Buying a new 2015 Passat TDI SEL from dealer in 2017.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
just did our first 200 mile road trip, cruise set at 70mph for 75% of the trip, balance mostly 2 lane rural roads and a few city miles, averaged 47.4 mpg about 3mpg more than our 2013 SE used to get figuring by fuely. I'm impressed

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
picked up a 2015 sel passat tdi yesterday, with 82 miles on the clock. Having been a new car dealer and probably have bought and sold thousands of cars over the last fifty years, I stumbled on an actually good , competent VW dealer, after dealing with a dozen incompetent snooks. They had put the car back to new condition. Should anyone ask who this dealer is, i'll be happy to share.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
picked up a 2015 sel passat tdi yesterday, with 82 miles on the clock. Having been a new car dealer and probably have bought and sold thousands of cars over the last fifty years, I stumbled on an actually good , competent VW dealer, after dealing with a dozen incompetent snooks. They had put the car back to new condition. Should anyone ask who this dealer is, i'll be happy to share.
A snook is a highly prized sport fish.

A shnook (from the Yiddish "schnook") is an easily deceived, victimized person.

Most people get this wrong, as the "shnook" is the poor customer that is deceived by an incompetent, or corrupt, sales person or tech, who are better known as "crooks.":D:D

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
thanks for the explanation, these were schnooks and gonifs (sp?)

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Let me chime in on my Lease to Purchase experience and the reasons why I did so.
---------------------------------------------
In this long post I'll talk about why I chose the lease option.
Why it's not a bad option for many.
And my concerns with cars sitting for long periods and how Vw addessed them.

If this is what you want to know, keep reading. If not, hopefully my summary helped you save a few minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, I used to sell VW's. I worked at 3 dealerships over an 8 year course. I learned a few things, and dont mind sharing them here.

I recently picked up 3 2015 "NEW" "Fixed" Tdi's Beetle Convertible, Passat and Golf Sportwagen.
I asked questions about sitting long term, flat spots on tires, fluids, water in the diesel fuel, etc.

They SHOWED me the 30 day checks they had to do. Each of the cars had at least 120 miles on them indicating they'd been driven.
This dealership drove all their TDI's monthly so they'd not just sit. They got up to operating temperature, and drove 8 miles down and 8 miles back once a month to get the condensation out of the oil (by getting the engine to normal operating temp), Upon the Phase 1 fix, they also changed the tires, fluids, (including brake), wipers, battery, including key fobs. So when I drove off the lot the car was in the same condition that all the 2017 cars were in on their lot.
When I sold cars for VW, I remember the "aged" cars (over 60 days on the lot) having to be serviced every 30 days. They'd be driven, the battery would be charged via external charger, and a series of checks had to be done). Every service will appear on the car's service history by its VIN. These cars were rare, but ocassionally we'd have an unusual configuration that would be slow to sell. (Base White Rabbit with manual transmission, Gasser of course).

I purchased mine for Sticker price, minus the $8500 Lease incentive.

There was a comment earlier about someone not wanting to do a lease. In my case, it was better to lease, (and take the $8500 discouint) AND THEN buy your own car off lease, than it is to take the $5000 discount and purchase option.

WHY?
When I buy my car off lease, my sales tax (which I'll be charged for the purchase (residual) price of my car will be added in again. In Alabama, unlike some other states, it's pretty low. I'm looking about 3.8%. For state, city and county taxes. This isn't the case everywhere. Before you do this lease to purchase, check what your automobile sales tax is, and if it applies to purchasing your own car off lease. Remember, you'll only have to pay sales tax on the residual value of the car when you buy your own car off lease.

Lease 101:
For those who don't know, if you purchase your car after the lease is over, you buy it for a pre-determined residual price. The leases VW has are Closed-End lease, meaning the residual is a set percentage of the MSRP. This is determined AT THE TIME of the lease inception. So there are no surprises.

Normally when you turn in a leased car, you are responsible for damage and any mileage overage from what you agreed for/paid for in your lease.

BUT- when you purchase YOUR OWN car off lease, miles and condition don't matter.
Meaning You can take the $8500 discount. Do VW's 24 month short term lease. (which is all they offer on the TDI's to get the $8500), Pay down the car to it's residual (about $13-14k), then either refinance the residual amount or pay for it outright and own the car. If you've driven the car 50,000 miles in that 2 year period, as long as youre buying it, it doesnt matter that you went over on your miles. YOUR RESIDUAL VALUE is all VW wants you to pay in order to own the car.

The 72 months at 0% with a 5k discount leaves $3500 on the table as far as discounts are concerned.

What I did:
On one of the cars, we put down enough to cover the entire lease. It's a ONE-pay lease. It cut the amount by a few hundred dollars over what it would have been for 24 monthly payments. So, effectively, we have 2 years of driving with no car payment.

