. Me like that! My engineering mind was thinking how long it was going to take to thaw the urea. I eventually heard some thumps with the sloshing in that tank later in my commute.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
While I park inside a garage at home that is still in the 35-40 degree range, at work this week when I leave it has been in the 10 degree range. Also, my wife drove my Passat around yesterday morning, start in garage, drive in 0 to -5 degree F temps. No problems except the poorer FE.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Any loss of boost the ECU didn't call for, will toss a CEL.

Any "limp mode" will cause a CEL

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It doesn't really sound like intercooler icing, that usually ends in a no start situation and is somewhat related to big outside temp differences like going from -15 to 35. Take a look at this: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302863
It is definitely NOT intercooler icing. Passats have air-to-water intercoolers that eliminate that problem.

Based on your description I'm going with a blown/seized/failed turbocharger bearing. This used to happen a lot on PowerStroke 6.0s that were driven under too much load while the engine was still cold (they would snap the shaft right in half) - not saying this is why yours failed, but it's why I let the engine run for a minute or three before driving off when it's really cold out.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
You need to read codes then come back here. See if someone around your area has VCDS.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Jettas, Golfs, Sportwagens, Beetles, and Audi A3s all have the same/similar setup.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You need to read codes then come back here. See if someone around your area has VCDS.
Whatever you do, don't start the engine again until you know what's going on. A potentially failed turbo could blow oil through your engine and cause major damage. Procede with caution.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Whatever you do, don't start the engine again until you know what's going on. A potentially failed turbo could blow oil through your engine and cause major damage. Procede with caution.
Well ,he can try to start again, it could be fix itself. Something ECU got wrong data so it's going to limp mode. It could tranny, turbo, ignition, fuel system (famous high pressure pump).
Did you try to restart?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Are you going to pay for the damage if his car runs away and/or hydrolocks because he took your advice to restart it?

Proper troubleshooting techniques would dictate that you rule out the catastrophic failure options FIRST.

I hope it's just a split intercooler or a loose boot or something... look around and see what you can find.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Are you going to pay for the damage if his car runs away and/or hydrolocks because he took your advice to restart it?

Proper troubleshooting techniques would dictate that you rule out the catastrophic failure options FIRST.
This is really amazing how you do think you are absolute and your opinion is right one only! You have knowledge but you are not only one. Would you try to shut down the car right the way, wait a minute or two, look under hood and try to restart?

I'm aircraft tech with 10 years experience, worked on big jets. But now quit this business since union killed this industry, as career. Now as bunch clowns like ..., they know everything but don't want read and try to learn.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Started the engine this morning to try and listen for air leaks going off of last nights squealing sound. Today there was a metallic grinding and I shut it down. the glow plug light flashed constantly. (no dash lights on the drive last night when it lost power. ) Vcds says p050e exhaust temp too low after cold start. P0299 boost pressure regulation control range not reached and p20ee SCR nox bank 1 efficiency too low. Called vw roadside assistance and had it towed to the nearest dealer.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
phlfly said:
This is really amazing how you do think you are absolute and your opinion is right one only! You have knowledge but you are not only one. Would you try to shut down the car right the way, wait a minute or two, look under hood and try to restart?

I'm aircraft tech with 10 years experience, worked on big jets. But now quit this business since union killed this industry, as career. Now as bunch clowns like ..., they know everything but don't want read and try to learn.
I'm not saying my opinion is the only right one, I'm saying that an intelligent decision would be to rule-out catastrophic issues before just starting the engine and praying. :rolleyes:

Chill out!

Also, claiming that you're an aircraft tech carries zero weight in my book. We've had several aircraft mechanics/technicians on this forum who didn't know their heads from holes in the ground. As you said, clown-like and didn't want to read or learn.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Started the engine this morning to try and listen for air leaks going off of last nights squealing sound. Today there was a metallic grinding and I shut it down. the glow plug light flashed constantly. (no dash lights on the drive last night when it lost power. ) Vcds says p050e exhaust temp too low after cold start. P0299 boost pressure regulation control range not reached and p20ee SCR nox bank 1 efficiency too low. Called vw roadside assistance and had it towed to the nearest dealer.
All of those codes point to a failed turbocharger.

