TURBO: 2012-2014 Passat turbo failures [discussion thread]

Djmerce

TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SE
turbo hissing noise ( like compressed air)

I was driving and all of sudden I heard hissing noise (like compressed air from compressor) from driver side @ 17 to 23 K rpms.Next day noise got louder and check engine light and glow plug light lit and my car went limp mode not exceding 40 mph.codes were P010100 AND P029900, U140A00 and 18149
Towed to dealership and found problem with pressure pipe slit open (part # 1K0145828T).Now I have to deal with transmission code 18149 clutch pressure adaptation at limit-Lower limit not reached.

Please help if any ideas.

Thank you

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
get the new hose installed, and drive the car- I bet the clutch problem will go away as the computer is letting the clutch out at the rate a properly running engine can handle. when your boost went away with the split pipe the computer is dropping the clutch like a teenager learning a stick shift throwing that code

Turtherlips

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/ Nav
Looking for some advice here: My 2012 passat turbo failed at 103k and I had it replaced by the dealer. I'm currently at 106k and the turbo failed again. Could there be an underlying problem here, or did I just draw the short straw on getting back to back bad turbos?

I have a call into VW customer care before I authorize them to fix my car.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Looking for some advice here: My 2012 passat turbo failed at 103k and I had it replaced by the dealer. I'm currently at 106k and the turbo failed again. Could there be an underlying problem here, or did I just draw the short straw on getting back to back bad turbos?
I have a call into VW customer care before I authorize them to fix my car.
Uhh...yeah...underlying problem is the dealer didn't do the job correctly. Probably didn't clean/clear properly, and the residual shrapnel killed the replacement turbo.
I would be very nervous having them do the job again, but that's the only way to get it replaced under the 12/12k warranty that came with the job. I would gently let them know the work (obviously) wasn't satisfactory, and they would need to assure me that the best tech in the shop is doing the job.
If it WAS their best tech...well...either you'll have another failure, or maybe...just maybe...the tech was having a bad day/week. It happens to all of us.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
sounds like they skipped the new oil lines and new oil pump part. be interesting to fetch some oil prior to taking it back in for repair and send it off to blackstone :D

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
The never ending turbo saga, I will be dumping this car as soon as VW announces their plan.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
The never ending turbo saga, I will be dumping this car as soon as VW announces their plan.
I plan to go the Malone and rawtek route as I love the car, hope I get a few bucks from VW to keep me. On the other hand my coworker just picked up a fusion plug in, she drives from battle ground to mall 205 before the gas engine kicks on. she put $10 fuel in when she bought it and hasn't needed to add any since april. Her electric bill hasent changed either with the off peak rates of $.04 kw

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I also added 2 50A outlets to my garage this weekend while I had the wall open during my Generator switchover panel install :D
I would be surprised if VW keeps TDI going after this, I fully expect a plug in Passat by 2018

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
(We're loving our 2015 Leaf...yes, I know...only 83mile (real world) range, but it's costing me about $00.013 per mile in [electric] fuel cost, all guaranteed wind generated. For a short commute, around town driving, it's amazing)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My plan is to get rid of the Passat to avoid all the upcoming issues, especially having to deal with dealership mechanics, and look into a nice, clean and pampered mid - 2000's Corvette convertible. I miss my 1965 Stingray Vette but can't go back to that due to cost ($$$$). Screw these "efficient" cars; I want some more spice in my life as time is getting short.

Wife can drive her SUV as she is thrilled with it. I'll keep the 2003 Jetta TDI with 300K on it for a backup.

mtbsteve

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/roof and nav
I plan to go the Malone and rawtek route as I love the car, hope I get a few bucks from VW to keep me. On the other hand my coworker just picked up a fusion plug in, she drives from battle ground to mall 205 before the gas engine kicks on. she put $10 fuel in when she bought it and hasn't needed to add any since april. Her electric bill hasent changed either with the off peak rates of $.04 kw
Off topic but the 2013+ Fusion Hybrid and Energi models have come up in my searches as potential replacement cars depending on the details of the pending news on 6/28. Both can be found as 2013/2014 models with fairly low mileage for half or less than what they cost new, many available in the $15-$20k range. Depending on rumored TDI compensation and buyback, you could potentially be into a semi-loaded to loaded (potentially CPO too) 2013 with ~20k-~30k mileage for little to no money, even coming from my 80k mile 2012. Others in the mix are used Mazda 6 GT or used Buick Lacrosse (4cyl mild hybrid) to keep the monthly payments 0 or very low and have a decent size car for my tall self and kid seats that take up more space than you would think. Still not sure of the hybrid/plug in route given battery degradation and that my current monthly rate is running at 21.9 cents per kwh, and current regular gas prices at $2.29/gallon making the financial savings a wash more or less with ~20 miles of available all electric range after plugging in. Anyway, for me it is fun to research even these boring commuter scooters and run the numbers even though I don't let that dictate 100% of the decision.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
Nothing 30MPG+ is as fun to drive like a TDI, your correct the 28th will be very interesting to say the least. 21.9 cents per kwh :eek: Holy moly, that would rule out any plug in for sure! We have a choice of 7 cents anytime or 13 cents peak 4 cents off peak. Hondanews.com just announced the 50MPG (real world) accord :D and it does really get 50 on cheap RUG

mtbsteve

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/roof and nav
Nothing 30MPG+ is as fun to drive like a TDI, your correct the 28th will be very interesting to say the least. 21.9 cents per kwh :eek: Holy moly, that would rule out any plug in for sure! We have a choice of 7 cents anytime or 13 cents peak 4 cents off peak. Hondanews.com just announced the 50MPG (real world) accord :D and it does really get 50 on cheap RUG
I agree but just like the TDI was a journey into slightly alternative propulsion compared to my past RUG vehicles, I am open to trying something else just for the sake that it drives/behaves differently - within reason (as defined by me but left undefined here as this thread is about turbos). Electric rates are pretty horrible, not even sure if we have an option to save off-peak or not, it isn't spelled out in any bills I have seen. The 21.9 cents figure just bumped up to 22.1 cents per kwh this past month, 10.8 cents for generation and 11.3 cents per kwh delivery. Last years combined average for generation and delivery was 24.3 cents per kwh which for now means no financial gain from running a plug in hybrid vs hybrid.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Continuing off-topic: In Ft. Worth, I'm paying 6.9cents per kwh, hence my 1.2cents per mile figure.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'd like to introduce you all to the EV thread in the General Automotive section. We have been discussing electric cars, plug-in hybrids, and regular hybrids for quite some time. Recent discussion has been focused on the gen 2 Chevy Volt, which is the longest range plug-in "hybrid" available.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=448191

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome thanks! Its sorta on topic due to everyone's issues with turbos, nox sensors and ad-blue heaters :D

cj25

TDI
2013 Passat
Our 2013 with 118k miles just had the turbo fail. It's at the dealer being replaced now. Is there anything we should confirm through the paperwork to make sure it was done correctly? What is usually replaced when they do the turbo warranty work?

ETA - are our rental car costs covered for this warranty repair?

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
What is usually replaced when they do the turbo warranty work?

ETA - are our rental car costs covered for this warranty repair?
Turbo
oil feed line,
all fasteners
any seals or hoses in the boost piping that are faulty

The intercooler and lines should have been checked and flushed if any metal debris and oil from the turbo failure got into them.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
New oil pump (per VW TSB for this repair), couple oil changes. The couple I have done varried on how much got replaced. If I found metal in the intercooler (Passat its that metal box vertical attached to throttle body) it gets replaced also.

Jason

cj25

TDI
2013 Passat
Interesting because we called today to find out if they could do the remaining items on the 120k service, since they are already doing the oil change because they are replacing the oil pump, lines, filter, etc. But they said they aren't changing the oil for this repair, so we'll still have to do a 120k service. Does the service guy just not know what he's talking about since he isn't the mechanic doing the work?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
They want you to take the oil drain pipe off and block the hole in the engine block with a bolt. Then you run the engine like this to flush and metal debris out of engine. Also supposed to replace the oil filter cap.

This all assumes the standard turbo failure that blows shrapnel throughout the system.

