Another DIY Trailer Hitch Project

Golf2K

TDI
2000 Golf
No sorry. The picture shows just an L shape milled out but I actually had binding issues as my measurements weren't quite bang on so I milled more off and just opened it up to a square hole instead.
I didn't take those measurements. I actually wound up milling the opening square. So the square opening on the end of the frame rail I just matched to the brackets. Then had it welded on the "outside edges" of the angle. Hope that makes sense?
Yes. I was thinking of trying to drill in a straight line, than clean it with a grinder. I take it you had to drill through the car to bolt up the angle iron.

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Yes. I was thinking of trying to drill in a straight line, than clean it with a grinder. I take it you had to drill through the car to bolt up the angle iron.
I think only one hole needs to be drilled. Once you look into the rail horns, you'll see there is just stickers over the factory holes. I think I just upsized them so my bolts would fit. I used 2" flat stock steel cut into squares on each side as washers.

Golf2K

TDI
2000 Golf
I think only one hole needs to be drilled. Once you look into the rail horns, you'll see there is just stickers over the factory holes. I think I just upsized them so my bolts would fit. I used 2" flat stock steel cut into squares on each side as washers.
I'm just curious did I purchase the correct hardware. I have six 1/2 inch thick by an inch and a half long grade 8 bolts, and lock washers and nuts the same grade. I have four M8X25 hex bolts 10.9 grade

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
I'm just curious did I purchase the correct hardware. I have six 1/2 inch thick by an inch and a half long grade 8 bolts, and lock washers and nuts the same grade. I have four M8X25 hex bolts 10.9 grade
I honestly can't remember the length of the 1/2" grade 8 bolts! If you have 2 - 1/4" square plates (as shown in pics), flat washers, lock washers and nyloc nuts that should be long enough. Can't remember whether I used 1 1/2 or 2 inch.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
Thank you for posting this! I like the design a lot! Very simple yet strong! I wish someone made a factory one like this! Way better than the little 1"-1/4 hitches I have seen. How does the golf tow for you?

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Thank you for posting this! I like the design a lot! Very simple yet strong! I wish someone made a factory one like this! Way better than the little 1"-1/4 hitches I have seen. How does the golf tow for you?
Hey thanks! I visually copied this design by sort of combining the Westfalia Euro Trailer Hitch or Bosal hitches that are available across the pond with other DIY designs I've seen on this forum. Although, I would dare to say mine is able to handle more load. The Golf has pulled 5x8 enclosed trailer for a couple of hundred kms. Also my light duty utility trailer for several dump runs. I get a kick out of renting U-Haul trailers and the attendant coming up loving the hidden receiver.

I pulled an enclosed 4x8 trailer medium loaded over 2000kms through mountains and flat highways ranging speeds from 80kph to 110kph and it pulled like a dream! I would highly, highly recommend anyone attempting this to install a boost and EGT gauge. A few times the EGT's climbed to 1100-1200 range prompting a downshift when going through mountains.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds good Ookpic! Thanks for the info. I can't wait to build my hitch. I am starting to pick up material.

Golf2K

TDI
2000 Golf
I am currently trying to get all of the holes made up. I had to drill one from the bottom up on the passenger side and I cannot find a reasonable spot on the drivers side for bottom up. Looking at where you folded over your heat shield. Did you remove your exhaust?

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
I am currently trying to get all of the holes made up. I had to drill one from the bottom up on the passenger side and I cannot find a reasonable spot on the drivers side for bottom up. Looking at where you folded over your heat shield. Did you remove your exhaust?
Yes, I have 3" stainless turbo back and it is in 3 pieces so I removed the muffler to get at the drivers side bottom.

Golf2K

TDI
2000 Golf
Right now I'm trying to figure out how to cut the plates, I used a bi-metal circle bit to get most of it away I feel like taking it to a machine shop because it's hard stuff. I'll post up when I'm finished.

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Right now I'm trying to figure out how to cut the plates, I used a bi-metal circle bit to get most of it away I feel like taking it to a machine shop because it's hard stuff. I'll post up when I'm finished.
Yes, I had all mine cut at the place where I bought the steel. Just had to use a grinder to get it perfect.

You forward to seeing pics

Golf2K

TDI
2000 Golf
Yes, I had all mine cut at the place where I bought the steel. Just had to use a grinder to get it perfect.
You forward to seeing pics
The point is to get the plates flush with the mouth of the frame rails. On my car the driver side frame rail opening is larger than the passenger side, and the passenger side also has a plate inside there, but with a little pushing you can get the angle iron past. I feel like the drivers side angle iron won't be flush against

Also my half inch thick bolts are too big to go through the holes that are already in the frame, but I have a step-bit to enlarge them, and I think I will keep these bolts because they look nice and they're very strong.

Not welding the plates to the car because I feel like I could take the hitch with me when this car decides it's no longer driveable.

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
The point is to get the plates flush with the mouth of the frame rails. On my car the driver side frame rail opening is larger than the passenger side, and the passenger side also has a plate inside there, but with a little pushing you can get the angle iron past. I feel like the drivers side angle iron won't be flush against
Also my half inch thick bolts are too big to go through the holes that are already in the frame, but I have a step-bit to enlarge them, and I think I will keep these bolts because they look nice and they're very strong.
Not welding the plates to the car because I feel like I could take the hitch with me when this car decides it's no longer driveable.
Yes the drivers side is larger hole than passenger and yeah the plate thing in the passenger side is a PITA. I stuck a crow bar in the end and bashed it over a bit so the angle steel fit nice and easy.

As for the plates....

I mounted the angle and bolted them in place. Then I slid the plates over and bolted them to the car. There is a small amount of play in the plates so you can adjust for flushness to the angle. Then I tacked everything on the car. Then I unbolted it all and carefully welded everything up on the bench test fitting it a few times along the way to make sure everything was still lined up. The plates are really only there for tongue weight.

Mine is fully removable as well which is the way I wanted it also.

Golf2K

TDI
2000 Golf
Yes the drivers side is larger hole than passenger and yeah the plate thing in the passenger side is a PITA. I stuck a crow bar in the end and bashed it over a bit so the angle steel fit nice and easy.
As for the plates....
I mounted the angle and bolted them in place. Then I slid the plates over and bolted them to the car. There is a small amount of play in the plates so you can adjust for flushness to the angle. Then I tacked everything on the car. Then I unbolted it all and carefully welded everything up on the bench test fitting it a few times along the way to make sure everything was still lined up. The plates are really only there for tongue weight.
Mine is fully removable as well which is the way I wanted it also.

Finding the flip up license plate holder is hard. I'd rather get it locally but nobody has it. I'll probably order from amazon.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I just poked the hitch out under the plate and cut out the plastic bumper cover

makes people laugh seeing a 2" receiver on a little car

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Ookpic: Do you happen to know the length of the tubing between the angle iron? (the main beam of the hitch) Thanks!

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry just saw your measurements on the first post..... Are the other mk4's similar setup with the "cushions"? My car is a wagon and i'm just wondering what I will find when I pull the bumper.

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
I just poked the hitch out under the plate and cut out the plastic bumper cover

makes people laugh seeing a 2" receiver on a little car
I know right?? LOL First time I went to U-Haul she said, "You don't have a hitch?". I lifted the plate and inserted the hitch and she was like, "That is the coolest hidden hitch I've ever seen!!"

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Sorry just saw your measurements on the first post..... Are the other mk4's similar setup with the "cushions"? My car is a wagon and i'm just wondering what I will find when I pull the bumper.
I don't know what the wagons or the sedans look like but I would assume everything would be the same? You'll have to pull your bumper cover and have a look. I'm about 95% sure it will be the same setup with the cushions.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I wish my license plate was on the bumper. :( I will probably give up the "look good" factor for convenience.

The wagon is the same. Just harder to make it look good and user friendly at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Yeah I wish my license plate was on the bumper. :( I will probably give up the "look good" factor for convenience.
I've seen some nice sedans done but agreed, much harder to make it look nice. If you have something to cut it out super straight, you could install magnets on the backside of the piece and have metal tabs around the edge of you cut out.