Gen 2 Fix Approved

boomer1

TDI
2013 TDI Passat
Fix Approved for 2012-2014 TDI Passats with AT

By David Shepardson | WASHINGTON

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board on Friday announced approval of a fix for about 84,000 older Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) diesel vehicles that can emit excess emissions.

Volkswagen, the world's largest automaker, agreed last year to offer to buy back up to 475,000 2.0-liter diesel vehicles that had been sold in the United States or offer fixes if regulators approved.

Friday's announcement covers a fix for 84,390 2012-2014 Passat diesel vehicles with automatic transmissions. [/B]A fix for vehicles with manual transmissions has not yet been approved.

In January, regulators approved a fix for 67,000 2015 model diesels, leaving around 325,000 older vehicles still awaiting approval for a fix.

Volkswagen spokeswoman Jeannine Ginivan said the automaker is pleased that it has received regulatory approval for the fixes.

California Air Resources Board executive officer Richard Corey said the approval "is another important step in efforts to repair the environmental harm caused by these vehicles."

EPA confirmed its approval in a letter posted on its website on Friday.

Until regulators approved a fix in January, VW had been barred by authorities from selling 12,000 new 2015 diesel Golf, Beetle and Passat cars after the German automaker admitted to using secret software to exceed emission limits for six years.

In April, VW resumed selling those 2015 diesel cars in the United States and said they accounted for nearly 12 percent of its April sales.

Earlier this month, Volkswagen also began selling some of the 2015 diesel models it had repurchased, but the company has not yet disclosed how many of those vehicles it has sold.

ALSO IN U.S.

Volkswagen has bought back or terminated leases on around 280,000 vehicles.

Volkswagen has agreed to spend up to $25 billion to address claims from U.S. owners, environmental regulators, states and dealers, and offered to buy back about 500,000 polluting U.S. vehicles, including some 3.0 liter vehicles.

On Wednesday, a federal judge issued a written order granting final approval for Volkswagen AG to fix or buy back 80,000 larger 3.0-liter diesel Porsche, Audi and VW vehicles in the United States.

Volkswagen has agreed to buy back 20,000 2009-2012 diesel vehicles and plans to fix 58,000 newer ones if regulators approve. The settlement could be worth $1.2 billion if all older models are repurchased.

(Reporting by David Shepardson; editing by Phil Berlowitz)

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
I just found out about the fix being approved last night on Reddit. Quite pleased by this. I've been sitting on my offer paperwork for 3-4 months waiting to see what came down the pipeline as my plan is to have the fix done and keep the car. Going to get it notarized and submitted today finally.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Wish there was more details about what "said fix" is will it be two stages like the 150HP TDIs and what warranty they are offering.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Great to hear as I was keeping mine anyway! If fix is indeed software only I imagine it won't be too long before it can be performed on the affected 2012-2014 DSG Passats.

J

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi.... my 6th TDi!! a4, a3, b4, a5, my b7 and wife has a '11 JSW.. :)
how much longer can the 6 speed manual be behind?

If they are already working on the Passat fix, how much longer can the manual fix be?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
2 possibilities here:

- they worked, on a "generic" Gen2 fix. When applied to manuals, they couldn't meet the emission targets, fix only really worked with DSG (as they can control the gears). This would be bad news for us 6MT owners. They might just say - fixing 6MT is too hard, not even worth it for the few thousand of stick owners, let them take BB, full stop, move on to fix for Gen1 autos.

OR

- they first worked on fix for DSGs. Now that it's been approved and experience gained, they move onto the 6MT. That's better outcome for us 6MT owners.

Which is it ? Dont think anyone but VW knows.

Certainly, the verbiage in the press stmt was ambiguous. Germans are not great communicators for sure.

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
2 possibilities here:

- they worked, on a "generic" Gen2 fix. When applied to manuals, they couldn't meet the emission targets, fix only really worked with DSG (as they can control the gears). This would be bad news for us 6MT owners. They might just say - fixing 6MT is too hard, not even worth it for the few thousand of stick owners, let them take BB, full stop, move on to fix for Gen1 autos.

OR

- they first worked on fix for DSGs. Now that it's been approved and experience gained, they move onto the 6MT. That's better outcome for us 6MT owners.

Which is it ? Dont think anyone but VW knows.

Certainly, the verbiage in the press stmt was ambiguous. Germans are not great communicators for sure.
Really hope it's the latter.

Even though I'll have this car until September 2018 regardless, would be nice to know if I should have my eye on a different vehicle in the interim (would also love to get some custom work done to the Passat if I'm keeping it).

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmm....that article says the fix is available now, but I just finished, submitted, and had my final offer for emissions fix paperwork done today, and when I went back to the portal, it says no fix is available.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Ouch. ... only the SW. No free DPF/NOx Cat refresh, like with Gen3.

Like I speculated elsewhere, they are forcing higher RPM while engine is cold. And, I am still afraid, therein lies the reason they couldnt fix the 6MT the same way. No way to control the gear.

DEF consumption might increase 2X+ - however the likely increase in wear of NOx cat is not addressed. Like we learned in chemistry classes looong while back, catalyst facilitates a chem reaction but is NOT consumed in process :)

Best thing that could happen for owners - it would wear out and quit during the 48K wty bump.

What did EA189 in: it simply takes forever to come up to the temp. Mine, on a cold NJ winter morning, takes up to 5 miles of brisk driving to get that needle vertical. Darn NOx cat sits too far from engine, is kept cold by air running in under-the-car tunnel and takes even longer to come up to the temp where the reduction reaction can actually take place.

And that's why in EA288 they have the "standing coolant" mode and DPF/NOx Cat assy is bolted directly past turbo, where there's no moving cold air and exhaust gases are at their max temp.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This announcement does nothing to move me from the buyback. Even if it contained any particulars about what the effect(s) of the fix on the car's performance and fuel efficiency were, it probably still wouldn't change anything for me.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Ouch. ... only the SW. No free DPF/NOx Cat refresh, like with Gen3.
Like I speculated elsewhere, they are forcing higher RPM while engine is cold. And, I am still afraid, therein lies the reason they couldnt fix the 6MT the same way. No way to control the gear.
DEF consumption might increase 2X+ - however the likely increase in wear of NOx cat is not addressed. Like we learned in chemistry classes looong while back, catalyst facilitates a chem reaction but is NOT consumed in process .... riiight
Best thing that could happen for owners - it would wear out and quit during the 48K wty bump.
What did EA189 in: it simply takes forever to come up to the temp. Mine, on a cold NJ winter morning, takes up to 5 miles of brisk driving to get that needle vertical. Darn NOx cat sits too far from engine, is kept cold by air running in under-the-car tunnel and takes even longer to come up to the temp where the reduction reaction can actually take place.
And that's why in EA288 they have the "standing coolant" mode and DPF/NOx Cat assy is bolted directly past turbo, where there's no moving cold air and exhaust gases are at their max temp. They also thermally insulate it (cause they have to to save the bay from scorching temps) - and that helps these to come up to the temp even sooner.
Thats why the Gen 3 fix addresses BOTH the 6MT and DSG, as they have enough reserves in the engine design.

After EA189 comes up to the temp and NOx Cat is operating, I am sure modified emissions #s are met, event with 6MT.

It is the initial minutes after cold start when it is so hard to control them.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So with our 2012 with 80k on the clock looks like we'd pocket 7K and then get a 4 yr/48K warranty.

Or we could sell back and pocket 20K.

Thinking buy back still, if we didn't have the 2015, it'd be a different story.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
Glad we decided on the buyback and now own a 2015 SEL. 11Y 162K warranty will be good through 2028. Our 2013 would have had a 6y 80K extended warranty. We did really like our 2013 but the 2015 so far is getting better mileage and the SEL is a nicer ride all in all.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I read that entire PDF, sounds like injection timing changes, shift point changes (maybe no more 4th gear lug @30mph) and maybe not using pilot injection at part throttle operation- thus the louder sounds- that's actually a good thing! oh and my 2013 with 71k only shows a $6100 payment :confused:

Last edited:

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm wondering when they're going to start actually doing the fix. My car sees more miles than average and I know it's already going to affect my payment negatively, not to mention I am making a 1K plus mile road trip over 3 days in June.

J

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi.... my 6th TDi!! a4, a3, b4, a5, my b7 and wife has a '11 JSW.. :)
2 possibilities here:
OR
Please lord let them get the fix for the manuals worked out! I am really looking fwd to the fix now since I've read all about the gen 3 cars that have been fixed.
Did the gen 3 fix cover both MT and AT cars?

Oh here is the URL to the PDF guide to what gets fixed on the AT passats:
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/e...ssions_Modification_Disclosure_Volkswagen.pdf

BCPassat

TDI
2013 Passat.
Please lord let them get the fix for the manuals worked out! I am really looking fwd to the fix now since I've read all about the gen 3 cars that have been fixed.
Did the gen 3 fix cover both MT and AT cars?
Oh here is the URL to the PDF guide to what gets fixed on the AT passats:
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/e...ssions_Modification_Disclosure_Volkswagen.pdf
Amen to that.

It seems the AT fix was pretty simple, the 2015s MT were fixable, logic would say ours should be too. Yes I am optimistic!

I'l be keeping the car anyway whether a fix or no fix, the fix and $$ would be a nice bonus.

osbeckc

TDI
2014 Passat

boomer1

TDI
2013 TDI Passat
Has anybody heard from VW of America on this repair as yet? Seems they are way over the ten days the court said they had to contact customers. Just curious.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Checked the website at lunch and was able to schedule an appointment for the fix.
I am set for Tuesday AM.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Just saw it was updated. Scheduling now.

*Edit* Killer. Monday at 2PM (provided my Dr doesn't put me in for surgery for my foot as I have an appointment that morning at 8 AM). Best part is that this will be done prior to my 1500+ mile road trip at the end of the week, so I'll also be able to get a solid gauge of what economy is gong to do afterwards.

Last edited: