Scan Gauge II XGauge - EGT & Boost

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
We've gotten a couple questions about how we put EGT on our ScanGauge II, so I'll make a quick post.

I got this information from here: http://www.scangauge.com/support/xgauges-for-cansf-vehicles/

Here is the best information to monitor on your Passat...

EGT1 (pre-turbo): This is useful for monitoring warm-up mode and temps going into the turbo. This will change very rapidly as you change the accelerator position.
TXD: 07DF0178
RXF: 054106780000
RXD: 3810
MTH: 00090032FFD8
NAM: EGT

CAT B1S1: This is useful for monitoring regeneration activity. Anything over 900F is a regen.
TXD: 07DF013C
RXF: 0441053C0000
RXD: 2810
MTH: 00090032FFD8
NAM: DPF

Boost pressure: This is useful for monitoring boost pressure. You should see 0 PSI with the ignition on and the engine off. You should see a max of 23.0 PSI on a stock tune.
TXD: 07DF0170
RXF: 054186700000
RXD: 3810 (4810 for a model year 2015)
MTH: 00910BB8FF64 (for sea level - you'll need to adjust the last 4 digits if you live at altitude in order to get to 0 PSI with the ignition on and the engine off. Also note that the baseline will change with atmospheric pressure as you change altitude.)
NAM: BST

Water Temperature: This is useful for monitoring actual water temperature
This is a normal gauge - no XGAUGE required, just cycle through the presets.

Personal note: I watch both exhaust temp sensors listed above and wait for both to be below 450F before shutting off the engine.

For information on how to program an X-Gauge, read page 38 on the Owner's Manual here:

http://www.scangauge.com/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=1

Thanks,

-Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
The scan gage is a slick device. I also purchased a Y cable, removed the OEM diagnostic plug from its holder in the trim panel and was able to secure one end of the Y into the original diagnostic plug's space with a zip tie and attached the other end to the scan gage and then to the OEM port. This is all tucked up on top of the trim panel and the cable to the scan gage passes through the gap in the dash next to the steering wheel. It sits perfectly on the lower lip of the instrument pod with a velcro strip. This does not interfere in any way with the vagcom communications unless you try to do something with the scangage while the vagcom is trying to read the car controllers.
It is very easy to tell when your DPF is being regen'd. That sucka gets HOT! I've been trying to figure out the boost reading, DSG temp, oil pressure, etc to name a few. The codes for the boost gage follow a sequence, and I plan to check the measuring blocks in the vagcom to see if there is any correlation to find more points to program as X gages.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
As far as I know, you won't be able to get boost or intake air temp to work. The ECU reports those values in a non-standard manner. IAT is reported as a voltage in VCDS and manifold pressure is reported in micropascals, which is pretty easy to convert to PSI, but I don't think the scangauge will pick it up (we've tried a few different things). Neither seems to display anything over OBD - at least not on the channels that we've tried to program on SCII.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Someone asked how we have our scan gauge mounted, here are some pictures:

The wire runs between the dashboard and the windshield, around the tweeter, behind the cover for the fuse door, then pokes out right by the OBD port. No dangling wires :cool:

-J

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Here's where I installed my scan gage - right between the speedo and tach on the little lip on the dash. I can see it right across the top of the steering wheel air bag housing:

Ran the interconnection cable in the gap between the steering column and the dash on the left side:

I also purchased the Y cable (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TMCX72/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00) that allowed the removal of the diagnostic port from the under dash trim panel and inserted one end of the Y cable in the trim panel, secured with a zip tie so it doesn't push out when plugging in my vagcom cable. The OEM diagnostic port plugs into the common leg of the Y cable and the Scan gage into the other leg. This does not interfere with Vagcom unless I try to reprogram the scan gage when Vagcom is also hooked up:

The scan gage cable and the OEM diagnostic port is all tied up under the dash on the air vent support strut (sorry for not taking a pic before I zipped everything up):

To keep the Scan gage in place, I made a little Z bar from some 0.010 brass shim stock and epoxied it to the rear of the scan gage. Lined it with Velcro to match up with the Velcro on the lip of the instrument pod, and I'm good to go:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Easy - it plugs into the OBD port under the dash. It will not void the warranty by any stretch of the imagination. Money well spent.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Easy - it plugs into the OBD port under the dash. It will not void the warranty by any stretch of the imagination. Money well spent.
ok and more specific to this thread to get the EGT readout. It doesn't require a special temp sensor to be installed correct?

