If you have to replace my B4 wagon, what would you get?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
You're asking this question to a forum full of people who are maintaining cars 20+ years old...

Did you mind maintaining your B4? Was it nickel and diming you?

With a car payment comes a warranty... maybe a loaner car when it goes in for service. Consider the monthly payment as buying free time.

-Todd
Yeah, I figured that this would be a crowd with a little bit of a bias. But this forum is also honest, realistic and doesn't beat around the bush (too much).

After a point of getting my B4V to where I wanted it, I didn't find the maintenance excessive at all. I never felt nickel and dimed, but with any "older" used car, you can never be sure what you are getting.

Time and space are my main limiting factors, so I really can't take on a project. I think my question was more of how much more refined these newer TDI's are compared to a B4. How much of a difference (other than rear seat space and trunk space) would a B4 be compared to a MKIV, MKIV versus MKV, etc compared to whatever current generation (2015).
-Nick

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Personally, I think anything newer would be quieter, faster, more amenities, shinier paint, etc. I look at plenty of newer cars and comment about their good looks...

I love the idea of "all of the above", other than the payment that comes along with it. I had one car payment when I was younger, and when the car was paid off it was promptly sold. I then bought a 10-year-old Rabbit GTI, and that started a 20+ year love affair. I've never owned a new car.

The above probably doesn't answer your question...

-Todd

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Glad to read that no one was injured. I am just reading of this now & have not here in the past few days.

If you need it, I did screen shot the info on the $11K Ebay sale B4V. Also, I have the info. on my B4V purchase & upgrade costs that might help as we are int he same market area. When I flirted with selling mine, about 18 months ago & had it up on Ebay, the bids were into 9K when I withdrew the sale listing. So, if you need comp. support, contact me. Tom in Stafford might be able to assist also.

You mentioned possible parting your car. If so, I have interest in the skid plate & head light switch. Perhaps other parts.

As for replacement vehicles, that is a tough one. LugNut's idea of a BRM into an A6V is an interesting idea. But, in the US, those cars & that swap might be an attention magnet.

ALH or BEW A4V's are great cars, quieter than ours, but definitely lack the elbow room. Perhaps an B5.5V with the manual swap & other work. But, most that I know that had a B5.5 did not end up keeping it vary long for various reasons. So, it may, or may, not be a good fit for you. Beyond that, not too many other options.

Good luck with the adjustor.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You ended that auction... at $9K!!!??

Maybe I need to look into eBay...

-Todd

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Yes. The reason for selling changed as the property I was eyeing was not going to work out. Then what do I do for a comparable car kicked in. So why sell & just churn money & cars.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Late to the party - If I were in your shoes, I'd look for another comparable B4V, biding my time until the right one came around.

That said, if time was of the essence, I would also search for a B5V converted to a manual transmission, with the BSM removed.

Then again, I am biased... and have had both :D

Fliphish

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI Wagon
There's Always the Nice Car Company

Located in Bellingham, WA. They restore B4V wagons.
Total tear down/rebuilds. I think their prices are pretty high. But you could use them as a reference for what your wagon would cost to replace. Especially with the upgrades you mentioned.

I'm going through a similar experience with 2003 Jetta TDI wagon. Teenage kid texting while not paying attention to the road, slammed into my legally parked wagon. Fortunately, my car is repairable, but repair costs and insurance settlement are about $1500 apart.

Kid's dad is going to pony up the difference.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Whatever you do: DO NOT buy from Nice Cars. Search the forum. They are the last firm you want to buy a B4 from.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
I ended up picking up a 2015 Golf Sportwagen yesterday. It is a really nice car, but is not the same as my B4V!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlee275

TDI
96 B4V
Congratulations! I've seen a few of those still new for sale; was yours new? Looks great!

From what I've seen, I think the available space in those Golf Sportwagens isn't too far behind the B4V.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is a picture of the cargo area. I don't have my Passat anymore to measure the space but in the GSW, it is about 40"x40"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Congrats! Manual or DSG? I pick up mine (GSW S, Manual, White) tomorrow.

I'm betting the cargo capacity is similar to the B4's.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Congrats! Manual or DSG? I pick up mine (GSW S, Manual, White) tomorrow.

I'm betting the cargo capacity is similar to the B4's.
Of course,manual!! Gotta try to match the B4 experience as much as possible!!!

Mine is the S as well. I was impressed what comes standard on the S; I couldn't imagine if I got the SE or SEL.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, creature comforts and amenities. Stuff you won't be able to live without, after owning a current/new car, for a while!