Boost pressure regulation is obvious, exhaust temp too low is because it can't build boost, SCR efficiency low because it can't build boost and therefore can't build heat to make the SCR system work.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I'm not saying my opinion is the only right one, I'm saying that an intelligent decision would be to rule-out catastrophic issues before just starting the engine and praying. :rolleyes:

Chill out!

Also, claiming that you're an aircraft tech carries zero weight in my book. We've had several aircraft mechanics/technicians on this forum who didn't know their heads from holes in the ground. As you said, clown-like and didn't want to read or learn.
Agree, a lot them clueless. This is one of reasons I decided to find something else, I did not want to be one without fingers or arm, because people don't pay attention, whom does what when the proper flags are displayed.

I'm not say I know a lot about VW TDi and turbo system, I might understand the system, but this is reason I'm here to read about this and getting more information. I'm just say from bimmer forum, since they had 535 turbo, such problem like a loss power a lot to do with ECU/DME computer reading, tranny, ignition and ect, I didn't see a lot problems with turbo itself, but VW could different.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
All of those codes point to a failed turbocharger.

Boost pressure regulation is obvious, exhaust temp too low is because it can't build boost, SCR efficiency low because it can't build boost and therefore can't build heat to make the SCR system work.
This is bad. I thought turbo problem was sort it out on VW cars.

How many miles on car?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Despite looking fairly simple, turbos are actually pretty complex in their operation and have very tight manufacturing tolerances. Even a slight imbalance can result in a catastrophic failure.

Also keep in mind that new turbos develop a lot of boost pressure very quickly - compared to older turbos that were lazier. This will create more stress on the unit, particularly when the engine is cold.

767wrench states that he was driving gently, so I don't think this failure is due to any abuse on his part, but even when driven gently, the turbo can actually end up working very hard in order to maximize engine efficiency and clean emissions.

Also, no offense intended to 767wrench in my earlier aircraft mechanic statements. :eek:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
not saying this is why yours failed, but it's why I let the engine run for a minute or three before driving off when it's really cold out.
This advice is contrary to the Owners Manual, FWIW. ;)

Definately sounds like turbo failure to me. Good luck and please keep us updated.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
After having flipped through the owner's manual, all I will say is that it is riddled with misinformation and conflicting information. Certainly not the type of quality material that can be found in the manual for my 1987 Mercedes. :D

Regardless, I think psd1 is making a funny. ;)

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
what are you referring to in the owners manual? :confused:
The part that says it's best to start the car and drive off and that idling is a no no.

After having flipped through the owner's manual, all I will say is that it is riddled with misinformation and conflicting information. Certainly not the type of quality material that can be found in the manual for my 1987 Mercedes. :D

Regardless, I think psd1 is making a funny. ;)
I agree with your assessment of the manual, funny thing is that the manual directly disputes your 1-3 minute idle info. :)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)

...uhmm...gee...a few weeks ago, you claimed you had 6 years aircraft tech experience. How did you earn 4 more years so quickly?

Your credibility here is ...well...not very good. Compounding this is your slamming the TDIClub "elitists" over at VWVortex.

...not good...Please stop arguing with everyone here... Take your own advice: Read, and try to learn...

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I think it's bad for any engine to floor it. I remember on my bimmers, rpm redline would adjusted while engine is warming up. So it would start low as around 4,000 rmp max, then will progress while driving. So I guess thumb rule is the cold car should not exceed 4,000 rmp. Which is easy on Passat TDi car, as I observed, it will go easy to 4,000 rmp.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Please... stop... comparing... your... Passat... to... a... BMW... 550...

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Please... stop... comparing... your... Passat... to... a... BMW... 550...
I don't compare or show to be smart. I wanted to tell how more advance cars (manufactures) resolving this issues. btw it's not just a 550, there are all bimmer do that. Im sharing the technologies, it's car forum. Maybe next Passat generation will adopt this, since VW reps are reading these forums.

Mbmaring

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black
Oh no not another turbo keep us updated! Mine went out at a little over 9000 miles still waiting for the paperwork on what they did. I wonder if they have any turbos in the us