Scan Gauge II XGauge - EGT & Boost

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
My scan gauge arrived today but it's not loading properly. need to sit down and figure it out. been to busy this weekend so far.:(

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It won't connect unless the computer is powered up.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Or just turn key to ON position. Then plug in to OBDII. Mine I didn't need to have the engine running. The manual is your friend.
On set up. Diesel A for fuel type.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
VWs don't have an accessory key position :confused:

The ScanGauge shuts off it if sees the engine isn't running. Start the car.

-J

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
VWs don't have an accessory key position :confused:

The ScanGauge shuts off it if sees the engine isn't running. Start the car.

-J
I must have a weird SG then. When I installed mine I just turned the key till all the dash lights powered up, the so called on position then plugged in the SG pushed the mode key and it went threw the connecting thing. Connected in about 20 seconds. Then did the set up. :confused:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It will work with KOEO (key on engine off), but it will go to sleep if you stop pressing buttons. It remains awake when it senses an RPM signal. Either way will work, just keep in mind that the ScanGauge may go to sleep if the engine isn't running and you don't press any buttons for a few seconds (20?).

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
It will work with KOEO (key on engine off), but it will go to sleep if you stop pressing buttons. It remains awake when it senses an RPM signal. Either way will work, just keep in mind that the ScanGauge may go to sleep if the engine isn't running and you don't press any buttons for a few seconds (20?).
Thanks Mate. Thought I was losing it there. I must have been a really fast button pusher when I installed it a year or so ago.

sanjaun2

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 2012 Passat TDI
We've gotten a couple questions about how we put EGT on our ScanGauge II, so I'll make a quick post.

I got this information from here: http://www.scangauge.com/support/xgauges-for-cansf-vehicles/

If you scroll down in the list you'll find the section labeled "Catalyst Temp Sensors"

Instead of CTF or CTC, use EGT for the label on the units you prefer.

For information on how to program an X-Gauge, read page 38 on the Owner's Manual here:

http://www.scangauge.com/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=1

Thanks,

-Jason
Thanks for the info on this Jason, Sounded so cool I ran down to autozone and bought one. I went to X-gauge and installed the codes you have above and named them. I then pulled them up on the screen and there is no info displayed next to them. The others like water temp and fuel burn work fine. Any ideas?

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Thanks for the info on this Jason, Sounded so cool I ran down to autozone and bought one. I went to X-gauge and installed the codes you have above and named them. I then pulled them up on the screen and there is no info displayed next to them. The others like water temp and fuel burn work fine. Any ideas?
Did you add it to an open Xguage slot? I put it in slot one and it didn't take. Toggled over and put it in 3 and worked like a charm. I didn't have the book open and just assumed the first slot was reserved.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S

You only need to do one or the other depending if you want *F or *C. Silly question... but are you sure you have all the numbers in correctly :)

-J

sanjaun2

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 2012 Passat TDI
oooops, I added some zero's to the wrong block. went in and edited it and all works great now. Thanks for the great mod idea and the help. Over 5K trouble free miles and smiles so far. Taking a 4K road trip next week,

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Get in the car.
Start the engine.
Plug in the ScanGaugeII. It will start up a few seconds later.
It is still just stuck in the connecting.... and then shuts off.

do you think this has to do with mine being a 2013? is something not programmed to recognize it?

Anyone in here have it working on a 2013 yet? I see in the manual there is a way to "force" the codes to recognize different makes. VW is not mentioned in the manual?

At a loss right now :mad:

bigred 7.3l

TDI
'13 SEL Prem Night Blue on Black
Mine is a 2013 and no problems. Make sure it is un-plugged and then start the car. Plug it back in. If that does not work call their Customer Service.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Mine is a 2013 and no problems. Make sure it is un-plugged and then start the car. Plug it back in. If that does not work call their Customer Service.
bummer ok. Yeah I did that. I got in started the car. Plugged the scanner into the obd2 port and it just sits there and does nothing and eventually just shuts off.

:mad: hopefully calling the customer service is not to much of a hassle.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Try plugging it in before starting the engine. ScanGauge should work just fine on the 2013.

Do you have another vehicle (1996+) that you can try hooking it up in? There could be a problem with your ScanGauge.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Ok probably a dumb question but there is only one place you could plug the scanner in right? I assume the purple port on the left side of the driverside compartment is the obd2 port :whoknows:

I am still trying to get this thing to work, I have been talking with the techs at scan gauge. I have tried to force the codes. etc. they want me to try it in another vehicle so that is on the agenda.

Does anyone know what Code their scan gauges are using?? CANXX?

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
I still use my scangauge2 on my steering column, but if anyone has an android device, you can buy the Torque app and it has a ton of gauges available. In addition to the app, you will need to buy a Bluetooth odb2 connector for it to work. The BT adapter I linked to is the one I purchased, and it has worked well for the last 4 months.

I don't have a recent screenshot, but here's an early one from when I was messing with it. Just to give you an idea what it looks like. There's about 80 sensors it can read from, and a bunch of different style gauges. You're not stuck with just digital. And it has a bunch of skins and themes.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Can you explain the conditions at which you captured 1300 EGT and 11 psi?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Ultra Gauge is less expensive and has a prettier interface but I believe it doesn't calculate fuel economy as well as the ScanGauge. That said, the built-in MFI calculates fuel economy better than either of the aftermarket options.

I do not know if Ultra Gauge has more/less/same functionality compared to ScanGauge.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I personally don't care about the trip/fuel measurements. Only gauges, like EGT, boost, load. Seem like it should work for this limited capability for half the cost.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm still trying to get an answer to a question I asked a while ago. Can any of these aftermarket gauges (ScanGauge, Torque, Ultragauge) actually read VW measuring blocks, as opposed to just generic OBDII PIDs. I really want to know if any of these gauges can read all 4 EGT sensors in CR diesels. I would really like a display that shows the after DPF EGT sensor so that I can monitor DPF regenerations. I would love to be able to display the pre turbo EGT and the post DPF EGT. I know that the sensors are there, but the only way I know of to read them reliably is VCDS.

I get the impression that these gauges work only by reading generic OBDII PIDs. If this is the case, my MFD and my Kufatec E-MFA tell me almost everything these aftermarket gauges can tell me. I don't want to spend money only to be disappointed. TIA

Have Fun!

Don

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I'm still trying to get an answer to a question I asked a while ago. Can any of these aftermarket gauges (ScanGauge, Torque, Ultragauge) actually read VW measuring blocks, as opposed to just generic OBDII PIDs. I really want to know if any of these gauges can read all 4 EGT sensors in CR diesels. I would really like a display that shows the after DPF EGT sensor so that I can monitor DPF regenerations. I would love to be able to display the pre turbo EGT and the post DPF EGT. I know that the sensors are there, but the only way I know of to read them reliably is VCDS.

I get the impression that these gauges work only by reading generic OBDII PIDs. If this is the case, my MFD and my Kufatec E-MFA tell me almost everything these aftermarket gauges can tell me. I don't want to spend money only to be disappointed. TIA

Have Fun!

Don
I just bought my ScanGauge, so I'm not as up to speed as some others. But, if you take a look at this link, it says that you can monitor four different catalyst temps: http://www.scangauge.com/support/xgauges-for-cansf-vehicles/