Hopefully, you won't need the warranty, but a least you won't be the one turning the wrenches.

-Todd

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Todd, when you get a chance, can you measure the cargo area (L x W) to compare the size of the B4V cargo area to the GSW?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's definitely not as square/rectangular as yours.

Length with the seats upright 41".
Length with the seats folded down 67".

Width between the wheel wells 36".
Width behind the wheel wells 47".

I usually keep my seats in the down position to maximize cargo room.

-Todd

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
I'm late to this thread...and my appoligies if I missed it...

how was the ins settlement? fair or were they difficult?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm late to this thread...and my appoligies if I missed it...

how was the ins settlement? fair or were they difficult?
Sorry, it's been a while since I posted an update. I finally settled with the insurance company. They started off with a paltry $2300 but I refused and they said they were willing to consider things I was able to find. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of good comparable Passat TDI wagons out there; I showed them some cars from the business out west and he said, "I'm not paying you $15K for your car."

I was able to find a couple more...long story short, I agreed to $4500. I would have liked $6K, but I didn't walk away as angry as I was when the accident happened or when they said $2300.

Last edited:

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
Who wants to save a B4V?

I helped brownnugen with some of his troubles after the accident. Well the car ended up in my driveway. It may go into storage for a few months then be parted out but I would really like to see someone fix it as a project. The left engine rail is the only part with major damage. I spoke to a bodyman at Sowo in Helen and he said it would need less than 4 hours of rack time at $60-$75 an hour. There is a running B4 available for $500 locally that would supply all the parts. Then you need paint. I'll post some pictures some time later this week.

I cut the hood off and replaced the shift tower. After putting in a new battery it is a no start. The codes are below. I'll fix the broken lift sensor but is the airbag causing a no start issue? I'll have to decode later since Rosstech is dumb and won't let me use my paid registration on my older VAG ISO-COM.

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Tuesday, 30 May 2017, 19:15:34.

Chassis Type: 3A - VW Passat B4
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,25,41

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 028-906-021-AHU.LBL
Controller: 028 906 021 BK
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC SG D5O
Coding: 00000
Shop #: WSC 00000
VCID: 59C50E67D001
2 Faults Found:
00542 - Needle lift Sensor (G80)
05-00 - Input Open
00527 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
30-00 - Please Register/Activate
Readiness: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 15: Airbags Labels: 6N0-909-60x-VW2.LBL
Controller: 6N0 909 603 G
Component: AIRBAG VW2 V00
Coding: 00071
Shop #: WSC 05311
VCID: 361FA5DB015F
5 Faults Found:
00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)
33-00 - Resistance too Low
00589 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
29-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
00589 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
32-00 - Please Register/Activate
00595 - Crash Data Stored
35-00 - -
00532 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
07-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've gotten airbag codes, but the car always starts. I'd start with the G80.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thankfully, no. It was a low resistance value, though.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting...

I realize the code is stored, but I wonder what would happen if you plugged a clean AB module in... it's a pita to get to, though.

-Todd

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Fixing the needle lift sensor did not allow the engine to start. I was trying to find the airbag module to disconnect it but there is lots of stuff in the way. Maybe there is a fuse I could pull instead. I am hoping if I disconnect it then the car will start after the codes are clear. I really need to start another thread for this.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The module is under the furthest forward part of the center console, it's not easy to get to without pulling the console, however, where the rest of it goes I don't know.

It's odd that a SRS of this early date would prevent engine from starting if bags were deployed, my B3V has a Mk3 ECU and the SRS deleted and I don't get a code for not having any air bag module etc. I would expect a code either way if the ECU were actually looking for signals from the SRS. I have a suspicion that the SRS is a self-contained unit on these cars and does not talk to the ECU.

I would also look at the convenience module and maybe just for good measure bypass the no-start feature of that thing before heading in to replace the air bag module.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Disclaimer: I don't have any direct airbag knowledge with these cars...

There doesn't really need to be actual communication between the modules to achieve engine shutdown after an airbag deployment. Simply relaying the fuel shutoff solenoid or 109 through the airbag module would be sufficient to meet the safety needs. Check for power at those two locations... Typically on a gasser the fuel pump relay gets cut off.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
The car is running and driving. There was a remote button to activate the starter. The button had also failed so the starter had to be hot wired. The injectors also had air in them and ran after a bleed. We drove the car to its new home until someone adopts or becomes a life saving organ donor in a couple months.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is a picture of the sweet ride! It even has the camber that the kids love.

Last edited: