Scan Gauge II XGauge - EGT & Boost

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I just bought my ScanGauge, so I'm not as up to speed as some others. But, if you take a look at this link, it says that you can monitor four different catalyst temps: http://www.scangauge.com/support/xgauges-for-cansf-vehicles/

I guess the only real way to tell would be to play with a ScanGauge and compare these "catalyst temperatures" with the VCDS readings of the EGT sensors. These catalyst temps may (or may not) directly correspond to TDI EGT sensors. If anyone has a ScanGauge, VCDS, and a CR TDI, this would be interesting to know. I am not going to buy a ScanGauge just to find out if it works.

Have Fun!

Don

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
FWIW, I programmed the code for the second EGT sensor (fahrenheit) into an X Gauge and got no reading.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After watching all four this morning with my VCDS it looks like EGT 3 is the DPF sensor since a regen yielded a consistent 582C, 1079F temp.
According to the "Self Study Guide" (which could be in error). EGT sensor #3 is after the DOC and before the DPF and EGT sensor #4 is after the DPF which should get up to about 1200 degrees F. (600 C.).

Have Fun!

Don

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
According to the "Self Study Guide" (which could be in error). EGT sensor #3 is after the DOC and before the DPF and EGT sensor #4 is after the DPF which should get up to about 1200 degrees F. (600 C.).

Have Fun!

Don
What I actually noted on #4 was a temperature of 487C 908F and consistently lower than the #3. **Edit after re-reviewing the #3 varies a lot while driving. The #4 is pretty stable, either 260C or 500C. I will run it again later today. **

Again, I have log file from VCDS if anyone knows how to share it here and wants to review it.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What I actually noted on #4 was a temperature of 487C 908F and consistently lower than the #3.

Again, I have log file from VCDS if anyone knows how to share it here and wants to review it.

I just noticed that you have a new Passat. The study guide I have is for the CBEA and CJAA engines. It is quite possible that the sensors are different in the CKRA (Passat) engine. I have no technical information on this engine. You could easily be correct about sensor #3 being after the DPF, I just do not know.

Have Fun!

Don

HeAvYfUeL

Veteran Member
TDI
2009, Golf Variant, DSG
So,
I have the Scangauge and a 2009 TDi so, I put in the Xgauge Bank 1, Sensor 1 as suggest in the first post.
Wonderful. Just what I was looking for. But now, I also wanted to see the temperature of my DPF so I can see when a regen is happening.
I'm supposed to have 4 sensors according to the self study guide.
But when I put in Bank 2, Sensor 2 I do not get any reading on the Scangauge.
Now I have changed to Xgauge to Bank 1, Sensor 2 and assume this is the DPF.
Any ideas on which sensor# in the guide is which sensor (Bank#, Sensor#) for the Xgauge?

Thanks in advance.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
based on VWDUBTDI'S suggestion I bought a Scan Gauge II and installed it in my 2010 Jetta Sportwagen with the help of Compu85, it displays nothing in EGT or water Temp......I have tried several times as Did Jason out at the Fest still nothing ! any suggestions??

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
FWIW, I've tried programming x-gauges for all four of the fahrenheit Catalyst Temperature for CANSF vehicles (http://www.scangauge.com/support/xgauges-for-cansf-vehicles/).

I was able to get a reading for Bank 1, Sensor 1, which is what I believe most folks are using for monitoring EGT, and I was also able to get a reading for Bank 1, Sensor 2. I wasn't able to get any data for Bank 2, Sensor 1 or Bank 2, Sensor 2.

What I've noticed in monitoring Bank 1, Sensors 1 and 2 for a couple of days is that they roughly follow the same curve, but with sensor 2 about 30 seconds behind sensor 1, so I assume it's a sensor further downstream in the emission system.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I just noticed that you have a new Passat. The study guide I have is for the CBEA and CJAA engines. It is quite possible that the sensors are different in the CKRA (Passat) engine. I have no technical information on this engine. You could easily be correct about sensor #3 being after the DPF, I just do not know.

Have Fun!

Don
I confirmed on the VCDS this morning during a regen that EGT #3 is the DPF temp. It was a steady 582 Degree C.

And yes, I confirmed increasing the engine RPM's during idle DROPS the temp, requiring MORE post injection durations to achieve the 582 Degrees C.

Also, post injection #3 seems to be active all the time. Post injection #1 and #2 seem associated with the Regen cycle. I logged a trip over the mountains this last week and the Post Injection #3 was always active on heavy acceleration or climbing altitude.

BlownBusa

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE+ DSG
Got it dialed in. Bank 1 sensor 1 is EGT. Bank 2 sensor 1 is DPF on my guage ;) and those are the only 2 that'll work...

Jeremy_

TDI
13 Passat SEL-P
Has anyone tried an Edge Insight to montior the vitals? I believe they display regen aswell...

Just wondering, I was thinking about driving over there to see what they had.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Looks great! Can't wait to hear your feedback once you get it installed. :cool:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They finally finished the tdi version? What'd that take, 2 years?
Almost 2 years. This one is a completely new design. The display is the same but the "brain" is completely new. Instead of trying to rely on OBDII PIDs, it actually reads VW measuring blocks. Boost, EGT, etc comes directly from the ECU. It now actually works correctly.

Have Fun!

Don

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Group buy...group buy...group buy...
Group buy would be great. Will it fit in the Passat vent? Also, will it read the Passat's boost, which is displayed differently from the other cars?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Group buy would be great. Will it fit in the Passat vent? Also, will it read the Passat's boost, which is displayed differently from the other cars?
What do you mean by "displayed differently"? The real question is: Does the Passat's ECU use the same measuring blocks for requested and actual boost? If it uses the EDC17 ECU, the boost measuring blocks should be the same. If this is true it should work on the Passats. Use VCDS and check the measuring blocks. All this device does is read the ECU's measuring blocks and then it converts mBar units into psi. For EGT it reads the ECU's measuring block and converts degrees C to degrees F.

If the Passat's ECU uses different measuring blocks, then this gauge (as it is) will not work correctly. Then the question becomes: Is it worth it to them to create a Passat version of this gauge? All they would have to do is to modify the measuring blocks it reads.

Have Fun!

Don

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I went on a road trip to Carlisle PA today The P3cars gauge works beautifully.
Boost works great most I saw was 18.1 EGT most I saw was 1250 going up South Mountain! Everything else works great also
LOVE THIS THING!!