TURBO: 2012-2014 Passat turbo failures [discussion thread]

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I want a turbo timer - don't let it shut down until it's under 450F. Babysitting it when you're late for work is annoying.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
My usual policy on the freeway or in the mountains is that when I come into the exit/rest area I decelerate in "overrun" (in gear, no throttle) all the way down into the pull-off, down-shifting as required to keep the engine pumping air with no fuel being injected. That cools the turbo pretty good. Then, once I get into the parking spot I'll let it idle for a couple of minutes before shutting it off. Ditto if I'm driving "spirited" on back roads or something; around town I don't worry about it.

I don't have an EGT gauge on my Jetta; when I had my diesel boat my policy was not to shut down (except in emergencies) until EGTs were under 400F; I had pyrometers on her. It took several minutes (typically 5 or so) for that to happen coming off "fast cruise" power (on a boat "fast cruise" is typically 75% output or thereabouts.) Same deal in that case as we have on these cars; those were Air Research turbos and oil-cooled, no water jacket.

The 6v92 Detroits I had in my boat had a reputation for "eating" turbos; I wound up replacing two of four within a year of buying it (used) but over my years of ownership never changed another one. I suspect the reason why was that I never shut them down hot and thus never coked 'em. If you don't allow a turbo to get into surge, don't coke the oil, don't overspeed it and it doesn't ingest anything solid they last a very, very long time.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Twin 6v92s at cruising speed must sound awesome. :D

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
They're loud. Entry to the engine room without muffs when they're spooled up is not recommended.

I love the sound of Detroits though.... nothing like 'em.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
LOL! Drive more worry less. 4 TDI's since 2000, 350K miles combined, never had turbo failure. Never let turbo cool down.

I was warned in 2000 by Ford Powerstroke drivers that you MUST allow a turbo on a diesel cool down before turning off the key.

I have NEVER done this and have never had an issue.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Hopefully your luck will continue with this one! Beware the regen - that's all I have to say.

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
How much boost does a stock 2012/2013 Passat TDI run? Just curious. Someone's got to know that by now.

Also, what kind of turbo does it use?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Borg Warner BV40. Just under 25 PSI. Max boost can be attained at around 1500 RPM.

Jetta/Golf/Beetle has a BV43, which is slightly larger. Passat is more responsive and has more torque off the line, with less top end power as a trade off. The entire power band is shifted about 500 sooner in the Passat.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Alright, so 34 post and one defective turbo other than my friend's.

Will be interesting to see if there is a problem with the 2013 Passat turbos.

To recap, one at 1000 miles and the other at 3000 miles. Yes, sounds like a manufacturing defect.

Time will tell.

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Borg Warner BV40. Just under 25 PSI. Max boost can be attained at around 1500 RPM.

Jetta/Golf/Beetle has a BV43, which is slightly larger. Passat is more responsive and has more torque off the line, with less top end power as a trade off. The entire power band is shifted about 500 sooner in the Passat.
Thank you! Been wondering about this.

Lspeed1983

TDI
2012 golf tdi 6M 3dr (base)
Blown tubos shouldn't be an issue on the TDIs. The TDIs use low pressure turbos. Go to a WRX forums and I'm sure they are filled with blown turbo posts.

Not a problem on the Golfs, JSWs, or Jettas. I agree the problem sounds like a manufacturing defect, but it's too early to tell just yet.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Blown tubos shouldn't be an issue on the TDIs. The TDIs use low pressure turbos. Go to a WRX forums and I'm sure they are filled with blown turbo posts.

Not a problem on the Golfs, JSWs, or Jettas. I agree the problem sounds like a manufacturing defect, but it's too early to tell just yet.
You're kidding, right? The current TDIs run almost 25 pounds of boost (PSI) STOCK!!

That's about as far from "low pressure" as you can get in a stock single-turbo vehicle.

Have you even read this discussion or did you just read the thread title and jump in at the end? :confused:

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I want a turbo timer - don't let it shut down until it's under 450F. Babysitting it when you're late for work is annoying.
Wouldn't the turbo air to water intercooler create a thermal siphon after the engine is shutoff?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That cools the intake air, not the exhaust or the bearing housing.

MudDoc

TDI
'13 Passat SE
How do these cars perform regen? Do they have a separate injector located near the DPF or is it through post injection during the exhaust stroke?

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
My turbo died about two weeks ago

About two weeks ago I left my house and drove only about 3 km's (approx. 2 miles) when there was a sudden loss of power. At the same time the glow plug light started to flash. I stopped the car and turned off the ignition and waited a couple of minutes before re-starting. On restarting, I noticed the hazard light had come on. On checking the manual, I learned the car had experienced an engine failure and had gone into safe mode allowing me to drive the car home but at a minimal speed. The car was later towed to the dealer and, after checking it out, I was told the turbo needed to be replaced. The car had about 20,000 km's on it. No one at the dealer would speculate as to what caused the turbo to "seize".

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
About two weeks ago I left my house and drove only about 3 km's (approx. 2 miles) when there was a sudden loss of power. At the same time the glow plug light started to flash. I stopped the car and turned off the ignition and waited a couple of minutes before re-starting. On restarting, I noticed the hazard light had come on. On checking the manual, I learned the car had experienced an engine failure and had gone into safe mode allowing me to drive the car home but at a minimal speed. The car was later towed to the dealer and, after checking it out, I was told the turbo needed to be replaced. The car had about 20,000 km's on it. No one at the dealer would speculate as to what caused the turbo to "seize".
Wrong oil used by dealership? Had the oil been changed between delivery and the failure?

mikeyinpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI SE
Or it could have been "infant mortality". I started engineering in logistics management for the Navy. Most failures occur soon after purchase or near end of design life. My point being that there's always a few bad parts here and there when you build thousands and thousands of a complex product. As long as it doesn't become a significant percentage. If so, it becomes a recall or a service campaign.

AggieFCO

TDI
2012 Passat SE
7800 miles. Been at the dealership for the last two days. Apparently they can't figure out why the turbo won't build enough boost. Not good for a new vehicle that hasn't even made it's first scheduled maintenance.

AggieFCO

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Quick update, what was once thought to be a vacuum problem is not thought to be the rod that controls the variable vanes. No one really knows what's going on so they are calling in a "field engineer" to solve the problem.