NOx sensor problems

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
So I just bought a 2012 Passat TDI. 91k km. Awesome shape.

I put my VCDS on it and am getting P2200 and P20EE.

I see there is a TSB 493082 which widens the parameters that the CEL for the NOx is set. Has anyone had this done and did it work or should I just spring for a new sensor?

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
VW dealer here says that they won't cover it and want $950 for the sensor.
Is it just a case of plugging the new one in, or does it need to be coded with VCDS?

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
VW dealer here says that they won't cover it and want $950 for the sensor.
Is it just a case of plugging the new one in, or does it need to be coded with VCDS?
So the extended warranty does not apply to your VIN? You might also want to ask which recall campaigns and tsb's have been applied to your car.

Some people have had success removing the sensor and soaking it in brake cleaner and reinstalling it.

If you take the emissions fix, then it should be covered if it happens after the
vw emissions fix.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I'd go to a different dealership or call VW. They extended the warranty on the AdBlue components last year.
The only extended warranty I know of on any AdBlue components is for the tank heater. I got a letter some time ago saying that the warranty on the AdBlue tank heater in our car had been extended to 10/120, but that is the only component mentioned. (This does not include the extended warranties I have received on non-related components, specifically the turbocharger and the heater core.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
They will not cover the NOX sensor, even with the extended warranty. I have talked to the service manager and VWOA and received formal letters back from them saying they wont... i have had the light on for over a year without any issues. I was going to wait for a few to show up in parts yard (or if someone wants to send me one for some $ before they turn thier's in...) and then get it fixed.

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Many many posts about this problem and there is a "connector seal" recall to check the plug for pin corrosion and security. I currently have been driving my car with this and keep clearing and it keeps coming back. I was told by an Ontario dealer that I had to pay the 1200$ to replace it after the connector seal recall did not fix the problem. I'll ask the dealer AGAIN when I go in for the "approved modification" as I won't get a warrantee unless the modification is completed. I was told prior to this being approved for gen 2's that I would have to pay to replace the nox sensor prior to them doing the software flash for the approved modification. It seems counter to the spirit of the warrantee that I should have to pay to fix the nox sensor in order to get a warrantee on the entire system when it will be warranted after the fix. Vw Canada was of no help.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
$1200 CAD seems crazy

http://www.idparts.com/mox-sensor-vw-03l907807ad-passat-tdi-p-4980.html

$512CAD today's exchange +shipping + tax + duty

Not sure what the price is at the dealer. I *think* it's a 1 year warranty from the parts department.

It can't be that expensive to have it replaced at an independent shop. Should take more that 1/2hr. It's an electrical plug and a connector.