I think I am going to order one. any reason the get the Y adapter? Is that just so I don't have to remove the scan gauge from the port should soemthing else need the OBDII port?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It uses one of the existing temperature sensors. You program an x-gauge into the ScanGauge unit and it displays that sensor's readings.

Only reason to get a Y cable is so that you can plug in two devices at the same time (example: ScanGauge and VCDS simultaneously).

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
Wouldn't it be nice if VW had this functionality already installed with the car? All the ScanGauge is doing it reading the information that the car already has. No new sensors, just a few more lines of code to allow the data to be displayed to the driver. Instead, we just get an indicator after the problem has occured, not that there might be a problem brewing. I'm an engineer and retired Navy guy, so I like to see data and trends to know how my system is operating, whether it's a submarine, car, motorcycle or computer.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
So...Knarrly...you want a truly functioning temperature gauge, too? How quaint...

I don't go anywhere in any vehicle w/o my scangauge hooked up...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The general public wouldn't know what to do with a factory EGT gauge... same reason why the coolant gauge has a 50°F dead zone - too many people going to the service department panicking because they don't understand what the instrumentation is telling them.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
ok and more specific to this thread to get the EGT readout. It doesn't require a special temp sensor to be installed correct?

2009+ TDIs actually have 4 EGT sensors built in. One is pre turbo, one is after turbo, one is after the DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst) and one is after the DPF.

My question is which one of these sensors are you reading with this setup? Also, can you set up a ScanGauge to read any (or all) of these sensors? The pre and post DPF sensor would be useful for monitoring regenerations.

Have Fun!

Don

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The pre-turbo is and has always been the most useful sensor to read for monitoring a turbodiesel engine. The only thing we really need to know is how hot the turbo is - cat temperatures aren't really that important to the vehicle operator since not many people know how to interpret that data.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Order has been placed. Supposed to be here tomorrow.

now If I can just find a place that is discreet to install it. I'd like to keep it in my view but out of sight from my passengers. hoping I can find something on the left side of the console. below the gauge cluster.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
tdiatlast has his on top of the steering wheel and we have ours on top of the defrost vents just to the left of the steering wheel (pictured above). Both locations are very discrete.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, it is discrete. But, it's not on top of the steering wheel:), although if it were, I might be able to use it as a suicide knob...

I have mine velcro'd to the steering wheel housing, on the flat surface as it tapers to go under the cluster. It fits there fine for us, since we don't have the steering wheel pushed all the way in. The cord is just long enough to wrap around the housing a couple of times (2?) behind the gauge, and it fits perfectly. (Can't remember if I wrapped it clockwise or counterclockwise, but...you get the point)

VeeDub's placement is superior if you want to watch the gauge w/o taking your eyes off the road. Mine is less visible to any passengers.

Compu just did the x-gauge for the EGTs for the Passat (THANKS!), and I've just done it for my 09. Super easy, and no I'll know just how hot things REALLY are during a regen.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
tdiatlast has his on top of the steering wheel and we have ours on top of the defrost vents just to the left of the steering wheel (pictured above). Both locations are very discrete.
Yeah I am not sure I "love" eitehr of those spots. I need to check it out and visualize some spots on my drive home tonight.

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
So...Knarrly...you want a truly functioning temperature gauge, too? How quaint...

I don't go anywhere in any vehicle w/o my scangauge hooked up...
Hey, I remember several vehicles that used to have an alternator voltage gauge standard. Probably because the alternators went bad more frequently...

I've told my wife about getting a ScanGauge. She just doesn't understand, because she's one of the general public that doesn't care about how the car works. It's my job to take care of the vehicles, therefore I shall have it. Plus, I can rationalize it for my Tacoma, which doesn't have an mpg gauge like the Passat.:D

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Knarrly...sigh...fortunately for me, my wife doesn't even notice when I slap the ScanGauge on the car...yet another sigh...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Gentlemen with wives - instruct them: DO NOT TURN OFF the engine until the "EGT" on your ScanGauge reads below 450F. :)

Just my $0.02

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
Gentlemen with wives - instruct them: DO NOT TURN OFF the engine until the "EGT" on your ScanGauge reads below 450F. :)

Just my $0.02
That'd be "Honey, PLEASE look at this little gizmo and when EGT is above 450, PLEASE leave the engine running for a few minutes until it get's below 450." And even then she's going to reply, "Okay, but I'm never going to remember all that."

My wife asked me to go get Diesel last night. She still doesn't like fueling it because she's afraid she's going to put gas in it. Even with the new stickers...

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wife: What little gizmo?

Knarrly: I'm getting suspicious. Either our wives are related, or we've been sharing all these years...yuck...