Real World MPG with DSG

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Got the data to prove this? :eek:

Has anyone heard that on the DSG they set it to "coast" when you let up off the fuel instead of applying the compression breaking like the standard automatics on the 05 Passats?

Is this true if you are in Sports mode or downshifting it with the tiptronic?
The Passat does freewheel

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
DSG has a hydraulic pump running all the time to shift the gears and swap clutches. So there is a parasitic loss that will eat a little more fuel.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
So if I'm reading Darrell's post correctly, the freewheel feature still cuts off fuel delivery -- like older DSGs -- but without engine braking?

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
So if I'm reading Darrell's post correctly, the freewheel feature still cuts off fuel delivery -- like older DSGs -- but without engine braking?
Yes, I have a hill/mountain I go down on the way to work every morning. In my '04 I would kill the cruse control about 1/2 way down @ 75 and I would be slowed down to the speed limit of 55 at the bottom where the cops hang out. With my '12 if I do the same thing I only slow down to just under 70 as it coasts down the hill.

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
Got the data to prove this? :eek:

Has anyone heard that on the DSG they set it to "coast" when you let up off the fuel instead of applying the compression breaking like the standard automatics on the 05 Passats?

Is this true if you are in Sports mode or downshifting it with the tiptronic?
I have my own empirical data, since I am averaging about 36.5 in MY tdi.
The 2012 passat DSG is rated at well below the Passat Manual.
A guy chimed in who had both a 6M and DSG confirming my findings.
www.vw.de website lists the DSG and Manual consumption figures backing up my claim.

ironpen

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Claims about manual tranny

Some of you guys appear to be making up claims to fit your story. The manual is rated 1 MPG more...about 2.5%. I have a DSG and I am averaging 38-39 with mostly intown driving and 45 to 47 on the interstate with cruise at 73. I've got no complaints and I have nothing against manual transmissions except the shifting really gets old for me pretty quickly. My friend has a manual and his numbers are similar to mine....on a Jetta. IMO, just get either one that suits your fancy, but don't expect a big penalty if you go DSG. These "gurus" making all the huge difference claims are pushing their own agenda and convincing themselves of their intellectual superiority which no one else seems to be able to pick up on.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Sorry...VWoA, in their specs, says 43 for the manual, 40 for the DSG...unless I'm reading the chart improperly.

Works out to 7%, doesn't it?

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
It's not a big deal....DSG or Manual....just personal preference, both are very economical with the TDI. I don't think people are stretching the truth or trying to prove anything when they state that 6M cars "potentially" get better mpg's......the EPA suggests a 3mpg difference between the two in favor of the 6M, and my experience having had both a DSG and now a 6M is that the 6M enables one to exceed the EPA ratings by a wider margin than the DSG.

ironpen

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Tdiatlast

Tdiatlast....you are absolutely correct. My apologies. I was thinking of the Jetta at 42 vs 43 for the manual Passat. I still think some of these claims are made up....but I have proven that I am wrong, so what do I know? I do know I last had a manual on a Nissan Frontier and got so sick of shifting gears after a few months that I started revving that thing up so I could go 1-3-5 and skip second and fourth if at all possible. I drove it mostly in town and it was a real pain in the butt doing all that shifting. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. If one size fit everyone, they wouldn't make but one tranny....so take your pick. These are great cars and you will love it no matter which one you choose.

Last edited:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
If everyone would leave their "mine is better than yours attitude" out of these discussions it would be better. 6M or DSG what does it matter unless you want yours to be the "better" one?

Having said that, what is the lowest speed you can get into top gear on each of these vehicles? With the 2005 Passat you could not below 40 MPH and that was a pain.

What is it for these two, especially the DSG?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TomB: I agree with your evaluations of the DSG vs. Manual debate...

As far as the "lowest speed you can get into top gear..." You might want to keep in mind that there are many here that are concerned that cruising in TOO LOW (lugging) an RPM might have a negative effect, causing excessive soot build-up on the CRs...at least, that's my understanding. There may be a penalty to hyper-miling with these engines, with unknown long-term buildup of gook if there isn't sufficient air flow through the DPF/exhaust.

I hope someone with more understanding about this will weigh in...I don't fully understand EGR temps, etc, and how they're affected by lugging...

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Some of you guys appear to be making up claims to fit your story. The manual is rated 1 MPG more...about 2.5%. I have a DSG and I am averaging 38-39 with mostly intown driving and 45 to 47 on the interstate with cruise at 73. I've got no complaints and I have nothing against manual transmissions except the shifting really gets old for me pretty quickly. My friend has a manual and his numbers are similar to mine....on a Jetta. IMO, just get either one that suits your fancy, but don't expect a big penalty if you go DSG. These "gurus" making all the huge difference claims are pushing their own agenda and convincing themselves of their intellectual superiority which no one else seems to be able to pick up on.
Irregardless of rated MPG, VW's track record on DSG transmissions shifting clunky, mechatronix failures, and 40k mile service gearbox oil changes at $450 a whack, the manual seems a better value all the way around, to me.