Jason

PS: TSB 21-16-01 - Engine Lacks Performance, Shaft of Turbine Fan of Turbo Charger Broken or Seized

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
myself and 3 friends are running our ckra's hard without any sign of turbo problems using high quality 5w40 oil (not Castrol junk) treated with a can of lubro molly mos2 :D

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
Using the same LiquiMoly 5w40 Synthoil

myself and 3 friends are running our ckra's hard without any sign of turbo problems using high quality 5w40 oil (not Castrol junk) treated with a can of lubro molly mos2 :D
Same for our 2012 with 72k Miles. Can't go wrong with this from Napa.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
yup good stuff, my friend uses it in his farm engines- if I convert the hours to miles (60 mph) it would have over 3 million miles on his combine

TDIpstick

TDI
02 jetta ALH "upgraded" to 12 Passat CKRA
almost made it to my buyback, and as murphy's law would have it, i broke down, all dashboard lights came on, dead on the side of the road 89k ....
-first dealer told me a i needed a new battery, old battery was still under warranty so i ran around town taking care of that
-second dealer said it was bad MAF $500 - i gave them the go ahead because i was going to be out of town for a few weeks, and wanted to get my car back when i returned home
-third dealer said it was a bad turbo, replaced it under warranty, should do the trick, battery, MAF, Turbo.... Nope still no power, basically in limp mode
-fourth dealer tells me i need new EGR and boost pressure sensor $1,000 back home unhappy about the $500 i just spent on the MAF, i towed my '12 passat ckra home and replaced the EGR (03L 131 501 K)and boost pressure sensor (1K0 906 627 B)

still no power and throwing codes:

2 Faults Found:
5171 - Boost Pressure Regulation
P0299 00 [109] - Control Range Not Reached
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 143320 km
Date: 2017.12.21
Time: 08:43:41

Engine speed: 2057.00 /min
Normed load value: 99.6 %
Vehicle speed: 17 km/h
Coolant temperature: 57 °C
Intake air temperature: 27 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 14.320 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Charge air pressure specified value: 1999 hPa
Charge air pressure: actual value: 1054 hPa
Air mass: actual value (mg/stroke): 388.4 mg/stroke
EGR Solen.val.: actual value: 99.74 %
Throttle valve adapter: actual value: 99.46 %
Charge Pressure Actuator: acknowledgment: 98.60 %
Mean injection quantity: 23.22 mg/stroke

12896 - Boost Pressure Regulation
P0299 00 [237] - Control Range Not Reached
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 143320 km
Date: 2017.12.21
Time: 08:43:41

Engine speed: 2057.00 /min
Normed load value: 99.6 %
Vehicle speed: 17 km/h
Coolant temperature: 57 °C
Intake air temperature: 27 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 14.320 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Charge air pressure specified value: 1999 hPa
Charge air pressure: actual value: 1054 hPa
Air mass: actual value (mg/stroke): 388.4 mg/stroke
EGR Solen.val.: actual value: 99.74 %
Throttle valve adapter: actual value: 99.46 %
Charge Pressure Actuator: acknowledgment: 98.60 %
Mean injection quantity: 22.98 mg/stroke

bad turbo install? any ideas? will VW execute buyback in limp mode?

TDIpstick

TDI
02 jetta ALH "upgraded" to 12 Passat CKRA
thanks aja8888....

my original plan was to drive it another 9 months then sell back...

hoping other users have a solution?

so i can keep driving for a little while longer

flyboybob

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi se dsg, ‘15 passat tdi sel premium
.......boost pressure sensor (1K0 906 627 B)
bad turbo install? any ideas? will VW execute buyback in limp mode?
The part you listed here (1K0 906 627 B) is the turbo controller solenoid...not the boost pressure sensor. Turbo boost is actually sensed by the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor. The p/n is 03G906051E. Located on the outlet side of the intercooler. Easy to check. Remove two screws and it will pull out. Four pin connection plug is easily damaged so i wouldn't remove it unless your replacing the sensor (don't ask me how I know). The sensor sells for approx $100 at the dealer but can be found more competitively priced on the web.
Hope that helps.
bob.

Edited to replace "EGR" with "turbo" and added "solenoid". (Oops! ;)

Last edited: