Real World MPG - 6 speed Manual

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Also the engine needs to be spinning in order to produce power, I can't drive around in 6th gear doing 30mph and expect to get 100MPG.

Placing a larger gear won't always equal better MPGs.

The only reason we're seeing 7 and 8 gear automatics is to keep the RPMS in in ideal range for that extra 1mpg. But sadly that also means the trany will "hunt around" and shift all over the place while driving, and doing this on hill get really old real quick.

Remember these are just small 2.0L engines that need to spin to get to 60MPH, not a 6.2L V8 that produces practically enough torque at idle to do 60MPH.
This is so true. I have a 2006 Duramax Diesel truck with a 6 speed Allison automatic which actually has 2 overdrives. When I am pulling any kind of load, I get better fuel mileage if I hold the transmission in 5th rather than letting it shift into 6th. The reason for this is that by increasing the rpms 300-400 the turbo is able to make an additional 8-10 pounds of boost while cruising which in turn makes the burn more efficient. Now when I am empty it works the other way because the extra power is not needed and there is very little fuel called for so not as much need for the additional air to make it burn efficiently.

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Its all about finding the sweet spot for a particular engine under a particular load. Which is why I would prefer a fully manual trans with at least the possibility of slightly lower RPM's at cruising speed.

tryin

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
Tryin lives in WV, so can't blame 'em.
Yep, WV winters can be interesting for sure. I live about a mile up a state maintained road, that seems to be the last on the list as well. We usually end up doing the plowing on our own but there are occasions, such as coming home from work after a full day of snow, that we are driving in 6-8 inches of unplowed snow. I run dedicated snows in the winter and have still have had to park at the bottom of the hill and walk home, really doesn't bother me but the wife:mad:. She want's the suv back because of the AWD. Snow tires are great on the main raods, but there is no substitute for four wheels pulling when you have to go up steeper hills in bad conditions.

I agree that on packed snow covered roads, I see little advantage to 4 wheel drive. I've got 4 new Blizzaks coming for the Passat though.

Back on topic, wife took the passat to Charlotte this weekend, driving pretty much 75 mph the entire trip, got 45 mpg! Try that in an SUV, or any other car for that matter!

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Back on topic, wife took the passat to Charlotte this weekend, driving pretty much 75 mph the entire trip, got 45 mpg! Try that in an SUV, or any other car for that matter!
That's great and sounds about right for 75mph on the highway....Hey, according to my MFD I got 51mpg this morning on my 50 mile commute, most of the time speed is limited between 60-75mph though, with some stop & go/city stuff.

thegradas

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
2nd tank: avg. 4.8 L/100km (49 US mpg / 58.85 imperial mpg)
Best hwy avg so far: 4.1 L/100km (57.37 US mpg / 68.90 imperial mpg)

Last edited:

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
2nd tank: avg. 4.8 L/100km (49 US mpg / 58.85 imperial mpg)
Best hwy avg so far: 4.1 L/100km (57.37 US mpg / 68.90 imperial mpg)
That's great, and believable based on what I am seeing on mine.....how fast are you driving and what is the terrain/driving conditions like?

thegradas

TDI
2012 Passat 6MT
Speed: mostly 62-64 mls/h
Terrain: mostly flat, few hills
Weather: 32-39 F
Other: Michelin X-Ice Xi2 winter tires, dry road

That's great, and believable based on what I am seeing on mine.....how fast are you driving and what is the terrain/driving conditions like?

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Speed: mostly 62-64 mls/h
Terrain: mostly flat, few hills
Weather: 32-39 F
Other: Michelin X-Ice Xi2 winter tires, dry road
Yeah 62-64mph, my wife took the car on a trip on slight rolling country roads where her speeds were mostly 60-63mph and she was averaging 53+mpg, which included some traffic lights/stop signs, etc...

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
It looks like the Passat TDI does have better FE than the Golf and Jetta TDI. 4.1-4.5l/100km is an unbelievable figure for such a large car.

I hope VW sells a tons of these.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Are you all glad you chose the 6-spd MT? I hope to pick one up very soon.
I really love my 6M, I thought I would miss the DSG but 90% of the time I prefer the 6M.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
I had a little break from my normal 30 mpg, 4 mile commute today. I drove a relative to a train station 36 miles away, mostly highway. I drove at the speed of traffic, typically 70ish in 65 zones, 64 in 55 zones, with cruise on much of the time. With an average speed of 49 mph, average mpg was 48.0. I got really close to 50 average on the way there, 49.4. Less traffic and a slight downhill grade that way. This is an easy 50's mpg car for those motivated to annoy other drivers slightly. :)

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Picked up mine today and drove it 150 miles home at 60mph. MFD indicated an average of over 55 mpg! I am so glad I chose the 6-speed MT. Love the car!

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
It looks like the Passat TDI does have better FE than the Golf and Jetta TDI. 4.1-4.5l/100km is an unbelievable figure for such a large car.

I am sure VW hopes so too. As long as they keep a handle on quality and eventually give us some needed options such as fog lamps on the lower end models, I'd be 'over the moon'. I am aways from buying one of these new 'wonder passats', but I would get the 6m if I could order one. Might have to finally train the wife in driving stick....

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
more TDI

Supply is very limited for the engine. I'm hoping VW will expand availability of the 6 speed manual to SEL trim of TDI for the U.S.A. and more importantly manufacture TDI engine somewhere in North or South America.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Or even a better comparison try that in a Camry or Accord, no way you will be able to get close to 40 MPG even!!!! Not even going 70 mph I would bet.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
well i just wish VW hires their own third party MPG calculations like they did on the jettas, and claim 44-7mpg highway, which I'm able to net down on my sedan without really working it.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
The stupid EPA mileage calculations is really makes it hard for the consumer to know WHAT REALLY the car will get. I firmly believe that diesels, once warmed up fully, will always beat the pants of the EPA estimates. My 05 passat TDI does all the time. I usually get 41-41.5 easy on a trip. Drive it hard? Get 40 mpg. Trust me it is a lot of fun to drive mine for hours at a clip at 75-80. :)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Glad to know. In my 09 TDIs, best MPG is 62-64mph. I'll be glad to have the longer legs of the Passat we're picking up tonight!

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I have only done one fuel up so far.... and it was about 50/50 highway city.

it was about 39 mpg.

cruising down from Santa Barbara to LA at 90-95 mph it was still averaging 42. THATS incredible. SO smooth at that speed.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
I have only done one fuel up so far.... and it was about 50/50 highway city.

it was about 39 mpg.

cruising down from Santa Barbara to LA at 90-95 mph it was still averaging 42. THATS incredible. SO smooth at that speed.
90-95 mph!!! Wish they let us do that in Connecticut...sounds like fun.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
90-95 mph!!! Wish they let us do that in Connecticut...sounds like fun.

lol yeah they kind of "let us" ..... nobody really drives much under 80 around here. if you drive under 80 you'll get run down.

hell 55 on city street is normal.....

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
652 miles/14.6 gal = 44.65mpg(MFD read 44.5).....difficult driving conditions this week led to lower than usual mpg's. Considering my commute and other daily driving, getting this kind of mpg's is awesome.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I almost dropped to the floor. Yes, I filled all the way up ....takes a lot of patience but it is possible. AVG 49.4 MPG for this tank!!!!! Stuck in city traffic for some time...then last night was kind of tired and out on the highway with my wife who can't drive a stick....anyway....I realized when I was almost home that I was cruising along the whole time in 5th instead of 6th!!!! People, with restrained driving 50+ MPG is easily obtainable IMO.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Yeah, 50+mpg is possible with these cars, of course it takes the right conditions and driving for mpg's to do it, but these cars are misers on the highway. My wife just got back from a 250 mile trip, checking the MFD she averaged 51.2mpg, it was mostly country roads(under 60mph) rolling hills with approx 30 miles city driving. 44+mpg's should be commonplace in most conditions with just a little attention toward fuel economy.