BEFORE YOU DO THIS OPTION, should you want to buy it, check with your local dealer to see what taxes they charge. Again, when you purchase your own leased car, you may have to pay sales tax on that purchase, plus any dealer fees like doc fees. (It pays to shop around to see if a dealership near you is in a lower tax area than another dealer).

On the other two cars I put down $5000. Short term leases have higher payments than long term leases and I wanted to have 2 cars for the payment of one. Because you're taking most of the depreciation (which is what you're paying for on a lease), in the first 2 years.

My payments on the other two are in the low $200's for 23 months. (First month is taken from the upfront downpayment.)

Essentially all I'll have to do to own these cars, during the next 20 months (I want to own before the 90 day to turn in date), is pay off the 4500-5000 I owe on the lease obligation on those 2 cars. Then I'll be able to purchase them for their 12k-14k residual.

If I finance a 14k car, my monthly payments at 60 months will be about $250 including tax. At 36 months about $400.

Lease taxes will vary by where you live. Even within the same city the difference between townships or zipcodes may be quite a bit.

If I can help, shoot me a pm. I dont have up to date current residual values, because I dont have access any more, but maybe I can give some advice.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Hmm, what if your state has zero taxes on both lease and sales?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The 72 months at 0% with a 5k discount leaves $3500-625=3875 on the table as far as discounts are concerned.

Corrected, that lease acquisition fee isn't free. Granted it compares to GAP insurance others have been quoted for the financing.

We hope to have the 2012 Passat turned in by end of June and the lease paid off and only forking over about 7K.

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
I am kicking myself for not checking this more regularly.

If anyone has any dealer sightings of a Jetta / Passat 6 speed PLEASE send me a PM. Otherwise my wife and I will spend dozens more hours working down the list of every possible VW dealer. No jettas/passats on cars.com are actually available.

I really, really don't want to have to figure out how to do a DSG to 6sp conversion... like we did on our MK4 2002.

Last night a dealer showed us a Jetta 6sp since it didn't have a hold/sold tag, but as we were making our deposit they said it was already commited. arch.

Last edited:

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
You will not be able to find these on cars.com as most dealerships have remove them from the new car listings. And I'm not sure how cars.com works but I know it is tied in with dealership Systems.

For those who are looking for any remaining tdi's. I helped a friend purchase a Passat TDI it Jim Ellis Volkswagen in Atlanta this past Saturday. They had several tdi's remaining mostly wagons. And I believe they have just sold out of passats. They do have a golf or at least they did at the time that I was there. There are two Jim Ellis locations at believe this one was the Marietta location

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
6sp manuals will be even harder to find.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Just picked up a silver SEL. 21 miles on the clock, 4 mud flaps, spoiler and thrown in locking lug nuts, first aid kit and roadside emergency package. Paid sticker of $35,555 and signed up for the lease to get the $8500 discount. Things I've noticed on the 50 mile drive home: the time lag for the hill holding function to release is not noticeable, the truck lid raises up higher, the EA288 engine is smoother and quieter, and a bit different in torque curve, the braking is more lineal and I have oil temperature on the MFD.
The warranty is exceptional. Basically, the difference between the 13 SEL we traded in with 55k miles was the amount owing to the State for sales tax.
Oh, I was surprised that when pulling off from a stop and turning, the front tires chirped and the rotors weren't hammered by the TCS.
One final point: I wanted to buy the service plan for routine maintenance to 40K miles and was told it wasn't available.
I had planned to take the fix on our 13, but with this deal and 11 year 162k mile warranty on just about the entire mechanical system with the exception of the DSG was just a no brainer.

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
35,500-8500=27,000, so you pay the lease for 3 months then pay the car off.

If you have competent money managers, I believe leasing is a bad idea. I gave back my 15 got a check for 31K and in one month made 620. 0% for 72 months, I'm netting 200/month x's 72, should be over 10K. Leasing is when your broke.

I didn't buy a new 15, car is 3 years old and too expensive, when everything settles down you'll own a low mileage used car that's still prone to problems warranty or no warranty. If there was no dieselgate, VW would have ample time to get all the bugs out of the design, by 2018 they could roll out something that would work well, less prone to problems. My thoughts.

And, think about this, you buy a 15 (35,500-8,500=27,000) in 3months its totaled, how much would insurance pay you?

Last edited:

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
well, if you are worried about not be compensated if the car is totaled, continue leasing and let the bank take the hit. Otherwise, I disagree with most everything you said.