Been down that road with an A4 automatic transmission failure before, won't ever be going down it again.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Irregardless of rated MPG, VW's track record on DSG transmissions shifting clunky, mechatronix failures, and 40k mile service gearbox oil changes at $450 a whack, the manual seems a better value all the way around, to me.

Been down that road with an A4 automatic transmission failure before, won't ever be going down it again.
Regardless maybe???
But this thread is about mpg with DSG, not bashing the DSG.
Start another thread if that is all you want to say.

AstroEng

TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Golf TDI (Sold)
We've had 3 tanks of 100% city streets and they have all averaged 32 +/-1 MPG. That has been with some cold mornings and the wife running the heated seats mostly in the mornings, but throughout the day as well. We also just did a 1300 mile trip up and down I-25 between ABQ and Cheyenne (some mountains, very little flat terrain) and averaged 40 MPG doing 80 MPH most of the time (I think the tank average speed was in the 70s).

I get panicked when I see 30's on the gauge while driving on the highway, but have to remind myself that the Passat isn't my Golf and high 30's is doing great. On some of the New Mexico roads, the Hankooks get noisy (not as bad as the Golf), but on the smooth roads in Colorado, its very quiet. After doing 3000 miles in the golf in October squeezed in with the wife and 2 car seats (I'm 6'1"), the Passat is an absolute joy for road trips. I can stretch out all the way in front of a rear-facing carseat and there is room to spare. Other parents (especially tall ones) will know what I am talking about.

v4prn

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Jetta TDI mileage

I had a 2010 jetta TDI 6 speed manual was averaging 43 to 45 mpg after 36000 miles. It got wrecked and i bought a 2011 Jetta TDI 6 speed auto so far averaging 40 mpg with 13000 miles on it.
There is a differance in the gearing. the 2010 would tack at 2000rpm at 70 mph the 2011 is 2300 at 70mpg. so I', guessing the milage will suffer some.

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
my overall average on my 2010 dsg is 40.6..

I get between 36 on really bad days to 53 on my best day with a tail wind. Again the average is a really disappointing 40.6 in 57,000 miles of driving.

jimnmari

TDI
'12 Passat SE DSG
Back in LA:
400 mile loop LA - San Diego - LA = 51.8mpg. No air and no cruise ... cars everywhere, but we were flowing in the 65-75 range the whole way.

Now in Detroit
400 mile trip Detroit - Buffalo = 44mpg. In the rain w/ cruise set to 65-80
The return trip was into a solid 20mpg wind and we got 39mpg doing 65-70 .. wouldn't go any faster as we were blowing all over the road. AC on at 70* the whole way.

Around town we get between 32 (with short trips) to 38.

Honestly, I'm blown away with the around town efficiency more than I am with the highway. Was a bit bummed with the return mileage but the winds were quite strong. This is a trip I'll make every two months, so I'll keep tabs to see how it changes over time.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
my overall average on my 2010 dsg is 40.6..

I get between 36 on really bad days to 53 on my best day with a tail wind. Again the average is a really disappointing 40.6 in 57,000 miles of driving.
Well thats 4-5 more than my 2005, so don't be sad.
And that's a lot of miles BTW.

jumpinjoe

TDI
2012 passat tdi
First time I broke 50 mpg on commute. This was 60 miles, 85% highway,2012 tdi sel got 52 mpg. The weather warming up here on Long Island may have helped. 50 to 55 degrees on the ride home in January!!

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
... which is why I want a coolant heater for mine. At least I'll get better winter MPGs for half my commutes. Considering engineering an onboard heater from an aux deep cycle battery setup, but not until I have metrics for a cost-benefit analysis. May also require a battery vapor plumbing for trunk placement. May not be worth it.

Last edited:

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
A coolant heater? What's next? That $400 + block heater ? Hell man just drive it like ya stole it... Boogity Boogity Boogity ! ! !

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two dealers quoted me $345 for the part...not even in the warehouse yet.

Stay tuned. We need more details...wattage, coolant vs. oil pan heater, etc. etc.

I might start a new thread...

dadai

TDI
2011 Sportwagen TDI
I have a 2011 Sportwagen TDI with DSG. From San Diego to Santa Barbara, yesterday with 3 adults in the car, I exited 101 toward my home with the mpg screen showing 48.3. That is the best yet. No traffic and we averaged about 60 mph. Amazing, these diesels VW's.

Last edited: