Scan Gauge II XGauge - EGT & Boost

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I went on a road trip to Carlisle PA today The P3cars gauge works beautifully.
Boost works great most I saw was 18.1 EGT most I saw was 1250 going up South Mountain! Everything else works great also
LOVE THIS THING!!
Good stuff. Can't wait for the first Passat beta tester to report. That's a great looking device and if it functions as well in the NMS it's a no-brainier purchase for gadget heads. :D

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I went on a road trip to Carlisle PA today The P3cars gauge works beautifully.
Boost works great most I saw was 18.1 EGT most I saw was 1250 going up South Mountain! Everything else works great also
LOVE THIS THING!!
18.1? I thought max boost is around 22-24psi on the cjaa? Maybe their maths slightly off.

Still, if I found the cash in the couch cushions I'd be all over it in a second.

Btw you should disconnect the maf and see how well it pulls codes!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
18.1? I thought max boost is around 22-24psi on the cjaa? Maybe their maths slightly off.

Still, if I found the cash in the couch cushions I'd be all over it in a second.

Btw you should disconnect the maf and see how well it pulls codes!
That was max I saw ......Didnt run it all the way out The Gauge is
sweet!!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Fingers crossed for Xmas!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Experienced a Regen today and observed Temps up to 1500 for 20 minutes until it finally went back to the 500-600 range while cruising this thig is so cool!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Experienced a Regen today and observed Temps up to 1500 for 20 minutes until it finally went back to the 500-600 range while cruising this thig is so cool!
All the more reason to not interrupt it by shutting the engine off! :eek:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Damn, Jettas get hot! Passats regen around 1,100 (according to my SGII).
All the more reason to not interrupt it by shutting the engine off! :eek:
The only regen I have monitored so far only got up to between 1300 and 1400, but that is still quite hot. I see your point VeeDubTDI. I will not be shutting off my car during a regen again unless it is an absolute necessity.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Once the Regen was over......it went down very fast, I saw it as low as 280 2 minutes later slowing down for a light
This was actually my biggest surprise with an EGT gauge - how dynamic is is. It can (and does) go between 300 and 1300 and back again in seconds. However, during a regen, it stays high for 10 minutes or more and this could seriously heat up the turbocharger's hot side parts. These metal parts probably hold the heat for longer that the exhaust gases themselves do.

Have Fun!

Don

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
So what's the verdict on a SGII, will it work on a 2012 TDI Golf (as far as determining when a regen is happening)? Is see tomo366 posted it didn't work with his car)?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Since the Golf has basicaly the same electronics as my Sportwagen, I would say no....the SCII will not work on the Golf for EGT or Boost Function.....The P3cars does! but cost 3 times a much as SCII

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Tom's JSW is also a lot older than your 2012... it might work, but you probably need to test first (or find someone else on the forums who has tested).

-J

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Finally got mine up and running. I had to have them send me a new one since they one I got would not pull up the gagues just kept timing out.

the new one worked like a champ.

Scan Tool by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

that's how I decided to mount mine for now. I am happy with it cords are all but a few inches hidden and it's not visible for most if not all my passengers..

My first observations is the EGT has read anywhere from 250 on warm startup to mid 400's at idle to mid 600's during city driving.

I thought I had been reading you guys were getting down into 300's at idle and that's the temp we should be shooting for? I sat for about 30 seconds in my driveway and it didn't really budge from 440's

?

Anyway I'm just glad it works!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My EGTs usually vary from 400-800 during normal driving, FWIW. On a long highway drive, they usually settle in the high 500s.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
After it drops below 450, it's slow going down to high 300s at idle, depending on accessories running.

450F is my safe shutdown temperature.

Noxid

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I still use my scangauge2 on my steering column, but if anyone has an android device, you can buy the Torque app and it has a ton of gauges available. In addition to the app, you will need to buy a Bluetooth odb2 connector for it to work. The BT adapter I linked to is the one I purchased, and it has worked well for the last 4 months.

I don't have a recent screenshot, but here's an early one from when I was messing with it. Just to give you an idea what it looks like. There's about 80 sensors it can read from, and a bunch of different style gauges. You're not stuck with just digital. And it has a bunch of skins and themes.

Thank you for this post. My Bluetooth OBDII came in the mail today and I watched my torque app on the drive home from work. Very Very Cool!

How do you change the colors of the display?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
For reference, you should see 22 - 25 psi @ full throttle between 1500 and 2500 RPM.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
Just bought a used SCII for my 2012 Golf. I can get a temp reading using the first post on this thread (bank 1, sensor 1), but none of the other three readings (just blank values). If I want to use this to monitor when a regen is occurring, can I use the reading I get from bank 1, sensor 1? I guess what I'm asking is, does the temperature increase significantly when doing a regen among all 4 temp sensors in the exhaust (so in essence it doesn't matter which temperature probe you get a reading from)?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You'll know there's a regen happening when Bank 1 Sensor 1 is above 1000F during normal driving. The other EGT sensors are essentially meaningless to the driver unless you just like having numbers in front of you for fun.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
Is Bank 1 Sensor 1 the pre turbo temperature (guess I could hook up my VCDS and see if it's the same temp as the SCII is showing, but I'll save that for another day)?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Assuming that a Golf is the same as a Passat, yes.

Noxid

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Duke check if your boost goes negative on torque and let me know. Mine seems to operate at a vacume.
This is what mine showed today about as I was leaving the office and getting on to the free way (bumper to bumper with some sprints). I have not seen a -xx (Negative) value displayed.

I don't know if I "am doing it right" either as I am only flying from guess work and assumptions. I have not read an instruction manual and I only know what has been posted in this thread.

I did set up a vehicle profile though and set my air pressure value at 14.69 for my altitude above sea level. I will reset it to zero on my drive in tomorrow, and see what it does.

The pic below are the default gauges that are found when I first started the Torque app. The boost gauge is .... well you will see it.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
How accurate would you guys say the horsepower measurement is?

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How accurate would you guys say the horsepower measurement is?
Seems very low and basically meaningless on mine. I'm not sure I ever saw it top 50 with the pedal mashed. This is going completely from memory. I just remember that it was obviously inaccurate so I stopped monitoring it on my 4-gauge readout.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I've only see HP go up to 120 - not sure of its accuracy.