RARROYO

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
You can purchase the vehicle, just make sure you get the gap insurance. If the car is totaled or stolen, then the difference is paid by the gap insurance company. Never put money out of your pocket to buy a car for that reason. Keep the money in the bank, if you have the discipline not to spend it then use the 0.9% interest for 72 months, get the gap insurance and you'll be good. Yes the payments will be higher with no money down but let's say you buy a fully loaded golf sportwagen sel for 33,260-5000=28270 plus tax, title and tags. Round it up to $32,500. Your payment for 72 months will be around 475.00 a month, no money out of pocket. Now you put down $10,000 for the same car lowering you cost to 22,500, which on paper it looks better and not paying $475.00 monthly, maybe $325.00 monthly. That's $150.00 a month difference, which is $1,800 a year. Wouldn't you rather have that money in the bank for a rainy day? Maybe an unexpected repair, tires, brakes throughout the 6 years that you own the car? Now you give them the $10,000 it's gone!!! You total the car your $10,000 is gone!!! This is why you never put money down on a car.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
well, if you are worried about not be compensated if the car is totaled, continue leasing and let the bank take the hit. Otherwise, I disagree with most everything you said.
had a 13 Passat sel prem which I bought new, 72 days later it was totaled, not my fault. I paid 32k for the car insurance, wrote me a check for 27K, had to sue for the other 5K. 2yrs later I finally got my day in court and lost. Insurance Company only has to pay, the amount of money it takes to replace the car.

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
You can purchase the vehicle, just make sure you get the gap insurance. If the car is totaled or stolen, then the difference is paid by the gap insurance company. Never put money out of your pocket to buy a car for that reason. Keep the money in the bank, if you have the discipline not to spend it then use the 0.9% interest for 72 months, get the gap insurance and you'll be good. Yes the payments will be higher with no money down but let's say you buy a fully loaded golf sportwagen sel for 33,260-5000=28270 plus tax, title and tags. Round it up to $32,500. Your payment for 72 months will be around 475.00 a month, no money out of pocket. Now you put down $10,000 for the same car lowering you cost to 22,500, which on paper it looks better and not paying $475.00 monthly, maybe $325.00 monthly. That's $150.00 a month difference, which is $1,800 a year. Wouldn't you rather have that money in the bank for a rainy day? Maybe an unexpected repair, tires, brakes throughout the 6 years that you own the car? Now you give them the $10,000 it's gone!!! You total the car your $10,000 is gone!!! This is why you never put money down on a car.
you buy a car or a house with as little money down as possible, keep your money in the Bank working for you. Especially a car, worst purchase you can make. I agree never put money down on a car.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
you buy a car or a house with as little money down as possible, keep your money in the Bank working for you. Especially a car, worst investment you can make. I agree never put money down on a car.
Cars have NEVER been an investment. Marketing has sucked us into the total misnomer.

Capitalism at its best...

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
"35,500-8500=27,000, so you pay the lease for 3 months then pay the car off." You do not need to pay 3 months before paying off the lease. My first payment was due the 27th and I paid off my lease and purchased the Passat on the 20th and already have the title in hand. Saved well over $2,200.00 over the 2 year, 0% loan.

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
I picked up a new 2015 Jetta S TDI for my daughter last month. Got a really good deal. So far, everything is great with the car. When I stopped by to pick up my plates, I noticed they still have a few 2015 TDIs left on the lot. If you are in/near NJ and are still looking, here's what they have (all DSG):

Passat SE white/beige
Passat SEL Premium white/beige
Jetta S black/black
Golf Sportwagen S black/black
Golf SEL black/black

Again, these are all 2015 TDI with DSG.

If you are interested, my salesman's name is Vlad, call him at (646) 912-0131
This is at Douglas VW in Summit, NJ.

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
had a 13 Passat sel prem which I bought new, 72 days later it was totaled, not my fault. I paid 32k for the car insurance wrote me a check for 27K, had to sue for the other 5K. 2yrs later I finally got my day in court and lost.

Well, I just finished up switching the insurance to the new 17. I asked about totaled replacement cost and was told that in the State of Wash. if a new car is purchased with less than 150 miles on the odometer the full replacement cost for the first 15000 miles/12 months is the cost of the the original purchase.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I just finished up switching the insurance to the new 17. I asked about totaled replacement cost and was told that in the State of Wash. if a new car is purchased with less than 150 miles on the odometer the full replacement cost for the first 15000 miles/12 months is the cost of the the original purchase.
make sure your insurance company knows that, they will be the one paying not the State

AJonathan

TDI
2015 Passat SEL TDI sedan. Previously: 2012 Jetta TDI sedan, 2004 Passat GLS TDI Wagon, 2001 Jetta TDI
Got one for the wife. 2015 Passat SEL Maroon/Beige. Swapped out the 2012 Jetta. She loves it and it certainly is all the car I remember the Passat to be versus the Jetta.

My fourth and final (?) TDI.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Got one for the wife. 2015 Passat SEL Maroon/Beige. Swapped out the 2012 Jetta. She loves it and it certainly is all the car I remember the Passat to be versus the Jetta.

My fourth and final (?) TDI.
Yeah, it's all the car I need. I now have put around 120 miles on and am very favorably impressed with the ride and handling. The engine has less noise, and vibration than the 13 had. Turbo lag, which was my major dislike on the 13 has been remedied and is not an issue. I notice quicker rear camera viewing when shifting to reverse, as well.